Pete Rose admits he bet on baseball

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when someone says it's a lifetime ban we should ask who's lifetime. I'm of the banned for life means banned for life. Admitting he bet on baseball just means the judgement was correct.

I think it's a shame he broke a rule that is posted in every major league locker room. I think the HoF is absent one of baseball's all time greatest players.

Agreed...He definitely should be in the HOF for what he did as a player, but maybe they can do something else.  They should let him into the HOF, and just not let him profit off MLB or anything.  I mean he's lied to his fans about this since day one.

The guy not only bet on baseball.... but he's lied to an entire nation for years now. If everyone doesnt see what a big pile of s*** he is... I wonder the intellegence of the average person.

The guy not only bet on baseball.... but he's lied to an entire nation for years now. If everyone doesnt see what a big pile of s*** he is... I wonder the intellegence of the average person.

I remember about a couple years ago, a cousin of mine, who travels ALOT in the U.S., actually kinda bumped into mr. rose. He asked fo his autograph and the guy just blew him off. I hate Rose as a person but I respect what the man has done as a player. He should be in the hall IMO. But he also said if he goes into the hall, he wants to go back to managing in baseball. Dunno if that's going to happen tho. ;)

Agreed...He definitely should be in the HOF for what he did as a player, but maybe they can do something else. .

Yeah, let em set up a bookie joint outside the hall and plaster his name up on the front door as proprietor.

He disgraced the game with his actions and I really cant muster any sympathy for him. Maybe his nickname should be changed to "Charlie Hustler".

Yeah, let em set up a bookie joint outside the hall and plaster his name up on the front door as proprietor.

He disgraced the game with his actions and I really cant muster any sympathy for him.  Maybe his nickname should be changed to "Charlie Hustler".

Could of quoted Murcie or Nuke - both say it well

there is no way in hell Rose belongs in the HOF - he is a liar and a cheat and anyone who thinks Rose belongs in the HOF is just one more sucker, hustled - which is what he is trying to do to everyone now

Rose's baseball accomplishments are in the record book - all he deserves - he does not belong in the Hall of Fame, only a Hall of Shame.

He disgraced the game I love and lied and lied and lied about it.

We of all people know what gambling does to baseball. And who did we throw the world series to - and Rose was ignorant of the ramifications of betting on baseball?

Those who love Rose can suck his cock all they want, anywhere, anywhere but in the Hall of Fame.

But cw, do you think he should or shouldn't be in the hall? :D

You made a comment I hadn't heard before, but I know I will repeat. He is in the record book. That is where is accomplishments should stay.

If baseball had a commissioner I would love for him to say, "You finally admitted it!? I knew we were right. Too bad lifetime means lifetime. I hope you didn't bet anyone you would be in the hall."

I wouldn't mind baseball setting up a display of controversies. Add him to that display as a reminder that the game does have tradition and ethics.

The only way that Pete Rose should be let into the HoF is if the members of the Black Sox were also allowed in as well. Not that they should be let in, but if you stoop to the level of admitting one disgrace into the HoF, then you should let all of the other disgraces in as well.

But cw, do you think he should or shouldn't be in the hall?  :D

You made a comment I hadn't heard before, but I know I will repeat. He is in the record book. That is where is accomplishments should stay.

If baseball had a commissioner I would love for him to say, "You finally admitted it!? I knew we were right. Too bad lifetime means lifetime. I hope you didn't bet anyone you would be in the hall."

I wouldn't mind baseball setting up a display of controversies. Add him to that display as a reminder that the game does have tradition and ethics.

neat idea!

a section on controversies would be a good way to deal with this and other matters, such as Shoeless Joe, etc.

I shall work on a post in which I make my feelings about Rose not belonging in the HOF more clear! :lol:

From CNNsi.com

Charlie Hustler

Pete Rose now admits he bet on baseball while manager of the Cincinnati Reds. The all-time hits leader says he was a big-time gambler who started betting regularly on baseball in 1987 but never against the Reds, according to excerpts from the book released to Sports Illustrated.

tx_rose_cover.jpg

Story Here

Piece of monkey s***.... not only is he going to be prolly reinstated, now he's gonna make millions off a book that will be publicized up the ass. Pete Rose is a f***ing tool.

He's a tool cause people are going to buy his book...?

It's HIS fault people will spend their money on it..?

It's HIS fault he'll make a profit from people buying it..??

:huh:

He's a tool cause people are going to buy his book...?

It's HIS fault people will spend their money on it..?

It's HIS fault he'll make a profit from people buying it..??

:huh:

No, he is a tool for lying for 14 years about betting on baseball.

He is a tool for thinking all of those years of lying don't matter.

He is a tool for writing "My Story" to swear up and down he didn't do anything wrong, yet has to write a second book to tell the ACTUAL "truth".

He is a tool for thinking that we should believe him now, if we didn't before.

He is a tool for thinking he belongs in the HOF after clearing breaking the rules that no one else has ever been forgiven for.

No, he is a tool for lying for 14 years about betting on baseball. 

He is a tool for thinking all of those years of lying don't matter. 

He is a tool for writing "My Story" to swear up and down he didn't do anything wrong, yet has to write a second book to tell the ACTUAL "truth". 

He is a tool for thinking that we should believe him now, if we didn't before. 

He is a tool for thinking he belongs in the HOF after clearing breaking the rules that no one else has ever been forgiven for.

Oh Mike... people lie. Unfortunately it's human nature.

My mistake if I misunderstood.. sounded like Murcie was blaming Rose because he'll profit from the book. He's not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy it.

Oh Mike... people lie. Unfortunately it's human nature.

My mistake if I misunderstood.. sounded like Murcie was blaming Rose because he'll profit from the book. He's not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy it.

I know people lie, hell I will be the first to admit that I lie, just like everyone else. But to take it to the extent that he has, and then be pissed off at the world because no one will believe him, and to think baseball owes it to him to put him in the HOF is assinine, IMO.

(And if I interpeted what Murc said wrong, I apologize.)

My own personal opinion of the Hall Of Fame is that it is a complete joke. A farce. A sham. A pissing post for a group of writers and ex-jocks to sit on high and decide who shall be granted entry into their little boys' club. You have writers who refuse to vote for ANYONE on their first ballot, regardless of merit. You have writers who let their personal opinions of the person cloud their view of the player and his accomplishments.

I find it hilarious that people like Ron Santo drive themselves crazy hoping and praying for the acceptance of a bunch of old men and searching for the right thing to say, and the right way to say it, just to get a jacket and a plaque. It's pathetic.

The Baseball Hall Of Fame is a dinosaur.

I thought of a nice idea. Pete we are going to reinstate you in 2018. That would be 14 years from now. I think you will appreciate the irony.

I like that one.... :cheers

After reading the posts, and seeing what he's said...I have to back from what I said earlier. Pete Rose is simply a jackass....He's lied to us since day 1, and now he finally fesses up and expects us to forgive him before he ever apologizes....

Pete Rose... :fyou

They ran a piece of him on ESPN this morning, and there were 6 different inviews with Pete lying about whether he bet on baseball or not. So my question is how does anyone trust him about not betting from the clubhouse, not betting on baseball, and not betting on the Reds? He made it very clear that he will lie if he thinks it will further his cause, so why believe him now?