Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
Like I said, I want someone that doesn't turn to fairy tales and mythology to fix the answers to tough problems. That's straight up lunacy.

So what are appropriate ways for someone to find ways to problems? I am still finding it curious that you believe thoughtful meditation and prayer are not useful tools. Perhaps you do not understand prayer. Which part of this do you object to

"Lord, this certainly is a fine mess you have trusted me with, but I have faith there is a solution, there is always a solution. I've been thinking about solutions and came up with these three. A causes this, B causes this, C causes this. . . ." Soon he arrives at what he'll do. Obviously you believe man is the mostly highly developed being and God is a myth. So basically a person at prayer would simply be analyzing a problem. Whether a person believes the answers were divinely inspired, or just of his own imagination, does not change the usefulness of the ideas. In fact, since you do not believe in a higher power, than the ideas that happen while in prayer are of the person's own making, same for everyone. I prefer good ideas no matter how the person arrives at them.

Is it ok to come up with an idea while walking? Taking a dump? Gardening? Eating hotdogs at a baseball game? Solutions to problems can pop into our minds at anytime. For some people meditating on a problem (praying), giving it careful and thoughtful consideration, is one tool they use. I guess some people always mock the unknown, and this is unknown to you.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:37 AM)
I guess some people always mock the unknown, and this is unknown to you.

You don't know me so stop suggesting that I know nothing about prayer and religion. I was raised Catholic and practiced for close to 20 years.

And last I checked, there is separation of church and state in this country. His heavy promotion of this event of prayer in front of US flags in a suit, presenting himself as a government official comes uncomfortably close to violating that principle. And I'm fine with him doing whatever he wants in the privacy of his home but using this as a tool for solving major problems is truly laughable to me. I don't recall the last time the CEO or senior team at my job asked me to join them in prayer groups at work in order to face the challenges of our organization. They get paid, like Governor Perry, to solve problems without magic.

It's funny how you keep sticking up for this supposed devout Christian. The same man perfectly fine with having an innocent man executed for political reasons. What a truly wonderful human being he must be.

And 90% or more of the people ok with his "call for prayer" would have serious issues if Obama or another politician had a call for prayer at a mosque.

Edited by BigSqwert

So, it's about time for one big nomination thread, considering we have stuff scattered in 5 of them. Left one thread in tact because that conversation had long since diverted from nomination talk, hopefully it works its way off the front page in time. Use this for all your 2012 Republican nomination news/talk.

I'll generally start my mega thread off with a politico discussion of the maps.

In the span of a single day, the GOP presidential nomination battle just got a lot messier—and, quite likely, a lot longer.

Saturday’s straw poll results in Iowa, coupled with Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s campaign kickoff in South Carolina, have suddenly upped the intensity of the 2012 campaign and left the GOP further than ever from settling on a nominee.

And as Perry and straw poll winner Michele Bachmann prepare to do battle with national front-runner Mitt Romney, some Republicans are girding for a lengthy nomination fight—something the GOP hasn’t seen in decades.

Rob Collins, the former American Action Network president who had been slated to run Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour’s campaign, said that the race was “more unsettled” than it was a mere week ago.

“Any candidate who can string together two or three wins in the first five states probably could wrap it quickly,” Collins said. “But it seems hard to see what campaign could do this right now.”

The core of the Republicans’ dilemma is geography. In past campaigns, one or a few candidates have positioned themselves to end the primary race rapidly by dominating several early primary states. But that’s an increasingly remote prospect in 2012, as the leading contenders plant their flags in disparate locations.

Bachmann’s straw poll performance confirmed that she’s the candidate to beat in Iowa’s leadoff caucuses. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, still holds a wide polling lead in New Hampshire and is a solid favorite in Nevada.

Perry, meanwhile, staked a strong claim to South Carolina’s often-decisive primary by announcing his campaign in Charleston, and he’s expected to have considerable regional and cultural appeal in the state.

All that raises the prospect of a primary race in which the early states turn into a kind of three-ring circus, and fail to designate one candidate as the heavy favorite for the nomination. That would turn the primary campaign into a long slog of the kind Democrats saw in 2008, with the surviving candidates scrambling for delegates state by state.

