Colon News

DBAHO

No suprise really, I think this is where he'll be in 2004.

Angels: The Los Angeles Times wrote the strongest words so far about the Angels' pursuit of right-hander Bartolo Colon, calling Colon the team's "top target among free agents" and saying the Angels are "a prime contender." The Times quoted Colon's agent, Mitch Frankel, as saying he has met with GM Bill Stoneman and the Angels are one of five teams in the running. "For him, there's a lot of interest," Frankel told the Times. "The Angels are a great organization. They have a new owner. They're trying to win a championship. It's a very positive place." The Times then speculated about what the Angels might do with Colon in the fold. "The Angels believe they can afford to sign Colon and Minnesota outfielder Shannon Stewart," the Times wrote.

But also the Yanks r still afta him.

Yankees: The New York Times quoted "a person with knowledge of the plans" saying that the Yankees are hoping to acquire two of these three starters: Andy Pettitte, Bartolo Coln and Javier Vazquez. ...

I wonder if one of the five teams in contention though r the White Sox?

Disturbing trend developing with the Sox and that's everytime a free agent player that wore a Sox uniform last year and helped us compete is mentioned by the Sox management it's in the past tense. We may have a radically different look in 2004, but still ground into DP's and blow late inning leads

Dunno if this counts for anything but look at Gammons' latest Diamond Notes.

"The White Sox are reportedly zooming back in on Colon"

Also a possible option for 2nd if we don't resign Robbie Alomar.

"The Twins have to pare payroll so they can try to re-sign Shannon Stewart and either Everyday Eddie Guardado or Hawkins. They have talked to Toronto about Orlando Hudson, as have the Indians, Red Sox and several teams."

"The White Sox have been looking for a shortstop so they can move Jose Valentin to second. Whither Roberto Alomar?"

If he sits around, I could see the Sox coming back offering a similar deal to what they offered...more up front money, if not all of it, but a little less cash. I do think Bartolo wouldn't mind coming back here, but the west coast would be nice for him too.

The Angels will have a lot better of a rotation if they add Colon along with Wasbhurn, Escobar, Ortiz and Lackey. Too bad they will be paying Sele and Appier a combined 20 mill this year...add Erstad and Salmon at 8 a piece and you have 36 mill between 4 players, only one of which really plays all the time...all of which are grossly overpaid.

Some Yankee news from a Star-Ledger column out of New Jersey. Includes an interesting comment about Colon.

The Yankees, meanwhile, will have different items on their agenda when they convene today across the street from the site of tonight's Giants game. They hope to re-sign left-handed pitcher Andy Pettitte and also to sign Gary Sheffield to play right field. They want another pitcher in addition to Pettitte (either a trade for Curt Schilling or Javier Vazquez or the free-agent signing of Bartolo Colon, though Colon could be headed back to the White Sox). And they will discuss the possible signing of either Luis Castillo or Japanese shortstop Kazuo Matsui to play second base so they can move Soriano to the outfield and use Bernie Williams as their everyday designated hitter.

Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio's morning show "Mike and Mike", said his sources tell him Colon is poised to re-sign with the Sox because he "doesn't want to pitch for the Yankees".

I wonder what offer? Supposedly KW pulled the 3 year $35 mil offer. I wonder if he is going to offer him that again, or if he will try to undercut it now that KW has a little stronger negotiating position.

Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio's morning show "Mike and Mike", said his sources tell him Colon is poised to re-sign with the Sox because he "doesn't want to pitch for the Yankees".

Thats whats being reported in New York.

The Angels have said they would take Colon, but right now they are putting on the heat and are going to go after Vladdy. I'm not necessarily agreeing with how the Angels are spending their money, but look what new owner Artero Moreno is doing in Anaheim.

He's definately been agressive.

Thats whats being reported in New York. 

The Angels have said they would take Colon, but right now they are putting on the heat and are going to go after Vladdy.  I'm not necessarily agreeing with how the Angels are spending their money, but look what new owner Artero Moreno is doing in Anaheim. 

He's definately been agressive.

With what they are paying Escobar and Erstad I get the feeling that they will end up like the Mets or Rangers, a big budget and not much to show for it.

With what they are paying Escobar and Erstad I get the feeling that they will end up like the Mets or Rangers, a big budget and not much to show for it.

I agree whole-heartedly. I firmly believe that Bill Stoneman is the worse GM in the major leagues. That says something cause I think pretty poorly of Dan Evans too.

With the Angels signing Escobar, the Yankees going after Pettite and Bart not wanting to pitch in NY, the Phillies trying to keep Millwood and the Bosox going after Schilling, I am more and more convinced the White Sox will keep Colon. I like it, but anything can happen still.

I like the way things are shaping...and if somehow Sheffield spurns the Yanks, then I'll really be liking things cause it will ultimately force George to turn his efforts to Maggs.

Its going to be a very exciting offseason, I truly believe that.

I think we can end up with a really good deal for Maggs. 3 possible options.

1) Yankees - Soriano and Nick Johnson

2) Dodgers - Perez and Isturis with us throwing in Jose as well

3) Red Sox - For Nomar Garciaparra if they trade Manny for A-Rod

IF we deal him to the Dodgers, I'd expect Mota and one of their top 2 prospects as well.

1.) We'll need to give them someone else with Ordonez for both, they'll smell the salary dump and expect prospects. I don't think this can happen. Maybe Maggs for one or the other, but not both, they know our situation with payroll. I've changed my thinking on this as the off-season has gone on. I've been hot for the Ordonez/Soriano/Johnson deal, but I fear we'll end up on the short end of talent.

2.) The best move because it solves more problems, but again, a salary dump. I'd rather dump Ordonez for pitching & Izturis over the proposed options. We may not need to throw in Jose, the Dodgers are desperate for hitters. I'd do this at the last possible minute if we haven't picked up another starter to replace Colon. If we've signed Colon, I still wait and bargain from a position of strength, I'd do this move to give us a fantastic starting 5 (Colon, MB, Loaiza, Perez, Garland). 3 of them are on the cheap.

3.) Not even in the realm of possibility.

applingsrevenge