Jenks will Close again

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
he or AJ and Castro need to focus heavily on FBs, he is throwing hard and seemingly has good control over it, he gets in a ton of trouble with his offspeed stuff, either wild with it or hangs it, it would be more effective if he is pumping fastballs and throws the occasional offspeed

Yep. There needs to be an ultimaitum on what pitches he throws. In the best interest of everyone involved.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
He's the fattest he's ever been, and he's terrible. They keep saying he's losing weight each offseason, but he gets larger each year.

He looks the same to me. But the point is the same anyhow, if he did gain weight its not like it was 50lbs. He hasn't looked drastically different at any point, the only thing it affects is maybe some knee type problems, not his stuff.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
he or AJ and Castro need to focus heavily on FBs, he is throwing hard and seemingly has good control over it, he gets in a ton of trouble with his offspeed stuff, either wild with it or hangs it, it would be more effective if he is pumping fastballs and throws the occasional offspeed

Frankly, I totally disagree. That hook is his key pitch. If he's throwing fastball after fastball up there, guys gear up for it and hit it. He needs that destroyer curveball to put them away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Frankly, I totally disagree. That hook is his key pitch. If he's throwing fastball after fastball up there, guys gear up for it and hit it. He needs that destroyer curveball to put them away.

It seems to me like his cutter and slider (I have a hard time even telling if they are two different pitches sometimes, but I feel they are) are what get him in trouble. Just throw the straight gas by people, and use the curveball to keep them off balance. It's not brain surgery for Bobby when he's pitching well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
It seems to me like his cutter and slider (I have a hard time even telling if they are two different pitches sometimes, but I feel they are) are what get him in trouble. Just throw the straight gas by people, and use the curveball to keep them off balance. It's not brain surgery for Bobby when he's pitching well.

I agree that the Cutter/Slider can give him trouble, I think it was the curve that gave him trouble today though. THe HBP and the HR were both on Curves, I think.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)

He's a closer for crying out loud. All you need is 2 pitches. (See: Mariano Rivera)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)

I would agree with that if he had consistent control of it, which he doesn't. He and the catchers can't live in a perfect world where he has it like he had when he was going good, his FB is his best pitch right now and I think they need to stick with it a majority of the time, if the curve comes to him, great, work it in.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I would agree with that if he had consistent control of it, which he doesn't. He and the catchers can't live in a perfect world where he has it like he had when he was going good, his FB is his best pitch right now and I think they need to stick with it a majority of the time, if the curve comes to him, great, work it in.

He really doesn't need "consistent control" of the curve, he got tons of people out swinging on them when they bounced 2 feet in front of home plate. What he needs is people to be unable to sit back and wait for it.

I wonder if he isn't tipping that a bit.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
I have no problem with Jenks closing. He's throwing the ball real well right now. He's hitting the upper 90's and has 3 pitches for a closer. He hung a ball to Raburn. Today is the 1st time he's thrown a bad pitch in awhile. It's not like he's going out there and topping out at 90 with a rolling curve to go with it. He didn't have a good curve today, they should've just stuck with the heat and it likely would have been over.

What will it take some of you people to admit this guy sucks?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Jenks will close as long as he's on the roster. I've accepted this. If we win this division, it will be despite Ozzie. Not because of him.

No. Currently the White Sox are 1.1 games OVER their Pythagorean over/under. Arguably, Ozzie has them playing a bit over their heads. Conversely, the Twins are 3.4 games under. But keep thinking it's Ozzie's fault that his players fail when he gives them opportunities to succeed. I'm sure if Santos/Thornton/Putz whould have blew the game, you would have been sticking by Ozzie, right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
A blown save in game #163, probably. He's already single-handedly sabotaging our season as it is.

3 blown saves is sabotaging the season? I'm not defending Bobby here, I mean he has been pretty bad. But seriously, lets turn down the rhetoric down a tad.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
He looks the same to me. But the point is the same anyhow, if he did gain weight its not like it was 50lbs. He hasn't looked drastically different at any point, the only thing it affects is maybe some knee type problems, not his stuff.