“One has to assume that Michele Bachmann is now the clear frontrunner for the Iowa caucus. The fact remains that Mitt Romney is the frontrunner in New Hampshire. Rick Perry laid down a marker that South Carolina is gonna be his state to win,” said New Hampshire-based strategist Mike Dennehy, who is unaffiliated in the 2012 race. “If we get through South Carolina, and each candidate has a victory in those three states, then the campaign’s gonna last quite a bit longer.”

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, making his maiden campaign swing in Iowa after jumping into the race for the Republican presidential nomination, suggested Monday night that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke would be committing an act of treason by printing more money between now and November 2012.

Responding to a question about the Federal Reserve at a campaign event in Cedar Rapids, Perry said: “If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don’t know what y’all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas. Printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion.”

Perry continued by saying that printing more money would be “devaluing the dollar in your pocket, and we cannot afford that. We have to learn the lessons of the past three years that they’ve been devastating. The president of the United States has conducted an experiment on the American economy for almost three years, and it has gone tragically wrong, and we need to send him a clear message in November 2012 that new leadership is coming.”

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
So why is this thread separate from the Republican thread? It is about our party's nominee afterall.

I think it's to specifically talk about the GOP contenders and eventual nominee.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I think it's to specifically talk about the GOP contenders and eventual nominee.

It is kind of waste because the majority of posts aren't from anyone who cares about the GOP. This is pretty much been another b**** about the Republicans thread.

Karl Rove:

"You don't accuse the chairman of the federal reserve of being a traitor to his country. Of being guilty of treason," Karl Rove told Fox News Tuesday. "And, suggesting that we treat him pretty ugly in texas. You know, that is not, again a presidential statement."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I'd much rather have it that way than this. Apparently the only reason this thread is here is for cheap shots.

I actually kind of like having a thread to discuss the candidates. No surpise that people in BOTH parties will mostly be posting negatives about any given candidate.

Honestly, this isn't even a left vs right thing. Other than my making a comment about Huntsman the other day, how many posts have you seen from ANYONE in this forum that speaks positively about any candidate yet?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
I actually kind of like having a thread to discuss the candidates. No surpise that people in BOTH parties will mostly be posting negatives about any given candidate.

Honestly, this isn't even a left vs right thing. Other than my making a comment about Huntsman the other day, how many posts have you seen from ANYONE in this forum that speaks positively about any candidate yet?

The problem is that the concentration of posts is negative, and it is almost all from the left wingers in this group. It makes the thread pointless, and intelligent conversation impossible, because the whole point is to poison the well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
The problem is that the concentration of posts is negative, and it is almost all from the left wingers in this group. It makes the thread pointless, and intelligent conversation impossible, because the whole point is to poison the well.

Then try to post something positive. Try to make good conversation. I tried, only to get shouted down by Republicans, when I was trying to say good things about a Republican candidate. So don't give us this victim stuff - it is an important topic that seems like it deserves a thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Then try to post something positive. Try to make good conversation. I tried, only to get shouted down by Republicans, when I was trying to say good things about a Republican candidate. So don't give us this victim stuff - it is an important topic that seems like it deserves a thread.

It absolutely deserves a thread. It doesn't deserve a left wing catbox, which is exactly what this is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
It absolutely deserves a thread. It doesn't deserve a left wing catbox, which is exactly what this is.

Rick Perry's statement that Ben Bernanke's actions have verged on treason is the #1 U.S. political story of the day on CNN's homepage right now. It's been reacted to by Karl Rove, who has an interest in one of the other candidates (although I'll admit I'm not sure which one). It's the top story in this race so far today. Is posting that "poisoning the well"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Rick Perry's statement that Ben Bernanke's actions have verged on treason is the #1 U.S. political story of the day on CNN's homepage right now. It's been reacted to by Karl Rove, who has an interest in one of the other candidates (although I'll admit I'm not sure which one). It's the top story in this race so far today. Is posting that "poisoning the well"?

Posting the story no, the follow-up comment, yes.