I blame ozzie

soxfan420

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
He's responsible for Pierre and the lack of Jim Thome. That's saying ALOT.

Not to mention, today's lineup had Vizquel in it too...part of Ozzie's brilliant plan.

The alternative was playing Nix or Teahen vs a lefty in Liriano? Not Ozzie's fault.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
Can't we try to switch Beckham and Ramirez?

You can hate on Ramirez mental lapses all you want but you have to face it the guy looks amazing there sometimes, thats more than likely the reason they elected to keep him there over Beckham

Beckham prolly doesnt make the same mistakes, but you might also not get the same plays

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
You can hate on Ramirez mental lapses all you want but you have to face it the guy looks amazing there sometimes, thats more than likely the reason they elected to keep him there over Beckham

He'd probably be great (at least very good) if it weren't for the mental lapses. The problem, though, is that he seems to be a real idiot. I don't mean that in the generic sense. I really think he's a very stupid person and that he can't be taught to focus more.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
He'd probably be great (at least very good) if it weren't for the mental lapses. The problem, though, is that he seems to be a real idiot. I don't mean that in the generic sense. I really think he's a very stupid person and that he can't be taught to focus more.

Well to be fair, there have been a lot of stupid people that have been very good at sports..

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
Well to be fair, there have been a lot of stupid people that have been very good at sports..

Definitely, but we've been seeing the same thing from Ramirez since he came here.

EDIT: You can tell that his lack of focus even wears on Hawk, which is saying something.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
Definitely, but we've been seeing the same thing from Ramirez since he came here.

And it may very well always be like that with him, and wont matter where he plays on the field..

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Oh too slow.

Anyways its early in the season but the mental mistakes and lack of solid plate approach, combined with some real questionable managing, have got me pretty disheartened about this season.

You know, I hate to bring it up, but what exactly is Greg Walker doing? Basically everyone but Beckham and Rios has a horrible approach at the plate. They're all lunging for pitching. Quentin did it multiple times, Jones did it, Pierre's been doing it. They're rolling over on everything on the outer half and grounding out weakly. And even when they're taking pitches, they're so far out in front. Sit back and shoot the ball the other way, it's not a very hard concept.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
You know, I hate to bring it up, but what exactly is Greg Walker doing? Basically everyone but Beckham and Rios has a horrible approach at the plate. They're all lunging for pitching. Quentin did it multiple times, Jones did it, Pierre's been doing it. They're rolling over on everything on the outer half and grounding out weakly. And even when they're taking pitches, they're so far out in front. Sit back and shoot the ball the other way, it's not a very hard concept.

I don't want to turn this into a Crucify Greg Walker Thread - already too many of those - but last year the management blamed the players for this kind of lack of focus/effort, and now there are a whole lot of new players, and the same crap is happening...

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Oh too slow.

Anyways its early in the season but the mental mistakes and lack of solid plate approach, combined with some real questionable managing, have got me pretty disheartened about this season.

The Sox are second in MLB in BB with 24. The approach hasn't been that bad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Nix hits the crap out of lefty's. Yeah, it's Ozzies fault.

.225/.303/.435/.738 doesn't exactly scream "hits the crap out of lefty's" but I stand corrected, I thought he was better vs RHP for some reason.

Either way, he's not very good either.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)

Just because they aren't swinging at bad pitches doesn't necessarily mean they aren't taking the right approach at the ones they are swinging at.. if that makes any sense..

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)

They've shown some good plate discipline overall, but if you wanna talk about skewed numbers, that would be it. Carmona accounts for 25% of those walks, and the majority of the rest is against the amazing Indians pitching staff.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)

The problem isn't getting on-base, it's what we do when we get on-base. We bunt, we don't hit, we run ourselves out of innings. Ozzieball is going to be the death of us.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Just because they aren't swinging at bad pitches doesn't necessarily mean they aren't taking the right approach at the ones they are swinging at.. if that makes any sense..

Exactly. It's nice to see them taking close pitches, but that only goes so far. When you're getting good pitches to hit and you're fouling them off or grounding out, something is wrong.

I've gotta say, despite his .200 average, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Rios. He's hitting the ball hard and being a lot more selective.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
The problem isn't getting on-base, it's what we do when we get on-base. We bunt, we don't hit, we run ourselves out of innings. Ozzieball is going to be the death of us.

.316 team OBP, 22nd in the MLB.

EDIT: That was through 3 games. Including tonight, .323 team OBP, last in the AL. .188 team average, also last in the AL.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
Exactly. It's nice to see them taking close pitches, but that only goes so far. When you're getting good pitches to hit and you're fouling them off or grounding out, something is wrong.

It seems like almost every good pitch they are getting is fouled off or grounded right to someone so far..