Feliz to the Sox?

Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
So is everyone willing to trade our fielding ability for an upgrade offensively?

I for one am not.  I think our fielding is the only thing that has kept us from losing more games.  Now that our offense is picking it up, I see no need to degrade our strong point.  It makes like easier on our pitchers and gives them confidence to be able to throw ground ball pitches.  I dont see adding a bat at the expense of denfense an upgrade to our team.  Am I the only one who feels this way?

You're not the only one. Pitching, defense and timely hitting have been our strong points this year and have been the reason why we've won so many games.

Shea Hillenbrand is not a butcher at third base he's just not great. He would be a down grade defensively but not enough to ignore his bat.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it would suck to downgrade our defense at 3rd base. The best and cheapest likely solution is probably this one...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...08-majors_x.htm

The Reds? Well, who isn't available? It's been said first baseman Sean Casey can be had. So can beleaguered starter Eric Milton, of course. Outfielders Ken Griffey Jr., Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena could be available as well. Yet, the most likely could be a veteran on a short deal like third baseman Joe Randa or shortstop Rich Aurilia.

Randa is just about as good defensively as Crede at 3rd base and his bat is light-years ahead. He can even BUNT!!!

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
You're not the only one. Pitching, defense and timely hitting have been our strong points this year and have been the reason why we've won so many games.

Shea Hillenbrand is not a butcher at third base he's just not great. He would be a down grade defensively but not enough to ignore his bat.

Im not in favor of any downgrade at all. Ozuna is a slight upgrade offensively from Crede and we saw what happens when we sacrafice defensive ability. Im not for it. If we bring in anyone to transplant Crede he better be equally of better defensively.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I agree that it would suck to downgrade our defense at 3rd base.  The best and cheapest likely solution is probably this one...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...08-majors_x.htm

Randa is just about as good defensively as Crede at 3rd base and his bat is light-years ahead.

randa is also more experienced, and id imagine hed hitter better in the cell also

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Im not in favor of any downgrade at all.  Ozuna is a slight upgrade offensively from Crede and we saw what happens when we sacrafice defensive ability.  Im not for it.  If we bring in anyone to transplant Crede he better be equally of better defensively.

Its hard to pass up a 300BA for a guy that may be a shade less than Crede at 3rd. Randa fits that. Shea might not be the defensive god that Crede is, but he only has 2 errors and has made some nice plays this year. This continuous, well we wont upgrade because our chemistry is the only thing that matters is not how the game is played. All teams make upgrades at this point in the year.

We already have a guy on our team that has a problem hitting consistantly and he plays SS. Uribe will most likely stay, while Crede will be were we will upgrade offensively.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm beginning to buy into the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" theory.

Crede has been terrible, but we are winning.. you take even the smallest thing out. . . you can only imagine.

The twins were winning a few years back, picked up Stewart and he gave them the spark to win the division.

If you think that KW will not make a trade just because we have a great record is not looking at his history.

Its hard to pass up a 300BA for a guy that may be a shade less than Crede at 3rd.  Randa fits that.  Shea might not be the defensive god that Crede is, but he only has 2 errors and has made some nice plays this year.  This continuous, well we wont upgrade because our chemistry is the only thing that matters is not how the game is played.  All teams make upgrades at this point in the year. 

We already have a guy on our team that has a problem hitting consistantly and he plays SS.  Uribe will most likely stay, while Crede will be were we will upgrade offensively.

The only question that Kenny probably has is -- is Joe Randa a "grinder"? If so, I think he will go after him. :lol:

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
The only question that Kenny probably has is -- is Joe Randa a "grinder"?  If so, I think he will go after him. :lol:

Randa and Shea are both Grinders. Shea is still in the playoff hunt with the Jays. The reds are out of the race and are ready to dump.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
The twins were winning a few years back, picked up Stewart and he gave them the spark to win the division. 

If you think that KW will not make a trade just because we have a great record is not looking at his history.

In his history, we have never been this good, nor had this much good chemitry on the field, nor had this complete of a team.

In his history, we have never been this good, nor had this much good chemitry on the field, nor had this complete of a team.

And Randa's bat could still help us more than Crede's good chemistry. The fact is that he is hitting .229. Crede could still remain on the team for his cheerleading services though.

Joe Randa

Eric Chavez

Vinny Castilla

Rob Mackowiack

Ryan Freel

Shea Hillenbrand

Pedro Feliz

Sean Burroughs

Edgardo Alfonso

Aubrey Huff

Morgan Ensberg

Mike Lowell

I'm I missing any names?

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Joe Randa

Eric Chavez

Vinny Castilla

Rob Mackowiak

Ryan Freel

Shea Hillenbrand

Pedro Feliz

I'm I missing any names?

Edgardo Alfonzo

Aubrey Huff

Morgan Ensberg

Alex Rodriguez

Mike Lowell

Sean Burroughs

Mark Texeira

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)

Exactly. The question we should be asking is whether the team needs an offensive upgrade at all. With the exception of Crede and Uribe's cold streaks, the team has been hitting very well lately. Adding one position player who may hit 50 points higher is not going to make a whole lot of difference. As long as Crede's glove is there, it makes sense to keep him for the remainder of the year. There's always the possibility Crede has a good second half. Replacing him with Feliz or even Randa is risky. Neither are anything but solid players, and they both could slump.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Edgardo Alfonzo

Aubrey Huff

Morgan Ensberg

Alex Rodriguez

Mike Lowell

Sean Burroughs

Mark Texeira

I'm gonna add the ones in bold. Ensberg I feel is not an option, A-Rod is not an option, Mike Lowell sucks and I'm gonna stick with 3rd baseman so I'm going to say no to Texeira because its been a few years since he's played 3rd.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I'm gonna add the ones in bold. Ensberg I feel is not an option, A-Rod is not an option, Mike Lowell sucks and I'm gonna stick with 3rd baseman so I'm going to say no to Texeira because its been a few years since he's played 3rd.

I was just throwing out people who's name I've seen speculated here in the last few weeks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Joe Randa

Eric Chavez

Vinny Castilla

Rob Mackowiack

Ryan Freel

Shea Hillenbrand

Pedro Feliz

Sean Burroughs

Edgardo Alfonso

Aubrey Huff

Morgan Ensberg

Mike Lowell