Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
I notice balta did not deny that he's mysmilie_680.gif

Nice smiley.

And...no...postdocs are not that well paid. At least now though I get health benefits to cover my wife, as a grad student that didn't happen.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to actually give some props here.

The campaign of former Utah governor Jon Huntsman Jr. seized on Perry’s comments to portray the Texas governor as outside the mainstream with his climate change views. Huntsman himself does believe in the science behind global warming.

“We’re not going to win a national election if we become the anti-science party,” John Weaver, Huntsman’s chief strategist, said in an interview Wednesday. “The American people are looking for someone who lives in reality and is a truth teller because that’s the only way that the significant problems this country faces can be solved. It appears that the only science that Mitt Romney believes in is the science of polling, and that science clearly was not a mandatory course for Governor Perry.”

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
Its really too bad he has near-zero chance to win the nomination. He'd probably have a better shot in the general than most of the other GOP candidates.

He would get destroyed in the general election.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
That's the liberal interpretation. Any connection with religion by any state official = unconstitutional.

Liberal as in political liberal? You are kidding.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
He would get destroyed in the general election.

He'd do better than anyone but Romney I'd bet. You have to keep in mind that, by the time any candidate gets the nomination, they are a known commodity. That playing field is level at that point. So then, it really comes down to two things - getting your base to show up in big numbers, and enticing moderates and independents. On the former, as much as some of the ultra-conservatives may not like a moderate candidate, they hate Obama more, so they will show up. On the latter, only someone like Huntsman or Romney will be able to pull any significant number of swing voters - the others are just too extreme.

OK so, I am not usually one of the people who posts random quotes and statements from people, showing their verbal slip-ups or other stupid statements. But this one, I really feel like I have to....

Michelle Bachmann, having won the Ames Straw Poll, is having her moment to shine - this is her best chance to get into people's view. As such, she decided to make her first big attention-grabbing campaign promise. She says that is she is made President, she promises to deliver $2/gallon gas.

I mean... it is difficult for me to describe how mind-numbingly stupid this is, for so, so many reasons. All these candidates make promises they can't meet. true for either party. But I think this one takes the cake for the most absurd, unbelieveable one. Couldn't she at least pick something attainable, and that she, you know, would have some control over?

I think if I run, I am going to promise to end all tornadoes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
OK so, I am not usually one of the people who posts random quotes and statements from people, showing their verbal slip-ups or other stupid statements. But this one, I really feel like I have to....

Michelle Bachmann, having won the Ames Straw Poll, is having her moment to shine - this is her best chance to get into people's view. As such, she decided to make her first big attention-grabbing campaign promise. She says that is she is made President, she promises to deliver $2/gallon gas.

I mean... it is difficult for me to describe how mind-numbingly stupid this is, for so, so many reasons. All these candidates make promises they can't meet. true for either party. But I think this one takes the cake for the most absurd, unbelieveable one. Couldn't she at least pick something attainable, and that she, you know, would have some control over?

There are some things you can control, such as the taxes on the gasoline, but even then it won't be near enough for $2 a gallon, unless she can really strengthen the dollar that much which is pretty damn hard to do.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
There are some things you can control, such as the taxes on the gasoline, but even then it won't be near enough for $2 a gallon, unless she can really strengthen the dollar that much which is pretty damn hard to do.

Cutting deficit spending by an appreciable amount would go a long way towards doing exactly that.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)

Of course you can control some aspects of it. Stronger dollar is good, though we are going to be running deficits for so long that it won't appreciate much anyway, so that's pennies. More drilling and extracting domestically? Pennies again, and not until after Obama and the next President have left office. Taxes? Lower taxes is lower effective pricing, but federal tax on gas is only 18 cents per gallon, and that money is used for road projects. So even if you do ALL of that, maybe in 10 years you shave off 50 cents - and in the meantime let the interstates go to s***.

All else beyond that is NOT in government control, it is global demand and supply. The best way to shield the US from gas price issues is to get off gas as much as possible.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 06:34 AM)
Liberal as in political liberal? You are kidding.

No, not really. Liberals believe that separation of church and state means that no public official should have anything to do with religion. We just debated this in the Buster a couple of weeks ago when Perry posted something on his website. Read BigSwerts post a page or two ago. It's not enough that government doesn't promote or sponsor religion, they shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it. That's not in the constitution, but that's where we're at now in how we view it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Of course you can control some aspects of it. Stronger dollar is good, though we are going to be running deficits for so long that it won't appreciate much anyway, so that's pennies. More drilling and extracting domestically? Pennies again, and not until after Obama and the next President have left office. Taxes? Lower taxes is lower effective pricing, but federal tax on gas is only 18 cents per gallon, and that money is used for road projects. So even if you do ALL of that, maybe in 10 years you shave off 50 cents - and in the meantime let the interstates go to s***.

