Marte Being Overworked

Butter Parque

This must have been the third or 4th time in the last 5 games that Marte has come in. You can't always turn to him. Eventually he is gonna run out of gas like he did last night by walking those 2 batters. It ended up costing us the game. Ken Williams better go out and find someone who we can rely on in the bullpen or it's going to be a long year.

I dunno, I didn't watch last nights game (stupid WCIU) but I haven't noticed Marte pitching all that much this season, although I'm sure he was used a bit more this past week, like you say.

He seems to of been improving though, up until this last outing. His velocity has been there, it just doesn't seem that he's as crisp as he was in years past.

If this is overworked we have real problems:

LAST 7 DAYS 2 0 1.2 1 2 0 2 1 5.40 0 1 1 0 1 .167 1.80 10.80

2 games, 1.2 ip.

Hes barely been used, no way you can say overworked.

SB

He brings up a valid point though. He could be overworked in the aspect of the 'dead arm' syndrome through this time of year. No need to jump over him on this, he could have a valid reason.

From the first post:

This must have been the third or 4th time in the last 5 games that Marte has come in. You can't always turn to him.

Now I was going to say in my post that it is possible that being used to much alst year may be wearing on him, but if anything the Sox have done a good job trying to reduce his workload this year.

He just doesnt look right, it might of been the rain and cold, but it wasnt that he had pitched 3 or 4 times the last week, he only pitched 1.2 innings.

Most set up guys can do an inning 3-5 times a week np.

SB

IT could also be the fact that he hasn't pitched enough, if anything.

Its either he was overworked the past two years and now his arm is tired or what not (Hopefully not hurt). Or he's just not sharp because he hasn't pitched as frequently. Some pitchers arms are different then others. Marte may have one of those "rubber" type arms that needs to pitch quite often.

If there was any pitcher used in last nights game overworked(by either team), it is Juan Rincon. He pitched in his 19th game last night, and the Twins have played 34 games. He didn't look to overworked to me. It looked like he was on top of his game, blowing Lee and Konerko away on 6 pitches.

Correction El Caballo.. Marte was seriously overworked last year with Jerry Manuel. I believe I saw Marte always enter a game mostly every week and when he was pressured to get out of a big jam thanx to Manuel's decisions.

um...Marte isn't our go to guy right now so i dont know what youre talking about. We don't always go to him. He has actually sorta rotated with Cotts and Politte if I may say that. He has not been overworked and he walked those bastards last night that got in. Throw the ball over the plate.

Marte may be the type of pitcher that is more effective when he's tired. Garland's last start is an example of that. He wasn't able to get any sleep the night before so he didn't try to overthrow and just concentrated on hitting his spots. If JG can harness that knowledge and put it to use, that sleepness night may have been a blessing in disguise.