Stoney and Jason vs Stoney and Hawk

greg775

Whom do you like better  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Whom do you like better?

• Stoney and Hawk
    • Stone and Jason B

Well I was at the game yesterday and had a clear view into the broadcast booth and something I saw there was very telling.

If you've ever seen it, when it's Hawk and Stone... they are literally sitting at opposite ends of the booth. They literally could not be farther apart physically. I found that so odd the first time I saw it, because I thought broadcast teams sit somewhat close to each other.

When I looked in the booth yesterday with Jason/Stone, I was shocked to see them pretty much sitting right next to each other. They were even talking and laughing between innings.

I think that says a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I know we have spoke on this at nauseum, but does anybody else find watching the games at home a little bit boring?

All those homers yesterday and I just kind of watched them.. when Hawk is out there I am screaming stretch! at the TV

How about a 3 man booth?? I know that time with his kids is the reason hawk doesn't want to be there... so not plausible, but I really do want his calls , but not his banter. Leave that to Benneti

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
I know we have spoke on this at nauseum, but does anybody else find watching the games at home a little bit boring?

All those homers yesterday and I just kind of watched them.. when Hawk is out there I am screaming stretch! at the TV

How about a 3 man booth?? I know that time with his kids is the reason hawk doesn't want to be there... so not plausible, but I really do want his calls , but not his banter. Leave that to Benneti

I think the broadcast is refreshing actually.

one thing I truly believe is immensely different in baseball broadcasting than in other sports is that it takes a really long time to be good at it. Difficult to be on the air for that long of a time, with all that downtime, for that many games, and be really good at it right away. I personally way prefer road games right now because I love Hawk. Benetti is better than I expected, but still has work to do. And that's ok. It takes a long time. He has shown promise and will get better, i think (and hope)

Edited by daa84

The home broadcast is one of the bright spots of this season. Can't wait until Jason starts calling road games.

The rest of the country is taking notice as well. I'm disappointed I missed Jason's national game. Jason will likely be calling a number of national games in the near future.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
When I watch a game in any sport, I listen for a few things. If the color guy is brilliant, I want the pxp man to serve him up 77 mph hangers all game and let him do his thing. I look for humor. I listen for genuine care and conversation between the two. In Bennetti and Stone's case, they have it. Hawk and Stone do not. Stone sounds excited and happy during home games and quite the opposite during away games. I cannot blame him, because Hawk's cliches, consistent interruptions and homerism get rather old.

Stone is brilliant. But I think some of the chemistry issue between him and Hawk is that both like their ego stroked. Jason does that for Stone and Hawk doesn't. Hawk isn't as smart as Stoney and he's afraid Steve's brain will overshadow his work so he doesn't "tee up" Stone like Jason does. In turn, Stone doesn't tee up Hawk much. So they both sit in their corners. That being said, like others have mentioned, I am not sold on Jason yet. To each their own...but I think he sounds like a minor league announcer where quirk and goofiness are every minor league team's bread and butter. This is the majors...it's time to get serious, not silly! What I like about Hawk is a. it's timeless. I hear the same phrases that I did in my childhood and it creates a nice throwback experience for me. b. he oftentimes says what all of us are thinking and gets angry with us. c. Aside from him arguing borderline plays that are actually called correctly, I love that he's a homer. I know it doesn't fit well with some of the WGN national broadcasts, but it fits with me because I'm a homer. I like the White Sox and I hate all 29 other teams. I do show respect for good baseball plays by opposing players and I clap for injured opponents who have to leave the game due to injury. I don't like to see anyone get hurt--but it pains me to see any other team win ANY game. I just get the sense that Hawk feels the same way so I identify with it. I identify when he's yelling a walk-off home run call because I'm at home yelling the same thing at the TV. Walk-offs call for yelling...not simply inflection! I too, can not STAND Joe West. I love his stories of the past--because I hear him share them every summer and it's become a part of "summer" for me. I like how I know what he's going to say on most plays. I love that he doesn't talk much in the 9th...because...seriously...how could anyone talk during the 9th!? I just get the sense that if anyone ever challenged my team, Hawk would drop the gloves and fight for them. I want Jason to succeed but it's going to take a while to for him earn a full approval, although I wish him nothing but the best in his quest. He's already 10 times better than the Cubs' silly excuse for broadcasters.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Well I was at the game yesterday and had a clear view into the broadcast booth and something I saw there was very telling.

If you've ever seen it, when it's Hawk and Stone... they are literally sitting at opposite ends of the booth. They literally could not be farther apart physically. I found that so odd the first time I saw it, because I thought broadcast teams sit somewhat close to each other.

When I looked in the booth yesterday with Jason/Stone, I was shocked to see them pretty much sitting right next to each other. They were even talking and laughing between innings.

I think that says a lot.

Wow that is huge if true. I've noticed Hawk and Stoney are as far apart as possible as you said.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Benetti has been a touch corny, even for me, but I think he ABSOLUTELY makes Stone better.

I like the move to Benetti. I respect what Hawk was, and enjoyed most of his career, but it's just time for it to be over. That's okay, it happens to everyone.

I do think Steve enjoys being the star rather than the second banana. He was giddy with Chip Caray. His ego is the biggest one in the both and it really isn't close.

Jason is fine. He comes up with some good ones. But he will never take losses as hard as Hawk, or enjoy the wins as much. That's OK.

Benetti is competent and brings some much-needed humor to the broadcast, but I think that he sounds a little generic at times. Then again, it's his first season and I think that he'll grow into a solid PBP guy. The current arrangement with Stone works because Stoney is a baseball encyclopedia and future HOF broadcaster. The roles are well-defined: Benetti calls the on-field action and Stone offers the analysis. There's no conflict or ego collisions.

I loved 1990s Hawk, but that guy is gone and it's time for him to hang up his mic.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Wow that is huge if true. I've noticed Hawk and Stoney are as far apart as possible as you said.

I was at the game today; Jason and Stone sit so close they look like a kid at the game with his grandpa. Jason is fine and he's only going to get better. I could do with a little less needling or whatever it is. Corny is the word. I like the radio broadcast, Ed and D.J. bicker and start pissing matches when things are slow.

Edited by Churro Elotes