All else beyond that is NOT in government control, it is global demand and supply. The best way to shield the US from gas price issues is to get off gas as much as possible.

She must have been playing to this audience:

(thanks Balta)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
Its really too bad he has near-zero chance to win the nomination. He'd probably have a better shot in the general than most of the other GOP candidates.

To me, he seems like the most impressive in the field, by a long shot. Of course, his every foible has not been front-page news.

David Sessions reads the Texan's screed, "Fed Up." Money quote:

War seems to be a love like no other for Perry—the one arena where he’s happy for the federal government to break all his rules. After bemoaning in chapter after chapter the federal government’s inherent, hopeless corruption and waste, he asserts that the U.S. seriously underspends on national defense and that the Pentagon’s sprawling bureaucracy is both indispensable and infallible. He even argues strenuously against cutting funding for the F-22, a fighter jet the outgoing defense secretary, Robert Gates, called a Cold War relic and a source of massive waste.

via Sullivan

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2463094:date=Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:38 AM:name=NorthSideSox72)-->
<!--quotec-->OK so, I am not usually one of the people who posts random quotes and statements from people, showing their verbal slip-ups or other stupid statements. But this one, I really feel like I have to....

(can someone remind me how to embed videos?)

That is another possibility (other than global economic depression) - massive government subsidies, to the tune of say, $1-$1.50/gallon. I'm sure the liberals would love that, right?

The only definite way to insulate American companies and citizens from the shocks of oil and gas prices, is to use a lot less of it. Failing to address that would be a mistake of epic proportions.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)

(can someone remind me how to embed videos?)

First, while at the Youtubes, hit the "Share" button, then the "Embed" button, and copy the embed code. Paste the embed code into the post box in the "Full reply" window (can't do it in quick reply). Then, at the bottom, where there is a pulldown menu next to "Post options" - select "HTML on - Auto Linebreak mode".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
First, while at the Youtubes, hit the "Share" button, then the "Embed" button, and copy the embed code. Paste the embed code into the post box in the "Full reply" window (can't do it in quick reply). Then, at the bottom, where there is a pulldown menu next to "Post options" - select "HTML on - Auto Linebreak mode".

thanks!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
He'd do better than anyone but Romney I'd bet. You have to keep in mind that, by the time any candidate gets the nomination, they are a known commodity. That playing field is level at that point. So then, it really comes down to two things - getting your base to show up in big numbers, and enticing moderates and independents. On the former, as much as some of the ultra-conservatives may not like a moderate candidate, they hate Obama more, so they will show up. On the latter, only someone like Huntsman or Romney will be able to pull any significant number of swing voters - the others are just too extreme.

well, i see it like this:

1) He wouldn't get Conservative votes, as we are seeing in the primary.

2) His off-shoring past / China ties would bury him. Right now, that would be so incredibly toxic in an election. Regardless of if off-shoring is actually good/bad/neutral/none of the above, the US public thinks it is a big reason the US economy sucks. Obama would take full advantage of this.

3) Third. Not just the number in my list of reasons he can't win, put the place he would finish in the general election; behind Obama and whoever ran as a third party conservative.

In addition to the $2/gallon of gas claim, Bachmann apparently stated that if she becomes President there would no longer be 'czars' and she would not use teleprompters while in the White House. Gotta hand it to her. She is definitely addressing the major issues of today that affect all of us.

I wont say this article is 100% correct, but these are some of the reasons why I could never vote for Perry;

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/seven-w...-131634517.html

Going through the list:

1) I could live with.

2) Horrific idea, completely erodes the idea of checks and balances. The way to override a SC vote is an Amendment, which requires not only the legislature but people of the US to support it.

3) Not really sure the ramifications of this.

4) Personally disagree, although reasonable people could see differently on this one.

5) Good luck with this, Im sure everyone would love the US budget to always be balanced, it just isnt going to happen.

6) I cant support anyone who really believes this. I can live with marriage being a state right, but I can not live with the federal govt telling states who they can or can not marry.

7) Again cant support anyone who believes this. I could be persuaded to have abortion be a state right, but I cant be persuaded to allow the federal govt to tell states that they cant allow abortion.

The biggest problem I have with Perry is that he wants to vastly increase govt power when it comes to social areas, whereas I want to vastly decrease govt power in social areas. I do not think the govt has a right to tell a person how to live, as long as it does not hurt anyone else. Its simple utility, if me marrying a man doesnt hurt anyone, the govt has no right to stop me. Abortion you can at least argue that the fetus is being hurt.