Feliz to the Sox?

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Exactly. The question we should be asking is whether the team needs an offensive upgrade at all. With the exception of Crede and Uribe's cold streaks, the team has been hitting very well lately. Adding one position player who may hit 50 points higher is not going to make a whole lot of difference. As long as Crede's glove is there, it makes sense to keep him for the remainder of the year. There's always the possibility Crede has a good second half. Replacing him with Feliz or even Randa is risky. Neither are anything but solid players, and they both could slump.

Even if they slump, its still better than .229. Joe has had 1400+ ABs in the majors to figure it out. I think having Uribe and Joe going against top tier pitching in August with the game on the line when we need contact. We cant have two outs in a row. Uribe is streaky but the swinging at everything and then Joe being Joe and two all the time spells for a slow spot in our lineup.

Why does everyone rag on Crede but Konerko seems to be getting a free pass.  See my thoughts in the Ozuna post.  Konerko/Tracy for Freel and Casey.

Well, Konerko puts up good power numbers and still manages to put up a decent OBP (.351) by drawing walks. He is not free from criticism either. But Crede is hitting .229 with a measly .300 OBP. That is pathetic.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Even if they slump, its still better than .229.  Joe has had 1400+ ABs in the majors to figure it out.  I think having Uribe and Joe going against top tier pitching in August with the game on the line when we need contact.  We cant have two outs in a row.  Uribe is streaky but the swinging at everything and then Joe being Joe and two all the time spells for a slow spot in our lineup.

It's not realistic to base the season on a couple at bats that may or may not happen in August. These types of situations arise in almost every game, and that's my point.

The Sox have amassed the best record in baseball while much of the lineup got off to a dreadful start. Konerko has been hitting well and consistently for three weeks. Dye has been unreal. Everett has been hitting well. Frank is back. Podsednik, Rowand and Iguchi have continued their hot hitting.

With nearly the entire lineup on a tear, offense is the least of my worries. I'm more concerned with shoring up the bullpen than replacing Crede.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
It's not realistic to base the season on a couple at bats that may or may not happen in August. These types of situations arise in almost every game, and that's my point.

The Sox have amassed the best record in baseball while much of the lineup got off to a dreadful start. Konerko has been hitting well and consistently for three weeks. Dye has been unreal. Everett has been hitting well. Frank is back. Podsednik, Rowand and Iguchi have continued their hot hitting.

With nearly the entire lineup on a tear, offense is the least of my worries. I'm more concerned with shoring up the bullpen than replacing Crede.

I am going to play devils advocate with you then. Based on your logic. Why upgrade the bullpen. Why upgrade anything. We have the best record in baseball and the 2nd best pitching in baseball. Maybe Dingo comes around, maybe Viz does also.

If we sit on our hands it will eventually come back to haunt us. Crede is a liablity. Dingo is a liability.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I am going to play devils advocate with you then.  Based on your logic.  Why upgrade the bullpen.  Why upgrade anything.  We have the best record in baseball and the 2nd best pitching in baseball.  Maybe Dingo comes around, maybe Viz does also. 

If we sit on our hands it will eventually come back to haunt us.  Crede is a liablity.

You're right, and I don't think the Sox need to make any major moves.

It comes down to whether you are offensively minded or pitching/defense minded. I fall into the second camp. It's much easier for the lineup to pick up a struggling hitter than it is to battle back from blown saves/poor relief outings, IMO. One hole in a good lineup is far better than a hole in the pen. That's just how I view it.

I would agree that Crede is a liability if he was costing the Sox games, but I don't believe he has. There are certainly much better third basemen out there, but what would it take to get one, and is it really necessary?

I'd like to see the Sox add a guy like Feliz to the roster by trading a minor league prospect or two (not any of our blue chip prospects however).

Then, he can take the Ross Gload/Timo Perez spot on the roster. Crede would still be the primary 3B, but Feliz would see plenty of time there. He would also be the primary backup at 1B, and could play some OF as well.

You keep Willie and Ozuna around because they are versatile, and they have speed, which is important for a team based on speed and defense. The only other true speedster on the roster is Podsednik, and we have many slow players in the lineup.

Since Crede is a Boras client, Feliz will be around as a possibility at 3B next year, and also around as a possible 1B if they let Konerko walk.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
I'd like to see the Sox add a guy like Feliz to the roster by trading a minor league prospect or two (not any of our blue chip prospects however).

Since Crede is a Boras client, Feliz will be around as a possibility at 3B next year, and also around as a possible 1B if they let Konerko walk.

Would you trade Ozuna or Harris for someone's b level prospects???

As for starting him in place of Kong or Crede, say hello to second place.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)

Then, he can take the Ross Gload/Timo Perez spot on the roster.  Crede would still be the primary 3B, but Feliz would see plenty of time there.  He would also be the primary backup at 1B, and could play some OF as well.

You keep Willie and Ozuna around because they are versatile, and they have speed, which is important for a team based on speed and defense.  The only other true speedster on the roster is Podsednik, and we have many slow players in the lineup.

This makes sense, but I have yet to hear why SF would trade Feliz in the first place. He's only an average player, but without Bonds and with Grissom doing awful so far, the Giants would have a hole to plug in the OF.

A Feliz for Crede swap next year may be feasable (a wash, if you ask me), but if the Sox have to replace Konerko, I would hope they could do better than Feliz.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Would you trade Ozuna or Harris for someone's b level prospects???

All depends. Not in our current situation. But if we didn't have the best record in baseball, and we needed pitching, and someone offered say an equivelent of Tracey or Bajanaru and Adkins for Ozuna, yes I would.

