White Sox Hiring for Analytics Department

Chicago White Sox

On 11/3/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I had to do a programming project for a job I was applying for today. You know, it really helps if you know the language and the commands that are involved with that language. If you don't know those things, you have no chance. That's what I ran into. After attempting this project, I'm going to have to wait until the next time they have an opening here, because I just don't know as much as I thought I did. Some languages have structure and commands that you absolutely have to know immediately, otherwise you can't do the job. I learned that lesson the hard way. I have learned that if they list a group of languages, you have to know the ins and outs immediately, otherwise you're just not qualified. 

Not necessarily. I spent about 15 years as a mainframe programmer using mostly Cobol and PL/1. Now I'm in a job where I'm using mostly Vb.net and SQL, although I didn't have much experience with either when I first started. Now we are switching to a system where I'm going to have to learn some C#.

There are some things that are different, but once you have the basics down, most programming languages are pretty similair. I once took a free online class to learn Python and picked it up pretty quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading about the Cubs new pitching coach and noticed he has an analytics background. He took a course called “Sabermetrics 101: Introduction to Baseball Analytics” offered by Boston University. The course is out there but it is unavailable. I am in a graduate program studying data science at a local university and would love to take a course like this and learn more about new baseball statistics. Does anyone know of a similar course or content area I could look at that includes sabermetrics, baseball analytics, data science, R and SQL like this course has?

Edit: I was able to get into the course, I just had to play around with Edx to open it. I would enjoy reading some other materials people have to offer, though.

Edited by The Beast

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

I was reading about the Cubs new pitching coach and noticed he has an analytics background. He took a course called “Sabermetrics 101: Introduction to Baseball Analytics” offered by Boston University. The course is out there but it is unavailable. I am in a graduate program studying data science at a local university and would love to take a course like this and learn more about new baseball statistics. Does anyone know of a similar course or content area I could look at that includes sabermetrics, baseball analytics, data science, R and SQL like this course has?

Edit: I was able to get into the course, I just had to play around with Edx to open it. I would enjoy reading some other materials people have to offer, though.

https://www.datacamp.com/projects/250

I don’t know I’d you saw this but has a fun data set to play with.