6/18 Sox @ D-Backs 7:10 PM, WGN

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Best short-term fix would be to send Morel down, platoon Lillibridge and Teahen at third, Viciedo up and bench Pierre. It's so simple that the only thing preventing it is this outfit's incredible arrogance.

That's um, teh exact opposite of simple. Lillibridge has never played 3rd, and Teahen has never played 3rd well. Morel has been hitting well since the start of May, and has taken time to grow in at every step in the org. PLus, he's playing plus defense already, while Teahen would play at best bad defense there.

I think calling that 3b proposal "Simple" is pretty arrogant myself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
That's um, teh exact opposite of simple. Lillibridge has never played 3rd, and Teahen has never played 3rd well. Morel has been hitting well since the start of May, and has taken time to grow in at every step in the org. PLus, he's playing plus defense already, while Teahen would play at best bad defense there.

When we're having trouble scoring runs, and Morel doesn't even have gap power, it's not the worst suggestion. Just because Lillipad hasn't played 3B doesn't mean he wouldn't play it decent to well. A lot of people thought he'd suck in the outfield and he's been fantastic out there.

I'd be all for it personally, anything to get more pop in the lineup.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
When we're having trouble scoring runs, and Morel doesn't even have gap power, it's not the worst suggestion. Just because Lillipad hasn't played 3B doesn't mean he wouldn't play it decent to well. A lot of people thought he'd suck in the outfield and he's been fantastic out there.

I'd be all for it personally, anything to get more pop in the lineup.

1. A little more pop doesn't help you if you can't field the ball. If you haven't seen Morel doing the job at 3b you haven't been paying attention.

2. Mark Teahen's .577 OPS is not "a little more pop" in the lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

Simply, this offense isn't good enough to carry Morel's glove.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
1. A little more pop doesn't help you if you can't field the ball. If you haven't seen Morel doing the job at 3b you haven't been paying attention.

2. Mark Teahen's .577 OPS is not "a little more pop" in the lineup.

morel/Pierre back-to-back combo has hurt this offense all year in case you haven't been paying attention.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
morel/Pierre back-to-back combo has hurt this offense all year in case you haven't been paying attention.

And crappy defense has hurt this team all year in case you haven't been paying attention. About the only good spot has been the infield.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
And crappy defense has hurt this team all year in case you haven't been paying attention. About the only good spot has been the infield.

And where has this good infield defense gotten them? .465 ball.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I actually like this lineup. Morel makes contact so that should be good if Lilli can get on in front of him. Also putting Lexi in an RBI slot should help. And no Pierre is a nice change as well.

I like this lineup too. Let's hope they do well today....they should.

Well, there's no "easy" solution but it most assuredly doesn't involve Teahen at 3B.

Doesn't anyone remember last year when Vizquel over there changed the entire composition of the infield almost single-handedly. Heck, Ramirez played the best defense of his career with Omar to his right. You can't blame Morel for Alexei's errors this year, but it's hard to overstate the importance of good defense in the infield for the majority of our "contact" pitchers.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
Gotta have good defense to win, that's my gripe about Lexi, he is super flashy and makes to many mental mistakes, those are the ones that kill you

He hasn't done many of those recently, despite starting slow in the field.