Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
And leave it to the American right wing to crap on something we should be proud of. Just like they laughed at us losing an Olympic bid.

What the... YOU laughed at us losing the Olympic bid, you revelled in it. Are you now a member of the American Right Wing?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Those scientists who get awarded usually wait decades for recognition of their contributions. They don't get the Nobel while they're still doing the research.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have been shocking to me if the ?Phillipines? aids vaccine would have won, it was an extraordinary accomplishment in a field desperately looking for one.

When I was in Europe, there were a few things, seriously- a few- that they said would improve America's reputation. Obama did nearly every one in his first 10 days.

edit: not the nobel peace prize but whatev. you get the gist.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Those scientists who get awarded usually wait decades for recognition of their contributions. They don't get the Nobel while they're still doing the research.

They gave the award to the German chancellor before the wall came down, to Gorbachev for trying to reform the Soviet Union, etc.

I mean, I'm not saying Obama deserved the award, but it's not unprecedented for them to do it this way either. It's not like it's something new where they just decided their award didn't mean anything anymore.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
They gave the award to the German chancellor before the wall came down, to Gorbachev for trying to reform the Soviet Union, etc.

I mean, I'm not saying Obama deserved the award, but it's not unprecedented for them to do it this way either. It's not like it's something new where they just decided their award didn't mean anything anymore.

I didn't say THEY didn't decide it doesn't mean anything. I am saying if it becomes a political carrot/stick, it will become meaningless to the rest of the world.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Bahahaha :lolhitting

Coming from someone who openly rooted for us to lose the Olympic bid...

I figured we'd get it and actually was saddened when we lost. I didn't openly laugh when we lost as some of here seem to be lying about.

Some people really are ignorant.

I posed this on my Facebook: "Just shows how bad Bush was viewed around the world. 9 months and Obama is mother Theresa."

And got this wonderful reply: "Naturally Obama is viewed better than Bush for one main reason. Bush was very open about his Christian faith and although he may have made a number of mistakes as president, he never wavered on his convictions in regards to the sanctity of life and marriage being strictly between a man and a woman. In other words he tried to do his job the best ... Read Morehe could while holding to a Biblical world view. Obama is very secular in his world view supporting gay marriage and abortion. Obama's world view is what is popular in Europe which is no longer even close to being Christian."

just... ugh.

"

The following is the text of the announcement on Friday by the Norwegian Nobel Committee giving the Nobel Peace Prize to President Barack Obama:

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

"

Nobel Prize Committees explanation.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Basically, "he's doing the opposite of what's happened over the last 8 years."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
And leave it to the American right wing to crap on something we should be proud of. Just like they laughed at us losing an Olympic bid.

Eh are you really surprised anymore? Politics in this country are an absolute joke. I refuse to watch the talking heads on FOX or the Twitter updates on CNN anymore. It's unbearable.