Bobby Abreu (34) - $16MM club option for '08

Ichiro Suzuki (34)

Milton Bradley (30)

Geoff Jenkins (33) - $9MM club option for '08

Trot Nixon (34)

Jose Guillen (32) - $9MM club option for '08

Shawn Green (35) - $10MM club option for '08

Eric Hinske (30)

Realistically, there aren't many names that excite you, after you get past a declining Ichiro that you'd question $45 million for 3 years, just like you'd question it for Jermaine Dye as well.

There aren't many leadoff hitters (or OF's capable of leading off)...you have Ichiro, MAYBE Milton Bradley (do well really want HIM on our team?), definitely no thanks with Lofton.

In terms of talent, Andruw Jones, Hunter and Corey Patterson are all interesting players, but Hunter's best years are behind him, and Jones isn't nearly the same level of outfielder he was five years ago. Not to mention the fact that Jones would need to adjust to a new league, and the NL is more of a FB league (his best pitch to hit) than a slow-pitch softball league.

Dunn fits in with the slugging ways of the White Sox, but is he really the type of player KW would go out and spend $10-15 million per season on? He's pretty one-dimensional.

So that leaves Ichiro (expensive and aging), Milton Bradley and Corey Patterson who best fit the profile of traditional KW and White Sox "talent searches" in the OF. Might as well throw Jose Guillen in there as well as a "cheapie" replacement for Dye in RF.

Somehow, I wouldn't be shocked to see the White Sox continue to "copy" the Twins and take Castillo and Hunter, but I think both of these players are out of their primes, and it would be dangerous to take a chance because of the high-rent neighborhood contract Hunter will occupy, unless he's injured again and doesn't have a very good season.

Edited by caulfield12

We already have Torii Hunter on this team... his name is Brian Anderson. If Brian Anderson can finally play to his potential, he will probably put up similar numbers to Hunter. I'd rather take my chance with that, then sign Hunter.

Castillo is interesting at 2B. Both him and Iguchi are about the same age, but Castillo is a year younger. Castillo would probably be a better option at 2B, if we were to sign either of them. Castillo is a GG 2B, has very good speed, and would be a good option for leadoff. But it would all depend on the price.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
We already have Torii Hunter on this team... his name is Brian Anderson. If Brian Anderson can finally play to his potential, he will probably put up similar numbers to Hunter. I'd rather take my chance with that, then sign Hunter.

Castillo is interesting at 2B. Both him and Iguchi are about the same age, but Castillo is a year younger. Castillo would probably be a better option at 2B, if we were to sign either of them. Castillo is a GG 2B, has very good speed, and would be a good option for leadoff. But it would all depend on the price.

Keep in mind, Castillo would be moving from turf to natural grass. At this point in his career, it would negate some of his advantages. He's not ever going to steal 30 bases again. I think Iguchi is just a very good fit with this White Sox team (except when he tries to bunt).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Ill take an outfield of Anderson/Ichiro/Byrnes

Let the downpour of comments begin on the parade for Mr. Byrnes. I'm hard-pressed to see him as a starter in the American League, he looks much better than he is over in the NL.

Just thought about it, and Brynes and Erstad are the same age.

Edited by caulfield12

I would like an outfield with Andruw Jones and Ichiro Suzuki in it. Maybe Jones in left, BA in center, and Ichiro in right? Then we can have Fields play 3rd and get a middle infielder for Crede that can handle the bat and bat 2nd.

RF Ichiro Suzuki

2B ?

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

LF Andruw Jones

3B Josh Fields

C AJ Pierzynski

CF Brian Anderson

SS Juan Uribe

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
I would like an outfield with Andruw Jones and Ichiro Suzuki in it. Maybe Jones in left, BA in center, and Ichiro in right? Then we can have Fields play 3rd and get a middle infielder for Crede that can handle the bat and bat 2nd.

RF Ichiro Suzuki

2B Chase Utley

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

LF Andruw Jones

3B Josh Fields

C AJ Pierzynski

CF Brian Anderson

SS Juan Uribe

while you're at signing both ichiro and jones, why don't we keep the cream dream going and "trade" for chase utley... lol.

We won't sign either of them, let alone one.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)

RF Ichiro Suzuki

2B ?

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

LF Andruw Jones

3B Josh Fields

C AJ Pierzynski

CF Brian Anderson

SS Juan Uribe

Horray for $150M payrolls!!! Jones = Boras by the way.

Dunn would be a fantasy of mine, but he's pretty much the worst defensive LFer in the game. I think even Podsednik is better than him.

Ichiro still remains the best all around option for this team at this time. And I would go 4/$60 for Ichiro, and I think that could very likely get him. He keeps himself in phenominal shape, and doesn't just steal bases because he's fast but because he's a flat out outstanding base stealer. Also, if necessary, I would go an extra $2-3 mill a year, because a table setter like Ichiro is one thing that would be fantastic for this lineup.

However, I see the Sox big splurge being on ARod - assuming he opts out - and the Sox will go with another .330-.340 OBP leadoff man, which is just ridiculous.

Of the big name free agent OF's that aren't already on the team (like Dye), the only one I see us making a serious run at is Ichiro. The Sox seem to be confident in Anderson**, Sweeney, and maybe later Owens then Cunningham, are going to be solid OF's for the big team eventually. So it seems unlikely to me we sign 2 free agent OF's. Even the idea of re-signing Dye and signing Ichiro seems a huge stretch for this organization.

Plus a lot of how the Sox' outfield looks in 2008 is dependent on this year's performance by Erstad, Anderson, and in the minors Sweeney and Owens, before we even get to the whole free agent thing.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
I would love to see the Sox make a run at Suzuki either at the break(although we don't have much to give up and they will ask for a lot, though we have raped Bavasi twice :P) or after the season.

Sweeney/Anderson/Suzuki would be a nice outfield

If we are out of contention, almost everyone on our major league roster will become available at the right price. Of course, I don't think KW will go out and get Ichiro if we're in rebuilding mode, doesn't make sense at all. Especially if he can't be signed to an extension and we are letting Iguchi go as well.

If we are in serious contention, we have bullpen arms, Fields, Sweeney and lots of minor league arms as well (but in AA and AAA, not the low minors).

However, we raked the M's over the coals with both the Garcia and Thornton deals, not sure if they're ready to be embarassed 3 times in three years.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
I like what we have and hope we re-sign Dye and Pods. Iguchi is a darn good 2bman and fits in well on this team. We should be happy with what we have for a change instead of looking at a team of 25 free agent signings.

Oh dear, please no.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
However, we raked the M's over the coals with both the Garcia and Thornton deals, not sure if they're ready to be embarassed 3 times in three years.

Remember who you're dealing with here.

bavasi.jpg

Depending on what happens with our own free agents I dont see us making too many huge moves next offseason. KW may overlook signing a SP to replace MB because of all the young arms he traded for this offseason. I could also see him letting Dye go and THAN letting BA start. They are gonna have to address the outfield with at least one free agent IMO though.