Food Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Good stuff. Usually, I am around Congress/Michigan for class, but I need to get back to Ogilve every day, so I usually cut back over to Madison on State, then take Madison back to Canal. Usually I have a bunch of time to kill, and have just ended up eating in the train station. I need some better food.

If you have extra time between classes/trains i'd go to Standing Room Only on Dearborn, they're known for their turkey burgers but i'm a fan of the italian beef.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
If you have extra time between classes/trains i'd go to Standing Room Only on Dearborn, they're known for their turkey burgers but i'm a fan of the italian beef.

That's what she said...

I couldn't resist.

The Turkey Place is Jaffa Cafe I believe.

I eat around that area every day, Venice Cafe is a nice place if you like cheap and big portions. They also have some good calzones, slices of pizza. A lot of people eat Baccino's pizza (on Clinton). My Thai in presidential towers is supposed to be good.

And always The Market in Presidential Towers, for like $6 they have the executive meal which is a sandwich, soup, and drink.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
The Turkey Place is Jaffa Cafe I believe.

I eat around that area every day, Venice Cafe is a nice place if you like cheap and big portions. They also have some good calzones, slices of pizza. A lot of people eat Baccino's pizza (on Clinton). My Thai in presidential towers is supposed to be good.

And always The Market in Presidential Towers, for like $6 they have the executive meal which is a sandwich, soup, and drink.

Jaffa Cafe is it! Thank you.

Baccino's deep dish was very underrated. We used to get it a lot when I worked at 550 west Jackson. 4 of us would split one, and be plenty full.

Then of course if you are in that area, Lou Mitchell's is a legendary breakfast spot on Jackson, but you also pay for it.

Union Station is also over there, which has a very cool Cajun Chinese place that is very different. The Bourbon Chicken is solid.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I am not a fan of the meal, but supposedly Lou Mitchells and G&G are good spots.

I went with Ricobene's and was extermely dissapointed. My peppers were pretty much raw and I ordered some Pasta f**ioli

and I got cream of potato. WTF?? I hate when I have a bad lunch :(

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
I went with Ricobene's and was extermely dissapointed. My peppers were pretty much raw and I ordered some Pasta f**ioli

and I got cream of potato. WTF?? I hate when I have a bad lunch :(

You have to get the breaded steak if you go to Ricobene's. There is no point in going there otherwise.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Anyone have a good pepper and egg place downtown??

A pepper and egg sandwich with plenty of hot sauce on it is the best.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
for all you former illini, I'm about to hit up murphy's for one of their amazing burgers and a logo glass.

Mmmm, loved Murphy's burgers. Maybe the second best sandwich in Champaign when I was there, with the legendary Friday fried fish sandwiches from DeLuxe pool hall being the best. They were so good.

Its actually Jaffa Bagels, I always confuse it with Haifa Cafe because that place gives out a million fliers.

And Union Station also has a sandwich place that has some interesting things, but the drinks are pre-made and in ice so its kind of watered down.

And Lou Mitchell's is good,its a nice place for breakfast.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)

Ya they have great omlettes,very unhealthy.And the free dounut holes are a nice touch while you wait for your breakfast.

Edited by shipps

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Maybe the second best sandwich in Champaign when I was there, with the legendary Friday fried fish sandwiches from DeLuxe pool hall being the best. They were so good.

That place is currently Legend's, a sports bar, also my personal favorite bar on campus. Apparently they got the recipe from Deluxe and is still packed every friday for those sandwiches. I'm not a big fish guy, but every once and awhile, they're pretty glorious.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
That place is currently Legend's, a sports bar, also my personal favorite bar on campus. Apparently they got the recipe from Deluxe and is still packed every friday for those sandwiches. I'm not a big fish guy, but every once and awhile, they're pretty glorious.

Wow, I'm glad they're still making them. Makes it worth a trip back right there. :cheers

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
for all you former illini, I'm about to hit up murphy's for one of their amazing burgers and a logo glass.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)

Good to see the student following the teacher's lessons

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
Its actually Jaffa Bagels, I always confuse it with Haifa Cafe because that place gives out a million fliers.

And Union Station also has a sandwich place that has some interesting things, but the drinks are pre-made and in ice so its kind of watered down.

The Snuggery, which is just off of the old grand hall, correct?

Theres a place off the grand hall, but there is also one up the stairs. If you enter on the east side of Jackson by the river, go down the stairs/escalator to the right will be the sandwich place. The other entrance is on Adams, and when you go down there is the crispy creme, corner bakery.

Its only 11:47 but now im getting hungry.

So any tips on any unlikely foods that are really good protein sources?

For example a typical day of food for me would be a breakfast of cereal, a bagel before I get to work (with nothing in it), a lunch consisting probably of some sort of foccacia / sandwich (it'll most likely have chicken in it), an apple / chocolate bar in the afternoon, some potato chips when I get home from work, dinner would probably be a Steak / Chicken / Fish with potatoes, carrots, beans, celery, lettuce and broccoli and Dessert would probably be some Ice - Cream or an Orange.

(Waits for the you need to eat more posts..........). :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
So any tips on any unlikely foods that are really good protein sources?

For example a typical day of food for me would be a breakfast of cereal, a bagel before I get to work (with nothing in it), a lunch consisting probably of some sort of foccacia / sandwich (it'll most likely have chicken in it), an apple / chocolate bar in the afternoon, some potato chips when I get home from work, dinner would probably be a Steak / Chicken / Fish with potatoes, carrots, beans, celery, lettuce and broccoli and Dessert would probably be some Ice - Cream or an Orange.

(Waits for the you need to eat more posts..........). :lol:

And not a whiff of Vegemite anywhere in there?!? Are you sure you're Australian? :)