Attendance numbers for the WS parade?

kman

Unfortunatly there were many a bandwagon type fan in attendance that couldn't name you one member of the South Side Hitmen or don't know who Jimmy Piersall is and didn't know that Harry Carey first started his take me out to the ballpark with the White Sox.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Unfortunatly there were many a bandwagon type fan in attendance that couldn't name you one member of the South Side Hitmen or don't know who Jimmy Piersall is and didn't know that Harry Carey first started his take me out to the ballpark with the White Sox.

Not every Sox fan needs to be a SoxTalk-level expert. That doesn't make them bandwagoners. Just casual fans. We need those to have the money to make the team better.

I better stop watching the Hawks because I am not sure who the PBP man was before Pat Foley and I mean last year not his first go through or the PA address announcer before Gene Honda....crap and I was enjoying them so much. Oh well I better start my fan knowledge enhancement project by Wikipediaing Orval Tessia (sp?)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Not every Sox fan needs to be a SoxTalk-level expert. That doesn't make them bandwagoners. Just casual fans. We need those to have the money to make the team better.

It doesn't necessarily make them casual fans, either. I know plenty of people who are die-hard Sox fans that wouldn't be able to name someone from a team that long ago. Some merely do not delve deeply into team history but instead know what is going on in the present. I don't judge a fan being hardcore only if they can name players from a prior era of baseball.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
It doesn't necessarily make them casual fans, either. I know plenty of people who are die-hard Sox fans that wouldn't be able to name someone from a team that long ago. Some merely do not delve deeply into team history but instead know what is going on in the present. I don't judge a fan being hardcore only if they can name players from a prior era of baseball.

Screw that. If you do not know the White Sox double play combo from 1987 you can go the F back to Russia!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Screw that. If you do not know the White Sox double play combo from 1987 you can go the F back to Russia!

Guillen-Manrique?

And it doesn't matter how many people showed up for the parade. We all know the Cubs' parade will blow ours away.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Guillen-Manrique?

And it doesn't matter how many people showed up for the parade. We all know the Cubs' parade will blow ours away.

Yes to Guillen-Manrique (nicely done). You may show up to the next world series parade.

It is funny you mention the Cubs parade. I resisted saying the same thing and am surprised it took 11 posts for someone to point out how much bigger that mythical Cubs celebration will be. Someday...

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I better stop watching the Hawks because I am not sure who the PBP man was before Pat Foley and I mean last year not his first go through or the PA address announcer before Gene Honda....crap and I was enjoying them so much. Oh well I better start my fan knowledge enhancement project by Wikipediaing Orval Tessia (sp?)

The National Hockey League still exsists?Wow,I did not know that...it looks like my post rubbed some people here the wrong way and I guess I'm a bit older than the average fan here but you gotta know a bit about your favorite team,without knowing every single detail out there which is impossible.At least ya gotta know a few players from different eras,the sox did exsist before 2005.And I'm not claiming to be an expert at sox history since I started following them since the late 70s and many here weren't born yet,I realize that but I've read a bit on the history of the White Sox because I just find it interesting and not to try to claim that I'm more of a fan but there a bandwagon fans who were sox fans in 05 and would be Cub fans if they were to make it to the WS,those are the "fans" I was slamming.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
The National Hockey League still exsists?Wow,I did not know that...it looks like my post rubbed some people here the wrong way and I guess I'm a bit older than the average fan here but you gotta know a bit about your favorite team,without knowing every single detail out there which is impossible.At least ya gotta know a few players from different eras,the sox did exsist before 2005.And I'm not claiming to be an expert at sox history since I started following them since the late 70s and many here weren't born yet,I realize that but I've read a bit on the history of the White Sox because I just find it interesting and not to try to claim that I'm more of a fan but there a bandwagon fans who were sox fans in 05 and would be Cub fans if they were to make it to the WS,those are the "fans" I was slamming.

