OF Options

rhuesmann35

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
“We’re looking for any way to get better,” Hahn said, when asked if he liked to add another outfielder. “The final couple spots on the roster will come down to a combination of platoon advantage, speed, defense and positional flexibility.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/brett-...-series-caliber

I have a feeling Will Venable is the most likely fit.

He fits 2 of those categories. The other 2 definitely not.

Interesting comment from Cafardo's Sunday article:

4. Don’t be shocked if the Dodgers part ways with Carl Crawford and eat the remaining $42 million on his contract. There comes a point of diminishing returns — and a time to fill his roster spot with a younger, more productive player — and it seems the Dodgers are getting closer to that point.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/02/...SBUL/story.html

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen wrote today that the belief is Fowler is out of the Sox price range.

It's just hard for me to believe that Fowler at 2-3 years & $12M per is out of their price range but Cespedes & Gordon at a much higher rate wasn't. That's the type of thing that frustrates me, honestly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Interesting comment from Cafardo's Sunday article:

4. Don’t be shocked if the Dodgers part ways with Carl Crawford and eat the remaining $42 million on his contract. There comes a point of diminishing returns — and a time to fill his roster spot with a younger, more productive player — and it seems the Dodgers are getting closer to that point.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/02/...SBUL/story.html

I'd certainly take him over Avi if the Dodgers ate his entire contract.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
It's just hard for me to believe that Fowler at 2-3 years & $12M per is out of their price range but Cespedes & Gordon at a much higher rate wasn't. That's the type of thing that frustrates me, honestly.

Again, might have been special circumstances for "star" players or the Sox backloading those contracts like crazy. We still have not heard a single confirmation that a legitimate offer was made to those guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Based off of what stats? Just wondering what you're looking at.

Defensive runs saved he actually was a minus in each position in the outfield. Awful in RF. Serviceable in LF. God Awful in CF.

The best part is he had almost no assists in the outfield.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
Again, might have been special circumstances for "star" players or the Sox backloading those contracts like crazy. We still have not heard a single confirmation that a legitimate offer was made to those guys.

I guess I'm just confused to why Fowler is valued as "worth it". Going rate for 1 WAR is what $7M? Fowler averages 2 WAR+ each year, so to me that seems like a very nice value.

Just confusing, I guess.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
I guess I'm just confused to why Fowler is valued as "worth it". Going rate for 1 WAR is what $7M? Fowler averages 2 WAR+ each year, so to me that seems like a very nice value.

Just confusing, I guess.

Cause he sucks on defense and would cost them a draft pick

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Defensive runs saved he actually was a minus in each position in the outfield. Awful in RF. Serviceable in LF. God Awful in CF.

The best part is he had almost no assists in the outfield.

Good stuff, thanks. Don't get me wrong, I want someone way better than Venable. Just seems based off of the description given by Hahn that it won't be a full-time starter that they go after.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
You'd still need Avi. The guy hasn't played in more than 130 games since 2010. He hasn't played in more than 116 since 2011.

That's what Shuck and Sands are for.

A Melky/Eaton/Crawford outfield with Shuck as the 4th outfielder and Sands as the 5th outfielder/platoon DH with LaRoche would be nice.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Good stuff, thanks. Don't get me wrong, I want someone way better than Venable. Just seems based off of the description given by Hahn that it won't be a full-time starter that they go after.

Hopefully they come to some agreement with Jackson. He's the best fit. Defensively it would be a huge plus. We would save basically 11 runs by replacing Garcia with him. That could be a couple games worth of runs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
That's what Shuck and Sands are for.

A Melky/Eaton/Crawford outfield with Shuck as the 4th outfielder and Sands as the 5th outfielder/platoon DH with LaRoche would be nice.

That outfield isn't a contending outfield. Crawford is unreliable, and holy cow would the team suck vs LHP.

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Hopefully they come to some agreement with Jackson. He's the best fit. Defensively it would be a huge plus. We would save basically 11 runs by replacing Garcia with him. That could be a couple games worth of runs.

From the same article about Crawford, there was a blurb linking the Cubs and Rangers to Jackson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
From the same article about Crawford, there was a blurb linking the Cubs and Rangers to Jackson.

Yeah those were the two that have been linked to him for a while. Hopefully they are in discussions with him and he realizes he has a much better shot to start here.

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Yeah those were the two that have been linked to him for a while. Hopefully they are in discussions with him and he realizes he has a much better shot to start here.

I was hoping the Rangers would sign Stubbs or Venable. Stubbs was linked to them over the weekend. It just seems with Jackson that if the Sox were interested, they would have locked him up by now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
I was hoping the Rangers would sign Stubbs or Venable. Stubbs was linked to them over the weekend. It just seems with Jackson that if the Sox were interested, they would have locked him up by now.

A Rangers writer linked them to Venable the other day. Hopefully they take him. Otherwise...as much as it pains me...I'd rather just go into the season with Garcia. Hahn will have to live with his mistake until the deadline.