Sox vs Royals 4/19

IlliniKrush

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
So the question is...is adding extra RISP worth subtracting some OBP (combined with the annoying the pitcher factor).

As long as Pods is up at 75% or so, I can live with it, because those hits by Thome, Iguchi, and Konerko will turn into more RBI's than just sitting back & waiting for a dinger.

Pods can score from first...our power is so sick from 3-4-5 right now that i'd rather men be on base than pods try to steal and pull his groin again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
So the question is...is adding extra RISP worth subtracting some OBP (combined with the annoying the pitcher factor).

As long as Pods is up at 75% or so, I can live with it, because those hits by Thome, Iguchi, and Konerko will turn into more RBI's than just sitting back & waiting for a dinger.

I agree and I think most advocating pods to steal are expecting at least a 75% success rate. Nobody is expecting Pods to get nailed 1/2 the time. You're not really a base stealer if that's your success rate.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
If only I had your baseball knowledge

When did I say i knew it all? What I do know giving up on a rookie 2 weeks in the season is dumb. But I havent claimed to be all knowledgable or however you want to put it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)

I have no problem with the 78% he put up last year before his injury, that doesn't really bother me even if it would in other players. Once I guy starts dropping under the 75% marker then you have some serious problems. His 46% in the final 2 months of the season was hurting the team more than it was helping it. I know he was hurt but if he doesnt feel that he can steal bases successfully then he shouldn't be doing it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
He had stolen a few bases in a row rather easily.  Considering there was a tall righty on the mound, he had no reason not to try and keep up his success on the bases.  There's no one on this site who dislikes Pods more than I do, but I want him stealing in that situation.

Yeah that's a good point.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
its amazing vaz can ever give up 5 runs in an inning when he's got that stuff...I'm imagining a Contreras like 2nd half from him this year.

If that's true we will run away with it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
I have no problem with the 78% he put up last year before his injury, that doesn't really bother me even if it would in other players. Once I guy starts dropping under the 75% marker then you have some serious problems. His 46% in the final 2 months of the season was hurting the team more than it was helping it. I know he was hurt but if he doesnt feel that he can steal bases successfully then he shouldn't be doing it.

On that part we can agree. At least thus far, Scotty is still at 75%, even though the sample size is a wee bit small. And those steals have already turned into runs, just yesterday in fact.