As for starting him in place of Kong or Crede, say hello to second place.

I said he would be a backup to Crede and Konerko this year, and would be around as a possibility at 3B or 1B next year.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
This makes sense, but I have yet to hear why SF would trade Feliz in the first place. He's only an average player, but without Bonds and with Grissom doing awful so far, the Giants would have a hole to plug in the OF.

A Feliz for Crede swap next year may be feasable (a wash, if you ask me), but if the Sox have to replace Konerko, I would hope they could do better than Feliz.

The Giants now have the rookie Ellison hitting .320, along with Grissom, Michael Tucker and alou for the OF. Not to mention Bonds when he comes back. For 1b, they have Niekro who's hitting .300. They need help and need to make some changes before their season is toast. I could see Luis Vizcaino being wanted by them. Or Shingo. Have them take Timo in the deal, and the sox can get a prospect

Feliz should be expendable with his over $2.2 mill contract.

His is the kind of versatility the sox could really use, esp. as his two best positions are 3b and 1b. And a power RH bat off the bench

The Giants now have the rookie Ellison hitting .320, along with Grissom, Michael Tucker and alou for the OF. Not to mention Bonds when he comes back. For 1b, they have Niekro who's hitting .300. They need help and need to make some changes before their season is toast. I could see Luis Vizcaino being wanted by them. Or Shingo. Have them take Timo in the deal, and the sox can get a prospect

Feliz should be expendable with his over $2.2 mill contract.

His is the kind of versatility the sox could really use, esp. as his two best positions are 3b and 1b. And a power RH bat off the bench

I could see the Giants wanting Vizcaino or Shingo for Feliz but they wouldn't want Timo, nor would they throw in a prospect to get him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I could see the Giants wanting Vizcaino or Shingo for Feliz but they wouldn't want Timo, nor would they throw in a prospect to get him.

I think Vizcaino and Shingo are both worth more than Feliz. That's where the prospect would come in. Timo could work for their OF as back up for all 3 spots [though I don't see the sox getting rid of Timo].

I think Vizcaino and Shingo are both worth more than Feliz. That's where the prospect would come in. Timo could work for their OF as back up for all 3 spots [though I don't see the sox getting rid of Timo].

Good idea. I still don't think we would get a prospect in a trade of (Vizcaino or Shingo) and Timo though. I think it would just be a 2-for-1 trade.

Shingo's 2005 salary: $2.5 million

Vizcaino's 2005 salary: $1.3 million

Timo's 2005 salary: $1.0 million

--------------------------------------------------

Feliz's 2005 salary: $2.43 million

Feliz's 2006 salary: $3.63 million

I could see a trade of Vizcaino and Timo for Feliz. I think we are stuck with Shingo at $2.5 million though. The open roster spot would then go to Gload when he is healthy. Feliz could then be our starting 3rd baseman next season and we could cut ties with Cruddy and Borass. The problem is that I'm not sure Feliz is worth $3.63 million for next season.

Edited by Jabroni

I do not think the Sox are going to trade from their bullpen. It is not hitting on all cylanders right now with Shingo and Vizcaino underperforming but I don't see them subtracting any bullpen pieces.

If there's a trade I see prospects going from the White Sox and possibly a change in bench players. If Shingo goes anywhere it will be to AAA. But if you think about it, even right now he has a role ... mop up. That saves other guys from throwing innings. It is a very low profile role but it's a role nonetheless. Vizcaino is our early innings guy and our extra innings guy.

Further I feel the only way we'll see someone from the minors is if there's an injury. Kevin Walker for lefties and Bajenaru for righties. If Marte's bicep problem lingers, Cotts moves into his role and up comes Walker again (not saying I'm a Walker fan but they have no one else doing the job at AAA).

Williams is right, it is not a buyers market. Too many teams are still in the hunt and one that is totally out of it is in the Sox' division.

Lastly I think Shingo's trade value is right at nada.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
I do not think the Sox are going to trade from their bullpen.  It is not hitting on all cylanders right now with Shingo and Vizcaino underperforming but I don't see them subtracting any bullpen pieces.

If there's a trade I see prospects going from the White Sox and possibly a change in bench players.  If Shingo goes anywhere it will be to AAA.  But if you think about it, even right now he has a role ... mop up.  That saves other guys from throwing innings.  It is a very low profile role but it's a role nonetheless.  Vizcaino is our early innings guy and our extra innings guy.

Further I feel the only way we'll see someone from the minors is if there's an injury.  Kevin Walker for lefties and Bajenaru for righties.  If Marte's bicep problem lingers, Cotts moves into his role and up comes Walker again (not saying I'm a Walker fan but they have no one else doing the job at AAA).

Williams is right, it is not a buyers market.  Too many teams are still in the hunt and one that is totally out of it is in the Sox' division. 

Lastly I think Shingo's trade value is right at nada.

That's what SF would probably want, guys who can help this year. But I think Vizcaino is coming back. I've seen him throw more than his slider

But I think Vizcaino is coming back. I've seen him throw more than his slider

I agree, I believe Vizcaino will be a big part of the Sox bullpen before it's all said and done. It's a long season and he will help, this guy is no Mike Jackson.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
That's what SF would probably want, guys who can help this year. But I think Vizcaino is coming back. I've seen him throw more than his slider

I haven't given up on Shingo yet, either. His problem has been the long ball, but he strikes out a lot of batters. I don't know what his problems are, but I hope he works them out.