Ryan Cordell

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:13 AM)
A -1 DRS in 97 games of a rookie season when all other evidence points to the contrary is exactly what should be ignored, especially under the circumstances of the way the season played out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:15 AM)
You also might want to read this note on how to use DRS.

And I've already conceded that a partial year DRS is an imperfect measure. However, it isn't a positive sign for him.

But, you're focusing on the less-important part of my view, which DA states pretty well:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:25 AM)
It's pretty obvious Engel is an excellent defender, but he is not excellent enough to ignore his lack of offense. He will have to pick that up significantly.

In an offensively-favorable environment in 2017, Engels WRC+ was 37. That's NL middle reliever-type offensive production.

IF he DOUBLED his offensive output to a WRC+ of (snicker) 74, he'd still be a net negative to the team.

IMO, if he gets the nod to start the season, Id give him a short leash, say some ~100 or so PA to prove his bat. But I think it would be better for Engel (and the org) for him to help Kopech, et. Al in Charlotte, while he tries to improve his bat in AAA.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)
And I've already conceded that a partial year DRS is an imperfect measure. However, it isn't a positive sign for him.

But, you're focusing on the less-important part of my view, which DA states pretty well:

In an offensively-favorable environment in 2017, Engels WRC+ was 37. That's NL middle reliever-type offensive production.

IF he DOUBLED his offensive output to a WRC+ of (snicker) 74, he'd still be a net negative to the team.

IMO, if he gets the nod to start the season, Id give him a short leash, say some ~100 or so PA to prove his bat. But I think it would be better for Engel (and the org) for him to help Kopech, et. Al in Charlotte, while he tries to improve his bat in AAA.

You say you have conceded it, yet you keep bringing up as a vital measure, which means you really haven't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
You say you have conceded it, yet you keep bringing up as a vital measure, which means you really haven't.

Actually, I brought it up in post #38, & not since then. (Double-checking, & there's no mention by me in either post #49, nor in post #54; I see where you've not only mentioned it twice, but you found several references to defend Engel at all costs.)

Since post #38, I've agreed with you where I can. But since it appears you want a message board "win," here:

Let's even ASSUME that Engel is the best defender, EVAR!

Do you think he'll hit enough to not be a negative to his team mates?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 12:08 PM)
Actually, I brought it up in post #38, & not since then. (Double-checking, & there's no mention by me in either post #49, nor in post #54; I see where you've not only mentioned it twice, but you found several references to defend Engel at all costs.)

Since post #38, I've agreed with you where I can. But since it appears you want a message board "win," here:

Let's even ASSUME that Engel is the best defender, EVAR!

Do you think he'll hit enough to not be a negative to his team mates?

His hit tool has always been the primary red flag, as has been stated in pretty much every post about Engel. Again, not sure what groundbreaking we are doing here.