Gary Matthews Jr

blazewc77

First of all...Center Field is the least of our problems. The only reason Center Field is a problem is that Ozzie insists on playing a Left Fielder out there every time there's a righty on the mound. Left Field, SS, Starting pitching, bullpen are all much, much higher on the list than CF.

Secondly, Gary Matthews Jr. is coming off a career year in a contract year. I'd say there's a very good chance someone will overpay for him, and get less production than they pay for.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
First of all...Center Field is the least of our problems. The only reason Center Field is a problem is that Ozzie insists on playing a Left Fielder out there every time there's a righty on the mound. Left Field, SS, Starting pitching, bullpen are all much, much higher on the list than CF.

Secondly, Gary Matthews Jr. is coming off a career year in a contract year. I'd say there's a very good chance someone will overpay for him, and get less production than they pay for.

stay far far away from him.

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Gary Matthews Jr will be a free agent ? Should we pick him to help us clear our center field woes ????

As balta said we don't have CF woes, we've got managerial, back end of the BP, SP, LF & SS woes. Brian will be fine, also Gary is coming off a career year, he's 32 years old and reminds me alot of Tom Goodwin circa 1998, let some other club bite and overpay.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
As balta said we don't have CF woes, we've got managerial, back end of the BP, SP, LF & SS woes. Brian will be fine, also Gary is coming off a career year, he's 32 years old and reminds me alot of Tom Goodwin circa 1998, let some other club bite and overpay.

We have a CFer who had a .302 OBP during the 2006 season. To say that we don't have CF woes, or that Anderson is a lock to have a better season in 2007, is very optimistic. I think that if Kenny can upgrade he should. Also, someone needs to have a long talk with Ozzie about not playing Mackowiak in center. Ever.

Part of the reason for Mathews success is the Rangers batting coach helping him. Kind of like Crede's sudden change this season. Mathews jr. always had the talent to be the type of player he is showing this season though. If the price was right I would definitely consider him.

Personally though I think the Cubs make 2 big f/a signings this offseason and Mathews will be one of them. And I think they will probably overpay for him also which would make him a no go.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
We have a CFer who had a .302 OBP during the 2006 season. To say that we don't have CF woes, or that Anderson is a lock to have a better season in 2007, is very optimistic. I think that if Kenny can upgrade he should. Also, someone needs to have a long talk with Ozzie about not playing Mackowiak in center. Ever.

Wow, you really think Brian is going to strugle like he had at the begining of the year, next year? i don't and i don't think its too optimistic to think Brian is going to hit .270 15 60 next year, infact thats what i expect from him. He has performed very well at every level of baseball including college. Since June 11th here are BA's stats .280 .329 .420 .750, that certainly doesn't look like we need an upgrade in CF, considering his glove is the 1337 sauce and hes our #9 hitter.

Also from KWs own mouth from todays trib

"Question: Are the Sox a 90- to 100-victory team next year?

"Absolutely," Williams said. "We will not let this team become an aged team. That's why you saw us stick with Brian Anderson all year, and I think it paid off [for the future]."

Ozzie may hate Brian, but Brian is KWs guy. To sum it up; Brian is the future and piece one of a young and upcoming talented OF(Sweeney,Anderson,Fields). He isn't going anywhere and KW is going to constantly bring in young talent when its applicable like Fields/Sweeney in LF next year.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Wow, you really think Brian is going to strugle like he had at the begining of the year, next year? i don't and i don't think its too optimistic to think Brian is going to hit .270 15 60 next year, infact thats what i expect from him. He has performed very well at every level of baseball including college. Since June 11th here are BA's stats .280 .329 .420 .750, that certainly doesn't look like we need an upgrade in CF, considering his glove is the 1337 sauce and hes our #9 hitter.

Also from KWs own mouth from todays trib

Ozzie may hate Brian, but Brian is KWs guy. To sum it up; Brian is the future and piece one of a young and upcoming talented OF(Sweeney,Anderson,Fields). He isn't going anywhere and KW is going to constantly bring in young talent when its applicable like Fields/Sweeney in LF next year.

To be honest, beautox, I really don't know what Brian will do next year offensively. I do think his improvement needs to be more than just marginal, though. Some folks seem to think the CF position is locked up for the next decade with Brian, but I'm not ready to believe that yet.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)

Mackowiak easily cost the whitesox at least 3 games during the season because of his defense.

Anderson should be the every day CF, but we have to have a contigency plan in place in case he isn't the answer. A contigency plan in a quality reserve or LF type who can also handle CF if need be.

Otherwise, I think we need an upgrade in LF and SS with players that are good hitters and can handle the bat, homerun power not important. We need to get rabbits who can get on for the "Team of 1000 solo homers".

We need speed and bat handlers for those inevitable times the power brokers can't cash in. RF and CF are set (with a capable reserve in tow), C, 1, 3, and 2nd base are set. The new speed will come from LF and SS...and its not like Anderson, Dye, and Goochi can't run pretty well.

We need to sureup the bullpen. MacDougal and Thornton were great additions and will be the 1-2 setup punch for Jenks next year. After that who knows...Cotts, Logan, Riske, Haeger, Tracey, free agents, trade ins???? The ben needs to be sured up and we'll may well deal a SP for a package that would possibly include a RP. I'd love to package a SP and Uribe to get Uribe's replacement and Pods' replacement, then deal Pods to get a bullpen guy and a prospect. Who knows, but the way the team is right now its not going to succeed.

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Mackowiak easily cost the whitesox at least 3 games during the season because of his defense.

Significantly more than 3. I can think of 3 in the last 6 weeks or so. I can think of about 7-8 where he's really contributed to a loss in just the 2nd half.

I think he will still be a good player. He'll probably fall a litttle short of this year's numbers, and someone will pay him off of this year's numbers, so I would pass. If he would take a reasonable contract, I would sign him in a heartbeat. He's a better baseball player than Aaron Rowand.

Edited by Dick Allen