59 World Series

steiny48

My dad didn't go, but he vividly remembers them. He's been a Dodger fan since he was a wee lad. When he first got his car he drove out to Brooklyn from Iowa to see a game.

He will always tell me how his Dodgers were heavy under-dogs and came in and stole the series. I so badly want to see the Sox win it all. Oh man I'll go crazy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
My dad didn't go, but he vividly remembers them.  He's been a Dodger fan since he was a wee lad.  When he first got his car he drove out to Brooklyn from Iowa to see a game. 

He will always tell me how his Dodgers were heavy under-dogs and came in and stole the series.  I so badly want to see the Sox win it all.  Oh man I'll go crazy.

I was fortunate enough to go to game one that the Sox won and

Big Klu hit two (homers). I was 11, and I think the Sox scored 11 runs!

Gotta go again if they make it!!! Next time I probably will not be on this earth.

QUOTE(steiny48 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)

Big Klu hit two (homers).  I was 11, and I think the Sox scored 11 runs!

Gotta go again if they make it!!!  Next time I probably will not be on this earth.

Just make it a few more months....its gonna be a fun conclusion to the season :cheers

By the way, welcome aboard :snr

Big Klu hit two (homers).  I was 11, and I think the Sox scored 11 runs!

Gotta go again if they make it!!!  Next time I probably will not be on this earth.

My father was also at Game 1, in the RF lower deck.

I was in the 4th grade, but I remember like it was yesterday. After Game 1 euphoria. After game 2 I knew they were in trouble. The forgotten part of that World Series was Dodger catcher Johnny Roseboro shutting off the running game of the Sox. Of course, and I've said this a million times to myself and others the stubborn refusal of Al Lopez to give Billy Pierce a start. I even mentioned it to Billy himself the one time I met him.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
my great aunt and uncle had there first date at game 1.

Jeez, I'd marry any guy that got tickets to take me to a Sox world Series game.

Anyway, that series was before my time, even my dad doesn't remember it (he was 4).

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
I was in the 4th grade, but I remember like it was yesterday. After Game 1 euphoria. After game 2 I knew they were in trouble. The forgotten part of that World Series was Dodger catcher Johnny Roseboro shutting off the running game of the Sox. Of course, and I've said this a million times to myself and others the stubborn refusal of Al Lopez to give Billy Pierce a start. I even mentioned it to Billy himself the one time I met him.

Lopez sure screwed up with that decision. Pierce was a gamer. He was just as good, if not better, than Whitey Ford. Lopez was a great manager, but that was just dumb.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)

Anyway, that series was before my time, even my dad doesn't remember it (he was 4).

I got tickets for scout seats. Game 1 and 2 at the Cell. Call me for more info. ;) :wub:

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)

Waits for Mr. Showtime to show up :P

Nope.

I was 4 years from existence at that time.

Missed the last Sox World Series, missed the last Blackhawks Stanley Cup.

Kinda hard to believe that 42 years or more have gone by since either of those things happened. At least the Hawks made the Cup Finals once since I was born, although the ass-whipping they took from the Penguins took some of the lustre off it. Got to see the Cup skated around the Stadium ice, though.....just the wrong team carrying it.....

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Lopez sure screwed up with that decision.  Pierce was a gamer.  He was just as good, if not better, than Whitey Ford.  Lopez was a great manager, but that was just dumb.

I was looking back at the stats and game logs last month - man, that decision pissed me off. Why not even towards the end of the series? Lopez, supposedly, was a stubborn dude - and his refusal to start Pierce is 1 of the worst blunders in Sox history IMO.

At least the Hawks made the Cup Finals once since I was born, although the ass-whipping they took from the Penguins took some of the lustre off it. Got to see the Cup skated around the Stadium ice, though.....just the wrong team carrying it.....

I saw that happen three times, from our seats in 1st Balcony, Sect. P, Row A. 1992, 1973, and 1971. Without question the most painful was 1971.

The nun who was my 8th grade teacher brought a TV into class and we all watched game one of the 59 series. This was St. Brendans school at 67th and Elizabeth st. How cool was that? I could never understand the controversy about the air raid sirens sounding when the Sox won the pennant that year. I guess I figured that everyone was watching the clinching game like I was.