Cooper on Stewart

southsider2k5

Screw Wright. Hes never done anything to prove he should be here.

Let's see....Danny only won 14 games for us last year. Yeah, he really sucks.

you beat me to that response :D

What gets me is when people use the "high ERA" argument.....ERA is overrated IMO. If you win a lot of games but have a high ERA, it obviously means you kept the team in the game long enough to help the team get a win. If you have a low ERA and a low win amount...it obviously means that you can't keep the team in the game. That's why pitchers with more wins win more games in postseason play than pitchers with low ERAs....they don't crack under the pressure. Pitchers with low ERAs may have a 2-0 lead....but in the 7th or 8th inning, give up 2 or 3 runs.....which results in a low ERA for the pitcher, but no win either. A pitcher with a high ERA may have a 6-5 lead...and hold it until the 7th....the bullpen comes in and shuts the game down. The starter has a bad ERA for the game....but gets the win.

That's why last year Dan was our second best pitcher....and not Garland. That is also why Eldred helped us so damn much in 2000...BTW, anyone know if he made the Cards rotation, and if so, how he has done so far?

Then again....if you're Todd Ritchie, and you have a high ERA and a low win amount....it means you suck. :lol:

I like Garland's stuff more and I think he'll develop into the better pitcher over time....but Wright has earned his spot in the rotation. He won't lose it because of an injury. And to judge a curveball pitcher based on Arizona ST stats is stupid as hell also....Dan's got a helluva curve ball....but in Arizona, it doesn't curve, and it is hit hard. Dan has his spot in the rotation, and he will keep it.

.....ERA is overrated IMO

Agreed, though it's far from being meangingless (read: avg. for hitters or K's for pitchers). It's best when it's used in combination with other crucial stats like OBP-against, WHIP, W-L, team's error totals and range factor. Also one needs to edjust for NL and/or hitters ballparks like Enron, Camden, Coors, etc.

One thing I don't agree with: the idea that a pitcher with a 18-12 record and 4.20 ERA playing for a great offensive and defensive team like Yankees is better than someone like Mark Prior who had era in low 3.00 yet barely broke .500. Yes, Eldred and Partuqe had preposterous W-L records in the first half of 2000, but it had nothing to do with pitching- they each had over 8 effin' runs scored FOR them game in game out, lol. To the former was better than Pedro because of his 10-1 record is preposterous.

Mike Sirotka would have been a 20 game winner (to say nothing of his ERA- shave off half a point easily because of that godawful D. of ours) if he had played for the Indians in 2000 IMO.

Is Wright better than Jon-Jon? Time will tell, they both had enough stuff to be solid #3s for nearly any team. Can they be 1-2? Not right now. Too erratic, though last month a half of 2002 was beyond proimising.

But you look at how many baserunners Sirotka had and it always told me that he was somehow over-achieving and he had reached his potential. I never saw him getting better then he was

Well, considering how many 4 and 5 -out innings he had to pitch in, I am not surprised. In any case, he was WAY better than anyone we had on the staff that year and all those injuries (Baldwin, Pip Squeek, Cyborg and later Barcelo and Rauch) weren't great news to anyone becase meant Wells (horrible ERA) ans Garland (even horrible-r) had to lead the rotation.

(And unlike Parqua and Co., Mike got suprisingly little run support form that 950-run offfense if I remember correctly. Something to the rune of 4 runs a game. I may be wrong though)

ERA's are somewhat inflated artificially because official scorers are so reluctant to score an error, so the pitchers' ERA's go up.

good example of that this year already is garland..he gave up 3 "earned " runs after the "hit" that konerko misplayed...but a real sign of a quality pitcher is to pitch around errors...garland didnt do that either

He came up through the minors.

Wow, that's impressive. I was surprised to see that he's doing this well.

I would much rather the sox give a shot to Stewart than Wright. As I always said on WSI, Wright will never amount to s***........and i said the same thing about Biddle. So far, 2 for 2, daver, ya loser, lol.

As I always said on WSI, Wright will never amount to s***........and i said the same thing about Biddle. So far, 2 for 2, daver, ya loser, lol.

Wright has won 14 games in his rookie year out of AA and looked great last 6 weeks of the season. Don't ya think it's too, I dunno, early to proverbially take him out back and put him out of his misery? And Biddle has been unhittable so far this season as Expos closer, so you may very well be 0 for 2 and not the other way around...lol back at you.

Let me guess, you also "always knew" that Garland, Buerhle, Wells, Fogg would always suck, and now think Rauch ain't worth s***...Now that I think of it you made a pretty interesting comment about Stewart just a few weeks ago...But then again I shouldnt be surprised at your clairvoyance or your unfailing baseball sense. You could give Ron Sueller run for his money,

I'll agree that Danny Wright earned his spot in the rotation. And because he had a bad spring, you take it away from him? Hmmmm, let's see here. He was pitching in that light Arizona air and with a sore elbow. Yes, that's fair. Dump him. ................. I hope Josh Stewart pitches so well that the Sox can't send him down, but Danny Wright also deserves to be in the rotation.

He came up through the minors.

Wow, that's impressive. I was surprised to see that he's doing this well.

I would much rather the sox give a shot to Stewart than Wright. As I always said on WSI, Wright will never amount to s***........and i said the same thing about Biddle. So far, 2 for 2, daver, ya loser, lol.

looks like rocky biddle just might have found a job as a closer in montreal...wouldnt call rocky a loser just yet

I think it is incorrect to say that ERA is a meaningless stat. There is no arguing that a pitcher that goes 2-20 with a 2.90 ERA is better than Dan Wright. No matter the W-L. When comparing pitchers, the records don't matter because they only shows you how good the team's offense is. For Example Tim Hudson was 18-9 with a 3.37 ERA in 2001. Last year he went 15-9 2.98. I would take last years tim Hudson of the two years, because his ERA proves he was more effective last year.

That is not to say ERA can't be decieving. Dan Wrights ERA was atrotious in the first half, and his record matched it. In the second half though, Wright had a good record and a better ERA, unfortunately his ERA was not good enough though to make up for the terrible first half. So his ERA finished at 5.18, which doesn't show how well he pitched in the second half.

Plus, it is unfair to give his job away to Josh Stewart, without even letting him fight for it, as some have implied they would like to see. Yes, W-L are more important than individual players, but Wright has to be given and will be given an oppurtunity.

I think that wit Buerhle and Colon set as 1-2 (they better bring Bartolo back, let hope we get much better attendance and make playoffs so JR can expand payroll into high 60s/low 70's), 3-5 spots will be given to the best of the following:

Rauch, Garland, Wright, Stewart, Diaz, Loaiza. I doubt they will ever be ace-material (say ERA 3.30 and lower), but I am confident that 3 out 6 can be very solid until 2005 when Honel and Cotts challenge for the spot, injuries notwithstanding.

Not a bad problem to have im other words.

I think it is incorrect to say that ERA is a meaningless stat

Yeah, but some teams have bad defense, bad offense, unreasonable offical scorer, so not only a pitcher's W-L suffers but also his ERA. But if you combine ERA with WHIP, OPS-against, W-L stats and adjust for the team one is pitching for (both defense and offense) as well as the park (surely someone pitching at ex-Enron will fare worse than old Comerica, etc) and whether it's DH-loaded AL or NL, you will begin to a clearer picture...

Also, not every pitchers is able to "overcome" those things and some pitchers are more clutch than others as the case with hitters and it doesn't show up in ERA. Finally, some pitchers are terrible when they are bad (say 8 runs in 2 innings) but otherwise very good where as others like Steve Trashsel can consistently give you 7 inning/4 ER.