Aroldis Chapman?

elmo9246

Does anybody know what teams he's interested in or if the Sox have any chance at getting him to sign? I saw that he might be commanding a big contract but the Sox seem to have had luck with Cuban defects in the past and if I'm not mistaken his agent is that of Contreras, Alexei, and Dayan (possibly excluding on of those, I don't know for sure). They're basically calling him another Strasburg and h is supposedly 21 years old. Anyone think he's worth making a run at or it the Sox even have a chance?

At $30 million, yes, at $50-75 million, it's looking a lot more dubious...especially with the recent remarks about the attendance and budgeting issues.

Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants...the usual suspects.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elmo9246 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
I was thinking that too and if the Yankees get involved in any way you might as well just kiss the deal good bye.

The Sox were outbid for Viciedo but he wanted to come to the Sox because of the success of other Cubans. Who he picks as his agent will likely have an effect where he ends up.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
The Sox were outbid for Viciedo but he wanted to come to the Sox because of the success of other Cubans. Who he picks as his agent will likely have an effect where he ends up.

Hence why we're all hoping it's Jaime Torres.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/i...roldis-chapman/

Video from WBC (probably is somewhere else already on this site, from cubano or someone)

His fastball looks to really pop in the catcher's mitt with force! But he does tend to display wildness at times in the count. Needs to work on the curve as it hangs a bit to the outside on right handed hitters. But he hit mid to upper 90's easily and 100 mph once. Real upside on being a true power pitcher if can harness that control 100%. Look out. Hard to compare him Strasburg from the left side but I tend to think his control is not as polished and he needs to work on the secondary pitches.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
At $30 million, yes, at $50-75 million, it's looking a lot more dubious...especially with the recent remarks about the attendance and budgeting issues.

Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants...the usual suspects.

Considering the White Sox have not signed another team's major league free agent for more than $20 million since December 1996, if any of the reports on what it would take to sign this guy are accurate, I would say the Sox have about zero chance to sign this guy.

Didn't Kenny say we shouldn't expect to get every Cuban when those two kids were available in the offseason?

Whatever happened to those guys? One was a CF i think and the other a pitcher or something.

Pump they are in the US but awaiting clearance from the US Treasury (OFAC) to make sure they are doing bogus financial things like trying to send money back to the Cuban gov. Also they are waiting for background checks to finish and verify their ages and also work permits to be able to be declared Free Agents and then look for teams. The pitcher Yadel Marti is who I have suggested we go after but there is no way to gage whether he is truly MLB ready. He has tons more experience than Viciedo but the transition is very rough. Time will tell.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Pump they are in the US but awaiting clearance from the US Treasury (OFAC) to make sure they are doing bogus financial things like trying to send money back to the Cuban gov. Also they are waiting for background checks to finish and verify their ages and also work permits to be able to be declared Free Agents and then look for teams. The pitcher Yadel Marti is who I have suggested we go after but there is no way to gage whether he is truly MLB ready. He has tons more experience than Viciedo but the transition is very rough. Time will tell.

Thanks. Ya I remembered going through this kind of talk earlier in the year and we will probably go threw it anytime a Cuban defects. With good reason too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Considering the White Sox have not signed another team's major league free agent for more than $20 million since December 1996, if any of the reports on what it would take to sign this guy are accurate, I would say the Sox have about zero chance to sign this guy.

Thank god he's not another team's free agent then!

I think the fact that he has not signed with Jaime Torres who helped bring Viciedo and Ramirez to the Sox does not bode well for us long term, as well as his expected salary demands which some say will be in excess of 40-50 million. To that I say no thanx.

There was a "toolsy" CFer (think his last name was Perez) that was talked about being signed (at the time) for $1-2 million per season, but I think he's in the same situation as Marti (who came later) and is currently being held up by immigration issues. He was one of the two other players the Dominican tryout with Viciedo.

Cubano didn't seem to expect a whole lot out of him...as much as he talks about the 1B and the LHP (Arguelles?).

Edited by caulfield12

Even with Chapman not signing on with Jaime Torres, he faces a lengthy wait for OFAC (Treasury) to certify he is not funneling money to Castro, then FBI and immigration checks. After all that is done he will probably be granted a VISA and residancy. Then he is free/eligible to negotitate a contract. I think it will be until the Winter MLB meetings before we hear any solid news on his possible destinations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
I know when my wife came from Russia and was being processed for a K-3 visa, the biggest hold-up was at the Department of State, with the database checking of names against the "terrorism watchlist" and then cross-checking. Her app was stuck there 2-3 months at least.

Mail order??