Olivo irked

KipWellsFan

from chisox.com

Behind the plate: From the look of Miguel Olivo sprawled out on the ground, grabbing his right shoulder, the injury suffered by the young catcher Tuesday night could have been worse. The White Sox were trying to find out Wednesday morning if that indeed was the case.

Olivo was taken in for further examination on a sore right shoulder, suffered when he tripped over catcher Brent Mayne's leg while scoring on a single to center in the second. Olivo's luck has been bad when dealing with Royals catchers this season. He got into a brief shouting match with Mike DiFelice late in a game last week at Kauffman Stadium.

But Olivo was a little more upset about Mayne's perceived tactics Tuesday than DiFelice's profane words.

"He didn't have to block the plate because he didn't have the ball," Olivo said of the semi-collision with Mayne. "I almost broke my arm. Luckily, I took everything around the shoulder."

If Olivo's injury gets downgraded from the current day-to-day status, Sandy Alomar would take over the starting catcher's position. The White Sox could turn to Michael Rivera, hitting .318 in 43 games for Triple-A Charlotte, or Jamie Burke, who hit his fifth home run and drove in run No. 41 Tuesday for the Knights, for help off the bench.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cha

I'm not happy he got hurt, but I have to admit I'm somewhat relieved that Olivo isn't playing. Outside of his arm, I don't see any other advantage to having him in there over Sandy. Sandy can actually hit a breaking ball, and Sandy doesn't twice call for high inside 0-2 pitches.

I realize Sandy's old and can't play every day, but every game from here on out is big, and I'd rather see Sandy's bat and experience in the lineup than Olivo's arm.

You gotta have two catchers and I like the balance we have at that position. Either way I think we have had solid major league catching most of the season. I do like Sandy's experience when we get down to that final week or two of the season.