How do you say "OPS" out loud?

lostfan

I know it's kind of a silly question but I'm curious since in regular offline conversations I don't usually talk to people in much depth about baseball stats. In my head I read it as a word that rhymes with "cops." Also when I see OBP I say out loud "on-base percentage" and not the three letters. I was watching a broadcast of a game and the announcer made reference to it which was a pleasant surprise since they usually don't reference advanced stats, even OPS, and OPS and WHIP are probably the easiest to understand. Anyway the announcer said the three letters O-P-S. The second time he said it he said "on base plus slugging." Do most people just say it as a word, like I do?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
I know it's kind of a silly question but I'm curious since in regular offline conversations I don't usually talk to people in much depth about baseball stats. In my head I read it as a word that rhymes with "cops." Also when I see OBP I say out loud "on-base percentage" and not the three letters. I was watching a broadcast of a game and the announcer made reference to it which was a pleasant surprise since they usually don't reference advanced stats, even OPS, and OPS and WHIP are probably the easiest to understand. Anyway the announcer said the three letters O-P-S. The second time he said it he said "on base plus slugging." Do most people just say it as a word, like I do?

I always say OPS, as in the three letters. Same with OBP, but for SLG, I just say slugging or slugging%.

As for the even more advanced stuff, I'll say stuff like UZR, cause that sounds like the three letters stand for something. For things like wOBA and WAR, I say the whole word out.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
I always say OPS, as in the three letters. Same with OBP, but for SLG, I just say slugging or slugging%.

As for the even more advanced stuff, I'll say stuff like UZR, cause that sounds like the three letters stand for something. For things like wOBA and WAR, I say the whole word out.

For SLG I say "he slugs .518" or what have you.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
I say:

"o-p-s"

"o-b-p"

"era" as a word.

"slug" for SLG.

"average" for avg

"war" for WAR.

and whenever I see UZR, I can't help but read it as "user" or something like that.

How do you pronounce that? I always thought everyone said "E-R-A". I have never heard anyone say it as a word.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
How do you pronounce that? I always thought everyone said "E-R-A". I have never heard anyone say it as a word.

lol, I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard someone say it as in the phrase "This is the end of an era". I mean, when I was a kid it confused me, but now I know the difference.

I just can't seem to grasp how this sounds right..."His war is 3.0..."

Now if you say he was worth 3 wins or 3 wins above the replacement player, that seems to give people a better understanding of what you're trying to say.

I've also heard people say things like, "He's OPSing .856". That just makes it sound like that guy has some weird condition going on or is on some type of weird menstrual cycle for men.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 03:15 AM)
I just can't seem to grasp how this sounds right..."His war is 3.0..."

Now if you say he was worth 3 wins or 3 wins above the replacement player, that seems to give people a better understanding of what you're trying to say.

I've also heard people say things like, "He's OPSing .856". That just makes it sound like that guy has some weird condition going on or is on some type of weird menstrual cycle for men.

I've never said WAR out loud, it's occurred to me just now. I read it as the word it spells which I guess sounds kind of odd but I just do since it does spell out a word. I do the same with WHIP but not ERA. Maybe cuz that's one of the stats I've known since I was a little kid and I hear the announcers say it all the time.

All the other stuff, except OPS, I read as three letters except OBP which for some reason I read as "on-base percentage" like everyone does with "AVG."

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)

All of this, except I say On Base Percentage (not OBP).