Jay Bruce anyone?

shipps

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
So, is there a known reason why he just stopped being good 2 years ago?

2014, he had a bad knee and was playing through it.

2015, he was cruising along like his old self until he went into a tailspin the last couple months. I remember wanting the Sox to trade for him at the deadline. His BABIP went from .292 in the first half to .205 in the second half and I'm not sure there's a good reason. I'm not quite ready to stick a fork in him; his contract is relatively attractive; and people want power in the outfield, there it is.

The tipping point, however, is I just want a better defender than Bruce. By sticking him out there, you admit you're fine with an outfield full of butchers.

I'd be in on Bruce. The sudden change in performance seems to possibly be an aberration brought on by injury. This may make him a really good buy low candidate. Also couple that with the fact that it seems like Cincy has lost in every deal this offseason makes me feel comfortable that Hahn can work a deal we won't scream about. His salary isn't bad, and the window is aligned with cabrera, frazier, etc.

I can get behind this option.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
He was worth 1 WAR over Avi last year. So technically he would still be an upgrade unless Avi makes that jump.

He's also paid $10 million more than Avi and will cost talent to acquire. Is that really worth a 1 WAR upgrade? I would rather take the chance that Avi progresses. I think Bruce is done.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
He's also paid $10 million more than Avi and will cost talent to acquire. Is that really worth a 1 WAR upgrade? I would rather take the chance that Avi progresses. I think Bruce is done.

There is no way in the world anyone winds up paying that whole 10mil and I would doubt you would have to give up much of anything to get him. I personally dont have interest in him but the Sox do tend to stay fixated on certain players that they like and pursue them when the buy is low.