Other than the Sox, I'm a bandwagon fan for every other team I root for. I enjoy the Bears having success, but if they suck I don't lose any sleep over it. If they win it all, I'll celebrate it. I loved the Bulls during the MJ era, but haven't watched a full Bulls game this year. I'm just now getting back to being a Blackhawks fan, but I have been deprived of hockey since ESPN stopped showing games. I now have DirectTV and the NHL Center Ice package. But, I wouldn't have paid much more than cursory attention to the Hawks for the last decade or so. So, you can slam me for my 'fandom' of the Bears, Bulls and Hawks ... then ask me if I care.

*...slowly raises hand*

Uh, I've heard of the South Side Hitmen many times, and I've heard of the players' names before, but I just can't remember them for the life of me if I had to name them off the top of my head.

Jimmy Piersall? Never heard of him, who's that?

I knew about the Harry Carey thing, and I always find it hilarious when I hear people (usually Cubs fans) say that we're stealing the 7th inning stretch from the Cubs, lol.

Honestly, I'm just a late-bloomer when it coems to baseball. I went to my first Sox game when I was about 8 or 9 years old and my favorite Sox player at the time was a back-up catcher named Mike LaValier (sp?). I also played little-league baseball, but at the time I didn't really learn how to play baseball at the same pace as my peers because my dad was too busy with opening can after can of beer.

I ended up falling out interest with baseball only to end up watching the Sox again in 2002, and really becoming a hardcore Sox fan after Ozzie Guillen was hired in 2003. 2004 was the first season where I actually watched about 100 games, then I've been hooked ever since.

So yea, I may not know of the older era, and I'm only 23, but I'm by no means a "bandwagon" fan by any stretch. I bleed black and white!

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
*...slowly raises hand*

Uh, I've heard of the South Side Hitmen many times, and I've heard of the players' names before, but I just can't remember them for the life of me if I had to name them off the top of my head.

I knew about the Harry Carey thing, and I always find it hilarious when I hear people (usually Cubs fans) say that we're stealing the 7th inning stretch from the Cubs, lol.

Honestly, I'm just a late-bloomer when it coems to baseball. I went to my first Sox game when I was about 8 or 9 years old and my favorite Sox player at the time was a back-up catcher named Mike LaValier (sp?). I also played little-league baseball, but at the time I didn't really learn how to play baseball at the same pace as my peers because my dad was too busy with opening can after can of beer.

I ended up falling out interest with baseball only to end up watching the Sox again in 2002, and really becoming a hardcore Sox fan after Ozzie Guillen was hired in 2003. 2004 was the first season where I actually watched about 100 games, then I've been hooked ever since.

So yea, I may not know of the older era, and I'm only 23, but I'm by no means a "bandwagon" fan by any stretch. I bleed black and white!

I was looking for the "hug" smiley but I do not think there is one. That is beautiful. I am glad to call you one of my own. Spanky Lavalliere? You definitely have a soft spot for the unsung.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
*...slowly raises hand*

Cool story.

We all have come upon the Sox in our own way....

One of the great things about sports is how it brings families together, generations of them even...

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
Other than the Sox, I'm a bandwagon fan for every other team I root for. I enjoy the Bears having success, but if they suck I don't lose any sleep over it. If they win it all, I'll celebrate it. I loved the Bulls during the MJ era, but haven't watched a full Bulls game this year. I'm just now getting back to being a Blackhawks fan, but I have been deprived of hockey since ESPN stopped showing games. I now have DirectTV and the NHL Center Ice package. But, I wouldn't have paid much more than cursory attention to the Hawks for the last decade or so. So, you can slam me for my 'fandom' of the Bears, Bulls and Hawks ... then ask me if I care.

I now can tell you more about the Spurs than the Bulls, but I still would cheer long and loud for the Bulls.

I can now tell you more about the Hidalgo Killer Bees than the Blackhawks, but I'd break out my Hawks gear and hit the local sports bar if they were in the finals.

I want every damn casual fan and bandwagon jumper to screw the Cubs and come on over to the Sox.