He doesn't need to be getting more overweight, just staying overweight is a negative. People (myself included) always joke about how overweight people can succeed in baseball, but they really do age worse. Jenks is 29, which is on the tail end of the avergae player's peak age range (27-29, depending on who you ask). Once you factor in his less than ideal body type, it makes sense that he's falling off in terms of performance.

Edited by MattZakrowski

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
3 blown saves is sabotaging the season? I'm not defending Bobby here, I mean he has been pretty bad. But seriously, lets turn down the rhetoric down a tad.

Please keep in mind, the BS against the Twins went to Santos even though Jenks took the loss.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
No. Currently the White Sox are 1.1 games OVER their Pythagorean over/under. Arguably, Ozzie has them playing a bit over their heads. Conversely, the Twins are 3.4 games under. But keep thinking it's Ozzie's fault that his players fail when he gives them opportunities to succeed. I'm sure if Santos/Thornton/Putz whould have blew the game, you would have been sticking by Ozzie, right?

Ozzie doesn't have anybody playing over their heads. Outstanding starting pitching, a 3-week tear by CQ and a favorable schedule is how we got back in this. No manager that consistently runs Mark Kotsay out there as his everyday DH deserves credit. Would I be sticking by Ozzie if somebody other than Jenks blew the save? You obviously didn't see the thread I created a couple weeks ago. I've long soured on Ozzie Guillen. 2005 was exactly that. 2005. He's just not that good a manager.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)

3 blown saves in like 3 weeks? Yes. Sabotaging the season. What more do you guys need? Another blown save tomorrow or next week? We've got a f***ing 1 game lead and we have a closer that can't be trusted with a 2-3 run lead, let along a 1 run lead.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Ozzie doesn't have anybody playing over their heads. Outstanding starting pitching, a 3-week tear by CQ and a favorable schedule is how we got back in this. No manager that consistently runs Mark Kotsay out there as his everyday DH deserves credit. Would I be sticking by Ozzie if somebody other than Jenks blew the save? You obviously didn't see the thread I created a couple weeks ago. I've long soured on Ozzie Guillen. 2005 was exactly that. 2005. He's just not that good of manager.

3 blown saves in like 3 weeks? Yes. Sabotaging the season. What more do you guys need? Another blown save tomorrow or next week? We've got a f***ing 1 game lead and we have a closer that can't be trusted with a 2-3 run lead, let along a 1 run lead.

Those two points need emphasis. We are just barely winning this division, and that is due to a ridiculous stretch of great play. We can't afford to stick with a closer like Jenks. He can't even hold multiple-run leads.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
What will it take some of you people to admit this guy sucks?

Well said!

We all know what we see...it just takes guts to admit what we see is not good. Jenks is not the closer that strikes fear like Goose Gossage, Joe Nathan and numerous others past and present.

There's something wrong with the guy, that's obvious but I'm sure OG will stick with him cause that's what OG does. OG is a players manager so he'll coddle Jenks and try to get something out of him.

At what point do these blown save come back to haunt you???

Minnesota will be in it to the end, so we need a reliable closer!

The thing with Jenks is, if he's not the closer, he's basically pretty much useless. If you don't have confidence in him to get 3 outs at the end of the game with the bases empty, you can't possibly bring him with guys on base in the 7th or 8th like we do with Putz or Thornton. So he's either the closer or another Linebrink. The Sox are a much better team if Jenks can handle closing duties so I can't blame Ozzie for sticking with him.

I'm interested to see what Sale can provide us for the stretch run.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
The thing with Jenks is, if he's not the closer, he's basically pretty much useless. If you don't have confidence in him to get 3 outs at the end of the game with the bases empty, you can't possibly bring him with guys on base in the 7th or 8th like we do with Putz or Thornton. So he's either the closer or another Linebrink. The Sox are a much better team if Jenks can handle closing duties so I can't blame Ozzie for sticking with him.

I'm interested to see what Sale can provide us for the stretch run.

OK, I keep seeing this. How many non-closing innings has Jenks pitched since he became the closer? I can't recall very many (unless it was just garbage time and he was given the ball to give him some use).

I don't buy for a second that he's useless as anything but a closer, or that we should leave him as closer because of this logic.