Morrissey: JR/Sox don't care what fans think/want

caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Simply because over the past 30 years the town has turned completely on to the Cubs. Those fans (some call them lemmings) will pay any amount of money to watch "their Cubbies..."

And if they happen to get to or win a World Series in the next few years, cable companies will be breaking down their doors to put them on.

The Cubs aren't totally stupid they took the gamble on Heyward for a reason Kenney came right out and said why.

Time will tell of course, but I'm willing to put up a few dollars that when all is said and done my scenario will be closer to reality.

SportsVision was a huge gamble, the idea was brilliant but ahead of its time. History has shown that since RSN's dominate the market now, the Cubs aren't dealing with the same landscape from many areas and standpoints.

Mark

But independent RSN's have largely struggled. That is the landscape of right now. Even two of histories most storied franchises can't get full saturation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2016 -> 11:35 PM)
Sell the team. Move the team to Naperville for gawd sakes. Build a fricking palace (like the one they had in Arlington; same principle; Arlington is not Dallas). The suburbs will go CRAZY for White Sox baseball. Very true you are offending a lot of loyal baby boomer south siders who don't wanna come out to suburbia. That's sad, but how many people you talking about there? 10,000 max true South Siders who go to games? The true blue collar Sox fans from the south side probably can't afford tickets/parking/food anyway.

New owner. New palace in suburbia privately funded. Just.Do.It. Naperville is the spot. The only people against it would be 50 to 70 year old white guys who live on the south side and eat their beef sandwiches and drink their Schlitz/Old Style. True, they won't be caught dead driving to Naperville, but there's not a ton of them anyway.

The money is in suburbia anyway. Make us the elite team. New rich owner! New awesome stadium! The Chicago White Sox play in Naperville!!! Can you dig it?

Atlanta also has made the move to the suburbs. They were located on the southside of ATL and not in a great area. While they did piss off a lot of fans from the southern burbs, the map they had of tv viewers, season ticket holders, etc., was heavily weighted toward the northern suburbs, which is where they'll be playing next season.

I think the Sox can definitely survive in Chicagoland long-term.

Has Reinsdorf ever made any mention of what he wants to happen to the Sox when he passes?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 31, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Atlanta also has made the move to the suburbs. They were located on the southside of ATL and not in a great area. While they did piss off a lot of fans from the southern burbs, the map they had of tv viewers, season ticket holders, etc., was heavily weighted toward the northern suburbs, which is where they'll be playing next season.

Has Reinsdorf ever made any mention of what he wants to happen to the Sox when he passes?

A few years back he said he expected the team to be sold.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)

On more than one occasion and as 'recently' as May 2004 he told Bob Sirott on Chicago Tonight that when he's gone he's advised to family to sell the team. He's also said that his family has no interest in retaining the franchise when he's gone. That also he said publicly.

I've been told by two sources, one of who worked for the Sox, that his wife has been asking him to sell and get out for years but so far he's refused to do so.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:14 AM)
No, not at all.
If I were to make a list of major companies, landmarks, events etc. that used to be part of the south side of Chicago and no longer exist it would be a very long one. Given the massive demographic shifts in the US the last 5 decades or so there is nothing etched in stone that says Chicago has to have 2 MLB teams. Do I think they will move in the next 15-20 years? Right now I'd put the odds 60-40 or so against it, but if I'm still around and it happens I won't be shocked.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2016 -> 05:35 AM)
Sell the team. Move the team to Naperville for gawd sakes. Build a fricking palace (like the one they had in Arlington; same principle; Arlington is not Dallas). The suburbs will go CRAZY for White Sox baseball. Very true you are offending a lot of loyal baby boomer south siders who don't wanna come out to suburbia. That's sad, but how many people you talking about there? 10,000 max true South Siders who go to games? The true blue collar Sox fans from the south side probably can't afford tickets/parking/food anyway.

New owner. New palace in suburbia privately funded. Just.Do.It. Naperville is the spot. The only people against it would be 50 to 70 year old white guys who live on the south side and eat their beef sandwiches and drink their Schlitz/Old Style. True, they won't be caught dead driving to Naperville, but there's not a ton of them anyway.

The money is in suburbia anyway. Make us the elite team. New rich owner! New awesome stadium! The Chicago White Sox play in Naperville!!! Can you dig it?

Various surveys have shown that White Sox fandom, what is left of it is concentrated in the City of Chicago and suburban Cook County. The only part of suburban Chicagoland that has more Sox fans than Cub fans is probably in the SW suburbs.

If I were to make a list of major companies, landmarks, events etc. that used to be part of the south side of Chicago and no longer exist it would be a very long one. Given the massive demographic shifts in the US the last 5 decades or so there is nothing etched in stone that says Chicago has to have 2 MLB teams. Do I think they will move in the next 15-20 years? Right now I'd put the odds 60-40 or so against it, but if I'm still around and it happens I won't be shocked.

Except the growth potential of the south side is off the charts. How long does a commute from 35th into the loop take? At most like 15 minutes. Meanwhile you have the next wave of bougies moving into actual transportation deserts served by one or two buses and no expressways at like 6000 N that spend hours commuting FROM THE CITY downtown.

Its only a matter of time before Bronzeville turns, and once the south lakefront starts going it'll be impossible to stop the flow. Sox have to stay exactly where they are now (perhaps let go of some of their precious parking lots) if they want to survive long term. The suburbs would be the death of them.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 31, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
On more than one occasion and as 'recently' as May 2004 he told Bob Sirott on Chicago Tonight that when he's gone he's advised to family to sell the team. He's also said that his family has no interest in retaining the franchise when he's gone. That also he said publicly.

I've been told by two sources, one of who worked for the Sox, that his wife has been asking him to sell and get out for years but so far he's refused to do so.

Mark

Interesting. Thanks.

I wonder who has had an eye out for owning an MLB team. Wonder if MJ would get involved?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 31, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Interesting. Thanks.

I wonder who has had an eye out for owning an MLB team. Wonder if MJ would get involved?

I don't think MJ would even be the slightest interested.

I was told the guy who was, owned the Memphis Grizzlies and was from the area. Unfortunately he passed away last year (I think) so honestly I have no idea who would be interested.

Mark