Erstad/Anderson MEGAThread

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie is of the belief that Darin Erstad is the superior centerfielder which is a complete joke. Despite the fact that he's slower and has made numerous mental mistakes this season Ozzie can just fall back on the fact that he won a GG playing out there every day like 5 years ago.

So, I don't understand this at all, but I'm going to point it out, because it appears to be fact.

Ozzie Guillen will not take Scott Podsednik out of LF for a defensive replacement late in games.

Ozzie Guillen will take Rob Mackowiak out of LF for a defensive replacement late in games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
So, I don't understand this at all, but I'm going to point it out, because it appears to be fact.

Ozzie Guillen will not take Scott Podsednik out of LF for a defensive replacement late in games.

Ozzie Guillen will take Rob Mackowiak out of LF for a defensive replacement late in games.

Logic + Ozzie = Does Not Compute.

On a separate note, how great has Mack looked in LF the last 2 nights? It's so unusual to see such confidence/ability in LF for the Sox. So great to see.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
At the game I was surprised Mack was still in LF with a no no going in the 7th.

I can only think BA was in left because of Mark being left handed against mostly right handed hitting.

For that ONLY, I give Ozzie benefit of doubt on that strange move

He said about a week ago that if he was going to make any defensive replacements late in games that it would be Brian heading to LF with Erstad in CF. I guess he doesn't want to disrespect his veteran players or hurt Erstad's feelings. Ozzie is pretty much living in his own world on this one.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
On a separate note, how great has Mack looked in LF the last 2 nights? It's so unusual to see such confidence/ability in LF for the Sox. So great to see.

He said about a week ago that if he was going to make any defensive replacements late in games that it would be Brian heading to LF with Erstad in CF. I guess he doesn't want to disrespect his veteran players or hurt Erstad's feelings. Ozzie is pretty much living in his own world on this one.

So here's the question- how LONG does the organization go with Erstad hitting like this before they make a move? I mean, Hawk (who is believes in everything KW and gang are doing) said last night he is SO HAPPY that GrindErstad is here with us, despite hitting .156 or whatever the sick average is.

I wonder how long his free pass goes- my feeling is he can hit .200 or below until June 1 without them doing a thing, which is really scary...

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
So here's the question- how LONG does the organization go with Erstad hitting like this before they make a move? I mean, Hawk (who is believes in everything KW and gang are doing) said last night he is SO HAPPY that GrindErstad is here with us, despite hitting .156 or whatever the sick average is.

I wonder how long his free pass goes- my feeling is he can hit .200 or below until June 1 without them doing a thing, which is really scary...

If healthy, I foresee him starting in centerfield for the rest of the season despite his abysmal offensive production. There's no one else currently on the roster who the organization feels is any better than him and I don't really have much confidence in KW going out and acquiring a starting position player before the deadline.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
If healthy, I foresee him starting in centerfield for the rest of the season despite his abysmal offensive production. There's no one else currently on the roster who the organization feels is any better than him and I don't really have much confidence in KW going out and acquiring a starting position player before the deadline.

I think that based on last year, they can only go so long with him hitting like Anderson before they give someone else a legit shot. It would help if B.A. could get some good at bats in the backup role they've given him, but so far that hasn't happened. But seriously, can they live with another CF hitting below the Mendoza line throughout April and May again?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
I think that based on last year, they can only go so long with him hitting like Anderson before they give someone else a legit shot. It would help if B.A. could get some good at bats in the backup role they've given him, but so far that hasn't happened. But seriously, can they live with another CF hitting below the Mendoza line throughout April and May again?

If they wait that long to give BA a shot, he'll be just as bad at the plate as Erstad. It's a lose-lose.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)

Who knows, he stuck with Pods in the leadoff role all of last year. He will lose at bats, but I still feel he will be the starting centerfielder most or all of the year.

But Erstad is a grinder remember? Anderson isn't.

Even with Erstad's OBP below .250 and his OPS hovering around the .450 mark Ozzie still says he loves what he's seen from Darin. If Oz can make comments like these while Erstad is possibly the worst offensive player in baseball then my confidence in Ozzie to bench his ass when he's probably hitting about 30 points higher (in order to match Anderson's '06 numbers he'll have to hit a little eventually) is pretty much shot.

The armchair managing has reached epic proportions the likes of which I have never see before.

Anderson was virtually handed a starting outfield position for a defending-champion roster on a golden platter and could not capitalize on it. He was renown for being one of "Kenny's guys." and the two better center field options in the organization were cleared out of the way so that Anderson would essentially be handed the spot.

And yet, the organization is out to get Brian Anderson.

The way this has been playing out on this board has been cracking me up.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
The armchair managing has reached epic proportions the likes of which I have never see before.

Anderson was virtually handed a starting outfield position for a defending-champion roster on a golden platter and could not capitalize on it. He was renown for being one of "Kenny's guys." and the two better center field options in the organization were cleared out of the way so that Anderson would essentially be handed the spot.

A rookie struggled at the plate (but improved), alert the press! He played great in the field and batted decently for several months after the ASB.

I don't see how anyone can justify keeping GRINDERstad out in CF right now. Does he offer a single advantage over BA?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)

He was a rookie that had a bad season at the dish. Ban him from baseball.

Nobody is saying anything about the organization...but clearly there is something going on with Ozzie and him.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
He was a rookie that had a bad season at the dish. Ban him from baseball.

Nobody is saying anything about the organization...but clearly there is something going on with Ozzie and him.

...but, don't anyone think Anderson did something to land himself in this position, right?

Clearly, this is an example of Ozzie flying off the handle for no reason, right?

Damn that Ozzie Guillen, former 15-year MLB veteran and first Latin American manager to win a World Series.

Clearly, something is wrong with that guy to not acknowledge a talent the caliber of Brian N. Anderson.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Logic + Ozzie = 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS

Does that compute??

Unstoppable pitching staff = 2005 World Series Champions

It doesn't take much managerial skill when your pitching staff throws back-to-back-to-back-to-back CG's. That's just pure domination.

Ozzie won a WS in 2005. Good for him, time to move on. And it certainly doesn't justify and stupid decisions or non-decisions he makes now.

Hell, even during 2005, he made some genius moves like playing Timo at 1B.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Unstoppable pitching staff = 2005 World Series Champions

It doesn't take much managerial skill when your pitching staff throws back-to-back-to-back-to-back CG's. That's just pure domination.

Ozzie won a WS in 2005. Good for him, time to move on. And it certainly doesn't justify and stupid decisions or non-decisions he makes now.

Hell, even during 2005, he made some genius moves like playing Timo at 1B.

Please, please, stop it...stop it...you're killing me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again, the baseball savvy, fan of the game will tell you it is better to psychoanalyze each and every managerial decision throughout the course of the year than to put stock in that season's outcome.

I'm not getting back into this again; but, that's why Bobby Cox could be the manager of the same ball club for the better part of two decades and why Bob Brenly and his "Baseball for Dummies: Manager Edition" are up in the broadcasting booth in Wrigley Field.