• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been in discussions with the White House about leaving her job next year to become head of the World Bank, sources familiar with the discussions said Thursday.

If Clinton were to leave State, John Kerry, a close Obama ally who is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is among those who could be considered as a possible replacement for her.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)

Patients aren't going to experience a loss of freedom or satisfaction because an expert reviewer at the Independant Payment Advisory Board makes the call as to whether a procedure is medically beneficial, rather than the corresponding bureaucrat at their insurance provider or at the for-profit clinic they're attending.

Not sure how many different times, or how many different ways I've said this...

...what's the difference to YOU? Nothing!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
btw the "gold standard" always seemed kind of silly to me. Why does a shiny metal have so much intrinsic value?

Now it's used in a number of technological applications.

I like this guy. This is the kind of speech you'd get if the character Stephen Colbert actually ran a full Presidential campaign.

"Put me in charge of the fence and it will be a twenty foot wall, barbed wire, electrified on the top. And on this side of the fence, I'd have that moat that President Obama talked about. And I would put those alligators in that moat!"

Anyone who doesn't believe Tim Pawlenty's economic plan and its 5% growth estimates doesn't believe in the American people.

Obama's economic team doesn't have a plan, so their spokespeople attack ours. The idea that they don't believe in the American people enough to say that we can grow the economy at 5% GDP really says everything. You have to wonder if in fact Obama's grand plan is that we don't grow at all — and if so — he and the central planners are doing a great job of that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
So how come more Democrats are calling for Wiener to resign than Rangel?

Because the only thing the press cares about more than a misbehaving democrats penis is a missing white woman.

Corruption? Ha!

Hilariously dumb exchange between me and a random friend of a guy I know. My friend posted a status making fun of Newt Gingrich and he said this:

"Newt is not only polarizing, but his politics are decidedly left of center. He is just a Democrat in Republican clothing."

Holy f***ing s***, how twisted does your worldview have to be to believe Newt Motherf***ing Gingrich is "decidedly left of center?" When I tried to politely tell him there wasn't a left-wing bone in Gingrich's body he justifies it with this statement:

"Kieth, do you realize that the health care plan he proposed in opposition to Hillary Care is essentially Romney/Obama Care? Do you not know that he allied with Hillary Clinton on SCHIP in the late 1990's."

Aside from the fact that he was looking right at my name and still managed to spell it wrong, it's really awesome that he has the ability to switch the flow of time in REVERSE so he can say that Gingrich's plan was Obamacare, instead of the order the events actually happened, which would have him phrase it "Obama/Romney's plan was the Gingrich/Republican/Heritage plan" since 1994 did in fact happen before 2006 and 2010. At least it was their plan until Obama endorsed it and it became politically convenient to pretend that never happened, something that should really be common knowledge but isn't. Richard Nixon must've used all that anti-communism paranoia as a smokescreen because his healthcare plan makes him pretty much Karl Marx when you sit him next to Obama.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Because the only thing the press cares about more than a misbehaving democrats penis is a missing white woman.

Corruption? Ha!

Yeah, I don't get it at all. Rangel is dirty as hell, Weiner is a dumbass with a fun name for forth graders. I guess we know where that ranks the MSM.

Gov. Walker's war on craft beer:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/06/1...sin-craft-beer/

Tucked into Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s ® much-discussed budget was a little-noticed provision to overhaul the state’s regulation of the beer industry. In a state long associated with beer, the provision will make it much more difficult for the Wisconsin’s burgeoning craft breweries to operate and expand their business by barring them from selling directly to restaurants and liquor stores, and preventing them from selling their own product onsite.

The new provision treats craft brewers — the 60 of whom make up just 5 percent of the beer market in Wisconsin — like corporate mega-brewers, forcing them to use a wholesale distributor to market their product. Under the provision, it would be illegal, for instance, for a small brewer located near a restaurant to walk next door to deliver a case of beer. They’ll have to hire a middle man to do it instead.

But more noteworthy than the provision itself is how it was enacted. The provision was quietly slipped in the massive budget legislation without any consultation from independent craft brewers, who are justifiably outraged by it. One group that clearly did have input, however, is one of the world’s largest beer makers — MillerCoors:

Now if he starts taxing sausage and cheese, we'll likely have a bloody revolution just north of our border.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
Gov. Walker's war on craft beer:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/06/1...sin-craft-beer/Now if he starts taxing sausage and cheese, we'll likely have a bloody revolution just north of our border.

My reaction when someone posted this in the SLAM Catch-all thread:

I read that and went through some of the links. I could really evaluate based on the articles whether or not it would actually shut down any small breweries or not, a number of them said that they already use distributors and it isn't a problem.

It sounds like a Miller/Coors sellout, but when you look at the links in that article, it sounds a lot more complicated, there are always quality control issues and management issues, other states without large brewing companies have the same rule and it doesn't shut down local brewers there, and many of the local brewers already use distributors.

This is one of those cases where the issue is so local and so foreign to me that applying the national left/right Walker is good/evil standards blindly might get one in trouble.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Uh oh. Looks like Democrat leader, Weiner, could go to jail.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/10.../#ixzz1Oud57T00

At least so far, there's no evidence (yet) that he did anything sexual involving that 17 year old. Currently, he's doing the "Leave of absence/Therapy" path.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
At least so far, there's no evidence (yet) that he did anything sexual involving that 17 year old. Currently, he's doing the "Leave of absence/Therapy" path.

well that is good news. any idea to when Weiner will start his new job at CNN?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
well that is good news. any idea to when Weiner will start his new job at CNN?

Our good friend Mark Foley went on Fox News this week, Hannity's show, to suggest that Weiner should resign, but also defended the rights of adults to send sexually suggestive electronic messages to minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
Our good friend Mark Foley went on Fox News this week, Hannity's show, to suggest that Weiner should resign, but also defended the rights of adults to send sexually suggestive electronic messages to minors.

Were's lost's nearly world famous smiley.