We will see what this team is made of…

hi8is

Next 8 games are against 3 of the worst teams in baseball.  We just got though the ringer without losing ground, now is the time to feast.  Anything less than 6-2 against the Scrubs, Pirates, and KC would be dissapointing.  Can we please, for the love of G**, win a series in Kansas City?  If we do that, I'll know its a special season.

20 hours ago, hi8is said:

We went 7 - 7 during that tough stretch while playing some of the worst baseball we have all year. We also saw some classic highlights.

5 of the losses could have easily gone out way.

Main take away points:

- This starting rotation is the most reliable aspect of our team.

- It is very important everyone gets healthy, stays healthy, and comes into the playoffs playing at the top of their game.

- The bullpen has to get right, the bullpen has to get right, and the bullpen has to get right.

As emotionally draining and difficult as many of the losses were, I think going .500 during that stretch would have been considered acceptable as a question posed two weeks ago.

Looking at the forest through the trees, you can see a lot to hope on for this club. There certainly are a lot of trees to get stuck on though.

Finally, did I mention we have to get the bullpen right?

Well put and I agree with everything you said here. You and I had talked before this stretch and I had mentioned that how we do against these teams in August will have no bearing on how they do against them in October. You disagreed a bit and felt that the important thing was to evaluate how they play. I wanted to say now that because of how you wrote this evaluation I respect very much what you said and have truly given an accurate evaluation. And to your credit you didn't just base this on results. You responded to another post regarding the Tampa Bay series.

"Don't think we really learned anything from this past series."

That is absolutely correct!! After winning the first game we seemed to mentally check out for the rest of that series, and threw nothing but pitchers who might not pitch very much at all in the playoffs. We started Keuchel and Lopez those last two games and it's strongly possible that neither one of them will start a playoff game. Keuchel might. He's in the running for the 4th spot with Cease I imagine.  So based on this, there's no way anyone can say "since we lost 2 out of 3 to Tampa Bay, we can't beat them in the playoffs."  And that was my point when saying what we do against them now will have no bearing on if we can beat them in the playoffs. So I think we might have agreed on this a bit more than you may have realized. What WILL have a bearing on how we do against these teams in the playoffs will be more determined by the points you made here. 

7 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

To be honst, I think we will see what this team is made of starting tonight.  Yeah, the Cubs are a AAA team right now but this is the first time this year that the team is playing as close to as they were intended to be constructed all year.  

It’s certainly the perfect time to take the lessons learned and patch the holes. Right the ship. Load up the clouds with thunder and march into battle.

• Like 1