Braves, Bourn & Swisher

BlackSox13

It's been so boring I decided to make a thread about it, so shoot me. And Sox fans think they have it bad with LaRoche. Yep, things could be worse. Thankfully the Sox only have one horrible contract for one more year..

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/16041...n-braves-future

"Though Swisher and Bourn are positioned to serve as backup options for the projected starting outfielders (Olivera, Inciarte and Markakis), the Braves are trying to trade at least one of them with the understanding the team would have to eat a significant portion of the salary."

Edited by BlackSox13

In my opinion I'd say our situation is worse with LaRoche since we are trying to compete while worst case scenario for them is they keep them on the bench for one year. They aren't winning or losing their division despite having them or not having them. Plus taking them on for a year helped them get rid of Chris Johnson's 2 remaining seasons. And combined they make $29 mil this year with the Indians paying 10 of that so only 19 mill. I think they will end up eating some money and moving Bourn while just eating Swisher's remaining one year (what they did with Quentin) or just keeping him on the bench.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
In my opinion I'd say our situation is worse with LaRoche since we are trying to compete while worst case scenario for them is they keep them on the bench for one year. They aren't winning or losing their division despite having them or not having them. Plus taking them on for a year helped them get rid of Chris Johnson's 2 remaining seasons. And combined they make $29 mil this year with the Indians paying 10 of that so only 19 mill. I think they will end up eating some money and moving Bourn while just eating Swisher's remaining one year (what they did with Quentin) or just keeping him on the bench.

The Sox can do the same with LaRoche and utilize him in a late inning bench roll (PH/1B defense) while still trying to compete. IMHO, LaRoche's 13M is better than Swisher and Bourn's combined 19M.

It's not so much LaRoche's salary is single handedly handcuffing the Sox, its the overall money spent last winter on a combination of three free agents. 2016 salaries for those free agents are 13M for LaRoche, 14M for Melky, 12M for Robertson. That's 39M for just three players which accounts for 1/3 of the overall payroll at this time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really not complaining about those signings last winter as its all in hindsight now. Just pointing out that those contracts on their own aren't bad, its when they add up that creates a problem. That's alot of money for just three players on a roster of 25.

"Because the Dodgers have already provided a $28.5 million signing bonus, the Braves will simply be responsible for the $32.5 million Olivera is owed from 2016-20. Atlanta also saved some money as the Dodgers are picking up an undisclosed portion of the approximate $7.6 million owed to Arroyo, who has been recovering from Tommy John surgery since the Braves acquired him from the D-backs in the Touki Toussaint deal a month ago.

Though the 30-year-old Olivera has played just 19 professional games, the Braves have seen enough of him in international play and during multiple workouts this past winter to believe it made much more sense to provide him an average annual salary of $6.5 million over the next five seasons than to pay the much more significant price that would have been required to land a proven bat via free agency or trade."

Mlb.com

Something else to consider...financially.

The Sox aren't in a worse position with Laroche. Swisher has been hurt a lot and is declining. Laroche had a down year and still fields his position well. The chances for him rebounding are much better than the other two Atlanta must deal with. I am not saying we shouldn't be actively trying to move him, but if he stays with the Sox he can still be productive platooning at 1B and being the DH

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
"Because the Dodgers have already provided a $28.5 million signing bonus, the Braves will simply be responsible for the $32.5 million Olivera is owed from 2016-20. Atlanta also saved some money as the Dodgers are picking up an undisclosed portion of the approximate $7.6 million owed to Arroyo, who has been recovering from Tommy John surgery since the Braves acquired him from the D-backs in the Touki Toussaint deal a month ago.

Though the 30-year-old Olivera has played just 19 professional games, the Braves have seen enough of him in international play and during multiple workouts this past winter to believe it made much more sense to provide him an average annual salary of $6.5 million over the next five seasons than to pay the much more significant price that would have been required to land a proven bat via free agency or trade."

Mlb.com

Something else to consider...financially.

?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
?

The Braves aren't as worried about Bourn, Swisher, Markakis because they saved a ton of money on Olivera compared to what they were planning to pay him as a free agent before last season. They also got money back with Arroyo.

That said, they certainly will clear them from the roster for the right price.

Finally, let's not forget the Braves also got $11 million back with Swisher and Bourn.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
It's been so boring I decided to make a thread about it, so shoot me. And Sox fans think they have it bad with LaRoche. Yep, things could be worse. Thankfully the Sox only have one horrible contract for one more year..

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/16041...n-braves-future

"Though Swisher and Bourn are positioned to serve as backup options for the projected starting outfielders (Olivera, Inciarte and Markakis), the Braves are trying to trade at least one of them with the understanding the team would have to eat a significant portion of the salary."

It sure would be nice to see LaRoche have a good spring training and follow that up throughout the year. What a plus that would be for our 2016 season. One can hope.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
It sure would be nice to see LaRoche have a good spring training and follow that up throughout the year. What a plus that would be for our 2016 season. One can hope.

If LaRoche isn't comeback player of the year - then his season was a failure.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 4, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)

LaRoche will get a chance to show the Sox something in ST so its up to him. Maybe adding Frazier, Lawrie and one of the free agents to the lineup will somehow help him. Would be nice if he could be the left handed power bat the middle of the order needs. At this point, hope is all we have for LaRoche. He was so bad in '15 I think he will improve to some extent, its just a matter of how much.