6/18 Sox @ D-Backs 7:10 PM, WGN

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Because they wouldn't be able to justify it to their customers so their customers wouldn't pay the price. Its one thing to say to your fanbase, we raised payroll $25 million so we need to raise ticket prices. It wouldn't go over too well with the customers to clear $80 million in ticket sales alone and have a payroll of $30 million. Its probably the biggest reason JR has had his lackies say the Sox break even every year.

The owners would say they broke even even if they pulled in $90 million a year.

If the ballpark is sold out for some fraction of my games, then ticket prices for those games aren't high enough. Supply and demand.

MLB is also doing a stellar job of developing new revenue streams, like the extra innings package I'm watching.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
The Knicks are screwing ticketholders because there is demand for those tickets

Comparing this to wall street is just nuts. No one is using baseball tickets to hide losses or betting 100x on the future price of tickets.

Many of the people they sent invoices to are cancelling, some have had their seats over 30 years. Salaries cannot continue to go up if you expect the paying customers to foot the bill. I don't think televison ratings have been particularly stellar with Fox.

Rios with a homer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Many of the people they sent invoices to are cancelling, some have had their seats over 30 years. Salaries cannot continue to go up if you expect the paying customers to foot the bill. I don't think televison ratings have been particularly stellar with Fox.

Rios with a homer.

Why does it matter if long term seat holders cancel their rivets if they have replacements for most? That's a huge revenue increase.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)

Rios with a homer.

I think I read somewhere that we were in the bottom 5.

Still, because of the larger base of media customers in Chicago...it's not completely bleak. They just have to start winning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
The owners would say they broke even even if they pulled in $90 million a year.

If the ballpark is sold out for some fraction of my games, then ticket prices for those games aren't high enough. Supply and demand.

MLB is also doing a stellar job of developing new revenue streams, like the extra innings package I'm watching.

Then they have no reason to raise ticket prices every year. We will agree to disagree because I think guys like Alex Rios, even if he were halfway decent, making $12 million a year, is silly. Seriously, $12 million is a lot of money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)

Rios with a homer.

Oh, and Fox revenues pale in comparison to the local cable tv and radio revenues these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Then they have no reason to raise ticket prices every year. We will agree to disagree because I think guys like Alex Rios, even if he were halfway decent, making $12 million a year, is silly. Seriously, $12 million is a lot of money.

If you can sell something for more, you do it. Or did capitalism end?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Why does it matter if long term seat holders cancel their rivets if they have replacements for most? That's a huge revenue increase.

Did the Knicks just have a few thousand people call and say they were willing to pay $700 a seat to watch them next year? They did it because they thought many of the people who have been around for 30 years won't cancel no matter what.

Ask the Yankees how the ridiculous pricing worked when they moved into their new park.

They lowered the prices the next season. After they won the WS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

The other problem is you're losing those potential generations of future fans...going to baseball games is a habit, the shared memories of going with your father or grandfather to the game. Once you lose a loyal customer after so many years, it's 10X harder to get them back in the fold.

If you give up your tickets...a lot of people are finding new hobbies and interests, or they're simply just trying to survive financially. Just not as much time for sports/entertainment spending.