MMA Thread

Lesnar walked right into that leg lock. I know Mir is awesome at subs but everyone saw that that sub coming once Lesnar was standing in Mir's guard.

I think we're about a year away from seeing a top 10 fighter in Lesnar. He just needs to learn a little patience and sub defense. Once he learns that, he'll be the heavyweight champ.

Anyone watching Tank/Kimbo tonight? I'm throwing some money on Tank with +350 odds.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Eh, i'm not looking forward to anything on that EliteXC card, i'll wait to hear if it's download-worthy.

I'm actually interested in the Ricco/Silva fight. Ricco looks in much better shape compared to his last fight.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
If this account of his book is accurate, Matt Hughes is an absolute piece of s***:

http://mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?ac=ListMessage...14943&FID=1

You have to sift through the posts to get to the guy's chapter-by-chapter synopses, but there's a TON of sickening s*** in that book.

Hypocrite. This guy rants about how Matt Serra isn't a good role model because he cusses on TV, and Hughes has done this kind of stuff? I knew for some reason I didn't like him.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Washed up? He was never that good to begin with. His record is 9-13 and has never beaten anyone noteworthy.

I say "washed up" only because he was one of the first notable names in the UFC

His record was 8-6 before he lost 7 of his last 8 decisions, so I know he's never been any kind of unstoppable monster.

He was always a one-trick pony knockout guy and his quick fade was inevitable because he's never been in shape.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
I say "washed up" only because he was one of the first notable names in the UFC

His record was 8-6 before he lost 7 of his last 8 decisions, so I know he's never been any kind of unstoppable monster.

He was always a one-trick pony knockout guy and his quick fade was inevitable because he's never been in shape.

There were also a lot of cans in those early UFC days.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 04:12 AM)
Critic----are you a member of mma.tv too?

some of the stuff had to have been taken out of context but that thread was pretty funny.

No, not a member. I found that link off a thread at Boxing Outsider (not a member of that, either, though).

I don't get deep enough into the details and minutia of MMA to feel comfortable posting at an MMA-dedicated board.

Here's the video of the Kimbo/Tank fight, all 43 seconds of it:

http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/

Announcer: "Which Tank will we see tonight? Sherman? Or Septic?"

:lol:

Does Kimbo have a future in regulated fights? I have watched a lot of his internet backyard fights, and he overmatched everyone I saw him fight except for the Cop, but then again he is fighting complete amateurs. Tank Abbott is no amateur per se, but he obviously doesnt take fighting as seriously as many of the other fighters considering his weight and overall general fitness.

Is Kimbo just going to be a sideshow looking for tomato cans?

It looks like Kimbo has legit stand up skills. Plus he is training under a former champion who is very smart. I'd like to see Kimbo fight someone who is a legit threat to take the fight to the ground. Then we'll see how good is he and can be.

Showtime knows Kimbo is a big draw right now. It is in their best interest to keep him winning. But he needs a step up in competition soon. One rumor is a Ken Shamrock/Kimbo fight later this year. That would help help Kimbo a lot if he wins or lose (aslong as he is competitive). Kinda like Lesnar who lost but showed some big time potential. Time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Any thoughts on tonight's PPV? I'm gonna go with Silva, I'll say 4th round TKO.

I haven't been able to make a call on this one yet. Henderson has never been KO'd, but Silva has been such a buzzsaw. Really looking forward to it.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
I haven't been able to make a call on this one yet. Henderson has never been KO'd, but Silva has been such a buzzsaw. Really looking forward to it.

Silva made him tap to RNC in the 2nd round. There was some talk about Silva going to 205 after this fight. Not a whole lot left at 185 for him, I guess Okami would get the shot now if he stays.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 02:36 AM)
Silva made him tap to RNC in the 2nd round. There was some talk about Silva going to 205 after this fight. Not a whole lot left at 185 for him, I guess Okami would get the shot now if he stays.

I'm stunned, Henderson came out ready to go in that 1st round and it's like Silva flipped a switch in the 2nd. Undoubtedly he is the best pound for pound fighter out there. If i'm Dana I try to get Filho to come over from the WEC and face Silva. There's no one else for him to run through.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
I'm stunned, Henderson came out ready to go in that 1st round and it's like Silva flipped a switch in the 2nd. Undoubtedly he is the best pound for pound fighter out there. If i'm Dana I try to get Filho to come over from the WEC and face Silva. There's no one else for him to run through.

After the fight last night Silva said he won't fight him, they are friends and training partners. I know anything can change, but there's a few hurdles in that matchup before it would happen

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
After the fight last night Silva said he won't fight him, they are friends and training partners. I know anything can change, but there's a few hurdles in that matchup before it would happen

Do you think he'd really wanna bulk up though? Not doubting his ability to still be dominant at a bigger weight class, but would you throw him into the fire at top contenders right away or would you give him some midcard guys to get his feet wet.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
Do you think he'd really wanna bulk up though? Not doubting his ability to still be dominant at a bigger weight class, but would you throw him into the fire at top contenders right away or would you give him some midcard guys to get his feet wet.

yeah, not sure how well it would work. He basically wouldn't cut I think. I imagine his natural weight is probably around 200, but that would still make him small because many, if not all, of the top 205ers cut.

It would be interesting. I just don't know what's left for him at 185 in the UFC

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
yeah, not sure how well it would work. He basically wouldn't cut I think. I imagine his natural weight is probably around 200, but that would still make him small because many, if not all, of the top 205ers cut.

It would be interesting. I just don't know what's left for him at 185 in the UFC

I guess Okami would be the next opponent then. But what did you think about the other fights during the night?

• 1 month later...