5/12 Games

soxfan49

This is at this point a very bad player development group and that getting players with great tools and luck is a better plan with that then we’ll rounded players who need to improve incrementally with a group that cannot maximize talent.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This is at this point a very bad player development group and that getting players with great tools and luck is a better plan with that then we’ll rounded players who need to improve incrementally with a group that cannot maximize talent.

What?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it possible that Madrigal is trying too hard to hit for power, which he clearly lacks? Maybe he should simply be trying to spray line drives, all over the field. I prefer more of that, than his hitting fly balls to the warning track. I understand that many here want to see him hit for more power, but I just don't see that as his game. A guy with his contact skills and ability to avoid being struck out, could become a very high average hitter. Combine that with learning to take more walks and you could have a very useful second baseman, playing outstanding defense.

If the Sox wanted a guy with power, they couldn't have made a worse choice. Why waste the #4 pick on a guy, who doesn't profile as someone who can hit home runs? They selected him because he has exceptional contact skills and plays great defense, at second base. The development staff should be nurturing those skills and not encouraging him to try to hit the long ball. If they aren't doing that, they could be making a big mistake.

Edited by Lillian

38 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is it possible that Madrigal is trying too hard to hit for power, which he clearly lacks? Maybe he should simply be trying to spray line drives, all over the field. I prefer more of that, than his hitting fly balls to the warning track. I understand that many here want to see him hit for more power, but I just don't see that as his game. A guy with his contact skills and ability to avoid being struck out, could become a very high average hitter. Combine that with learning to take more walks and you could have a very useful second baseman, playing outstanding defense.

If the Sox wanted a guy with power, they couldn't have made a worse choice. Why waste the #4 pick on a guy, who doesn't profile as someone who can hit home runs? They selected him because he has exceptional contact skills and plays great defense, at second base. The development staff should be nurturing those skills and not encouraging him to try to hit the long ball. If they aren't doing that, they could be making a big mistake.

If you watch him hit, the outfielders are taking away his slashing ability by playing him so shallow. I saw highlights a few weeks ago and the right fielder was playing like 50 feet behind the first baseman.

It seems to me that the simple change would be to tweak that huge leg kick, which is probably sapping what strength he does have. He doesn't need to hit for power, but every time I see him, he's hitting the ball with absolutely zero authority and that needs to change.