Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
as a Dem, I'm thoroughly confused and slightly annoyed. I hate this kind of blind faith, and I thought we'd gotten past all the Obamania. But I guess we haven't quite... shame. Essentially with all this godliness we're heaping on Obama, it's going to be impossible for him to "succeed". How bout he's just a man. A very powerful man, but a man nonetheless. Not to mention one with a pitiful congress backing him up. But that's for another time.

Yes, a very, very, very powerful man. The US president shapes world policy. Everyone has to react to how we are going to go about things. There's a reason the rest of the world knows so much about our political leaders.

Can we stop acting llike Obamania exists? The guy is getting criticized way more than he is getting praised, this has been happening consistently for the past 4 months at least. CNN ran a fact check over whether his comparison to hitler was legit.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Are you serious? Do you not realize that half the s*** Obama gets is for being a narcissist, for being the world-perceived Messiah? He got nominated for the Nobel Prize TWO WEEKS INTO HIS ADMINISTRATION. For doing what exactly? In the past few years, this award has been given to Jimmy Carter for speaking out against George W. Bush, now, it’s been given to Obama for not BEING Him. These are the questions that are going to be asked for the next couple of months. People are going to start examining the man, and his accomplishments and when that happens they just might realize that, yeah, this emperor has a Nobel peace prize, but he also has not clothes

How does the nomination or award reflect negatively on Obama himself?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
HAHA REALLY?

THIS is one of the worst things that could have happened for Obama? Not an Israeli strike on Iran? Not another banking collapse? Not 20% unemployment? GETTING THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

Would you like to miss the point anymore, or do you want me to step in and lead you in the right direction? Obama’s success is fueled by his image, the idea, that he gets rewarded for doing nothing, doesn’t help that. It severely hampers his prestige throughout the world, because every single rational man on the planet knows that he did nothing to deserve this award.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
as a Dem, I'm thoroughly confused and slightly annoyed. I hate this kind of blind faith, and I thought we'd gotten past all the Obamania. But I guess we haven't quite... shame. Essentially with all this godliness we're heaping on Obama, it's going to be impossible for him to "succeed". How bout he's just a man. A very powerful man, but a man nonetheless. Not to mention one with a pitiful congress backing him up. But that's for another time.

"We?"

Are you serious? Do you not realize that half the s*** Obama gets is for being a narcissist, for being the world-perceived Messiah? He got nominated for the Nobel Prize TWO WEEKS INTO HIS ADMINISTRATION. For doing what exactly? In the past few years, this award has been given to Jimmy Carter for speaking out against George W. Bush, now, it's been given to Obama for not BEING Him. These are the questions that are going to be asked for the next couple of months. People are going to start examining the man, and his accomplishments and when that happens they just might realize that, yeah, this emperor has a Nobel peace prize, but he also has not clothes

I guess I missed the part where only his work while President was considered.

Are you serious? Do you not realize that half the s*** Obama gets is for being a narcissist, for being the world-perceived Messiah? He got nominated for the Nobel Prize TWO WEEKS INTO HIS ADMINISTRATION. For doing what exactly? In the past few years, this award has been given to Jimmy Carter for speaking out against George W. Bush, now, it’s been given to Obama for not BEING Him. These are the questions that are going to be asked for the next couple of months. People are going to start examining the man, and his accomplishments and when that happens they just might realize that, yeah, this emperor has a Nobel peace prize, but he also has not clothes

Jimmy Carter got the nobel peace prize for a ton of humanitarian work. Seriously, that is one of the most ignorant things i've read on this board in a while (and that is saying something).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Would you like to miss the point anymore, or do you want me to step in and lead you in the right direction? Obama’s success is fueled by his image, the idea, that he gets rewarded for doing nothing, doesn’t help that. It severely hampers his prestige throughout the world, because every single rational man on the planet knows that he did nothing to deserve this award.

