Marlins sign Dee Gordon to 5 year/$50 million deal

OmarComing25

Not a bad deal for the Marlins. With the glut of OF options likely costing Cespedes and Upton a lot of money this offseason, I expect more guys to agree to extensions like Gordon did before they join the "greatest ever" FA class.

Edit: Title got cut off, there's a $14 million vesting option for a 6th year.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Not a bad deal for the Marlins. With the glut of OF options likely costing Cespedes and Upton a lot of money this offseason, I expect more guys to agree to extensions like Gordon did before they join the "greatest ever" FA class.

Edit: Title got cut off, there's a $14 million vesting option for a 6th year.

This is what I hope the Sox eventually do with Lawrie and maybe even Frazier at some point. Anyway....

Smart move by the Marlins extending Gordon and at pretty cheap price too. Hell of a lead bat and plays excellent 2B.

This is a great deal, Gordon for $10 million a year? Batting average & stolen base champion, and had very good defensive #'s last season. That is a bargain and a half at $10 million/year.

Hypothetically, would you rather be paying Gordon $50 for 5 seasons of control, or Cespedes/Upton at $50 million for just 2 seasons? Strong case can be made either way imo.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
This is a great deal, Gordon for $10 million a year? Batting average & stolen base champion, and had very good defensive #'s last season. That is a bargain and a half at $10 million/year.

Hypothetically, would you rather be paying Gordon $50 for 5 seasons of control, or Cespedes/Upton at $50 million for just 2 seasons? Strong case can be made either way imo.

I'd take Gordon in a heartbeat but I'm a big fan of speed and defense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
This is what I hope the Sox eventually do with Lawrie and maybe even Frazier at some point. Anyway....

Smart move by the Marlins extending Gordon and at pretty cheap price too. Hell of a lead bat and plays excellent 2B.

It takes two to tango, and the White Sox are one of the leaders in these types of deals. If it isn't getting done, odds are the player doesn't want to do it.

Unfair to compare this to an open market contract for Cespedes/et al. 5/$50 seems great, but don't forget he was still an arb guy before this deal, so it isn't as much of a discount as it seems once you factor that in. MLBTR put his arb projection at $5.9 for 2016. Assuming raises to $9 and $12 in 2017 and 2018 (total stabs in the dark, I admit), that would make this more like a $2/23 extension. Which is still nice.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
Unfair to compare this to an open market contract for Cespedes/et al. 5/$50 seems great, but don't forget he was still an arb guy before this deal, so it isn't as much of a discount as it seems once you factor that in. MLBTR put his arb projection at $5.9 for 2016. Assuming raises to $9 and $12 in 2017 and 2018 (total stabs in the dark, I admit), that would make this more like a $2/23 extension. Which is still nice.

Could just say it buys out 2 years of free agency or whatever.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)

No kidding. good post.