• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so I just read something that made me laugh out loud. Lynn Forester de Rothschild (former Clinton supporter) said she doesn't like Obama because he is an elitist. ROFL. Isn't she one of the richest people in the world? Who is she to be calling someone "elitist"?

Man, that label is f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Ok so I just read something that made me laugh out loud. Lynn Forester de Rothschild (former Clinton supporter) said she doesn't like Obama because he is an elitist. ROFL. Isn't she one of the richest people in the world? Who is she to be calling someone "elitist"?

Man, that label is f***ing stupid.

The label's stupid if you don't have anything to substantiate it with. However, IMO, I think the way I described it, he is an eliteist. At least I have a definition. :lol:

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
The label's stupid if you don't have anything to substantiate it with. However, IMO, I think the way I described it, he is an eliteist. At least I have a definition. :lol:

And how is McCain not an Elitist? Does he have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet and clip coupons? Does he carpool to work?

I give you that. More often than not, actually damn near all the time, it's just thrown arbitrarily and doesn't mean anything at all.

IMO, the "nation of whiners" comment was pretty elitist (god I hate that word). It's easy to trivialize and mock other people when you're not one of them and you don't identify with their problems.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
IMO, the "nation of whiners" comment was pretty elitist (god I hate that word). It's easy to trivialize and mock other people when you're not one of them and you don't identify with their problems.

The guy flies around in his wife's private jet. Not sure how the average American can relate.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)

I absolutely agree. I think McCain's a friggin' nutcase as well, but I have been very consistant on that point, for those willing to admit it... :P

Obam was scheduled to give a speech at the Brandenburg Gate in Germany when he makes his trip later this month.

The German government wasnt too keen on it. now it looks like the Bush-ies might have been working behind the scenes to snuf Obama:

The respected Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper reported this week that a member of the Bush delegation approached Merkel's foreign policy advisor, Christoph Heusgen, at the G-8 summit in Japan to discuss misgivings about Obama's planned speech. The government is also acting out of respect for Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who has long enjoyed strong ties to Germany and good personal relationships with a number of high-level government officials in Berlin.

The allgemeine zeitung is an incredible paper by the way. An inspiring model for what I hope can happen here. The papers are much more national over there. BUt they are run by a foundation that keeps all business and advertising separate from the editors and paper. They never here a word. It generates revenue obviously but gets funding from many places and donors.

Sorry, but I have to:

Panderer-in-Chief: McCain Tells a New Version of Heroic P.O.W. Story

McCain told a rather moving story about his time as a P.O.W. "When I was first interrogated and really had to give some information because of the pressures, physical pressures on me, I named the starting lineup, defensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers as my squadron mates."

"Did you really?" asked the reporter.

"Yes," McCain said.

Here's one reason he likely couldn't do it today -- the Steelers aren't the team whose defensive line McCain named for his Vietnamese tormentors. The Green Bay Packers are. At least according to every previous time McCain has told this story. And the McCain campaign just told ABC News that the senator made a mistake -- it was, indeed, the Packers.

I could make a "senior moment" joke, but I wont.

Another GOP politician in Alaska is indicted

State Sen. John Cowdery, the oldest member of the Alaskan legislature and a Republican power, has been indicted on federal bribery charges for his role in an effort to buy the support of another senator in the battle over tax legislation favored by North Slope oil producers.

According to the 16-page indictment, Cowdery and others conspired to give the other state senator $25,000, characterized as campaign contributions.

The indictment was handed up by a grand jury Wednesday but not filed in U.S. District Court until Thursday.

Gov. Sarah Palin, also a Republican, called for Cowdery, of Anchorage, to resign.

"It was disturbing to learn that another public official has been charged with violating the public trust. I urge Senator Cowdery to step down, for the good of the state," Palin said.

Cowdery, 78, was chairman of the powerful Rules Committee until January. He has been in poor health.

This would have happened sooner, but the tubes to Alaska were clogged. ;)

But I bet he can at least spell it. :)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
Sorry, but I have to:

Panderer-in-Chief: McCain Tells a New Version of Heroic P.O.W. Story

I could make a "senior moment" joke, but I wont.

Eh it was like 40 years ago. The story didn't really gain or lose anything there. It's not like he said he was dodging sniper fire while evading questions.

This is... just... wow:

Rove avoids subpoena by fleeing the country

This morning, Karl Rove refused to appear before the House Judiciary Committee to testify about the politicization of the Justice Department, despite a subpoena. During the hearing, Rep. Chris Cannon (R-UT) revealed that Rove had not only skipped out of the hearing, but had skipped out of the entire country.

When ThinkProgress contacted Rove’s lawyer, his office confirmed that Rove was out of the country “on trip scheduled long before the subpoena was sent.” Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-CA) said Rove’s attorney “never mentioned” this trip to the committee. Rove’s bogus claims of executive privilege were rejected by the Committee as “not valid” by a 7-1 vote. The committee gave Rove five days to comply with the subpoena.

Sanchez indicated she was unlikely to hold a contempt vote until late this month.

Marcy Wheeler astutely notes that Bush did not, in fact, invoke executive privilege for Rove.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

This may be one of the most awkward moments in political history...

I can almost see his mind turning and thinking "oh god. how have I voted? i dont know where i stand!"

UPDATE: Ed Rollins (a Republican Strategist) said that video is the most uncomfortable video he's ever seen in his 40 years in politics.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 11:18 AM)
I think it's especially funny because the reporter seems especially passive and accommodating in her questions.

no, i think it's being fair. She asked him a question and pressed him on it. It would be rather unprofessional to me to badger him into a response or anger attack. I thought she did a good job, he just pooped his pants when asked and didnt know how to respond. You cant FORCE him to answer. Heck, his NON-answer was almost an answer in itself.

PS: He said he would get back to her later that day, I have not seen yet that he ever did. But, he was a little busy trying to appease us whinny Americans.