No you are right, of awful things that could happen to a person, i've consistently stated that getting a 1.3 million dollar award along with a prestigious medal is among the top. I pray to GOD EVERYDAY to not let me win the nobel peace prize.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
No you are right, of awful things that could happen to a person, i've consistently stated that getting a 1.3 million dollar award along with a prestigious medal is among the top. I pray to GOD EVERYDAY to not let me win the nobel peace prize.

:notworthy :lolhitting

For doing what exactly?

via Ackermann:

But turning it down would be a slap in the face to an international community that is showing, in the most generous way possible, that it wants the U.S. back as a leading component of the global order. The issue is not Barack Obama. It’s what the president represents internationally: a symbol of an America that is willing, once again, to drive the international system forward, together, toward the humane positive-sum goals of peace and disarmament. The fact that Obama hasn’t gotten the planet there misses the point entirely. It’s that he’s beginning, slowly, to take the world again down the path.

Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, observes that the award is a “recognition of President Obama’s work to strengthen international cooperation. It validates the president’s approach to tough trans-national challenges such as global warming and the spread of nuclear arms. And it celebrates his steady efforts to improve America’s standing around the world.”

In the past few years, this award has been given to Jimmy Carter for speaking out against George W. Bush, now, it’s been given to Obama for not BEING Him.

Nice hyperbole.

People are going to start examining the man, and his accomplishments

So after 10 months no one was examining the man and his accomplishments but now they will. *rolls eyes*

Jan 22 (two days after in office)

Obama puts plans to end Guantanimo Bay

The leading black eye on america, a site of torture and kafka-esque trialization was enough to get nominated. Since then, clearly this wasn't what should win the award, but the non-nuclear proliferation is a big step for the WINNING.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Yes, a very, very, very powerful man. The US president shapes world policy. Everyone has to react to how we are going to go about things. There's a reason the rest of the world knows so much about our political leaders.

Can we stop acting llike Obamania exists? The guy is getting criticized way more than he is getting praised, this has been happening consistently for the past 4 months at least. CNN ran a fact check over whether his comparison to hitler was legit.

dude if you were paying ANY attention during the election, you'd know Obamania did exist. People voted for him without ANY knowledge of ANY of his policies. Hope they said. He's hopeful. And yes, I know that this sort of thing happens in many elections, but it doesn't get people who have NEVER voted before to register. That part was new. In any case, yes I know there has been criticism, but there has always been this air of "he can fix everything" about Obama. And one other thing is that he seems to like being a celebrity president and that adds to the "Obamania". I mean, commercials with him and George Lopez? Come the f*** on. How bout spend that day working on health care instead of shooting a dumbass commercial for a bad comedian.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
dude if you were paying ANY attention during the election, you'd know Obamania did exist. People voted for him without ANY knowledge of ANY of his policies. Hope they said. He's hopeful. And yes, I know that this sort of thing happens in many elections, but it doesn't get people who have NEVER voted before to register. That part was new. In any case, yes I know there has been criticism, but there has always been this air of "he can fix everything" about Obama. And one other thing is that he seems to like being a celebrity president and that adds to the "Obamania". I mean, commercials with him and George Lopez? Come the f*** on. How bout spend that day working on health care instead of shooting a dumbass commercial for a bad comedian.

The election was a long time ago. Especially considering I'm dealing with the August town halls.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)

So we need someone who people will not follow to lead? How does that work?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
BTW, that George Lopez commercial is from the '08 campaign. I was really confused at first, too.

That's no excuse. Ever since he announced that he was running for President he should have been working 24/7, 365 on making America better. No exceptions.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
BTW, that George Lopez commercial is from the '08 campaign. I was really confused at first, too.

Hush, it's more fun when the REPs don't know that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
So we need someone who people will not follow to lead? How does that work?

i guess if the only way to get people to follow you is by telling George Lopez to change late night, because "that's the kind of change he can believe in"... then the state of our population is in a sad place.