All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 03:51 AM)
Juan Agudelo - any thoughts on this guy?

Just saw a story there that a move to Celtic might be on the cards. Any read on what this young lad is like?

Talented, but not mature yet. I don't think he's good enough for Celtic at this point in his career, but he certainly will be at some point. With the lack of competition in the SPL he can fit in and get some minutes while they train him up (in theory).

Going to Celtic right now is going to stunt his development.

When are young American players going to realize its not in their best interest to jump to a major club right away. Playing time is much more important than riding the bench and being on a well known club.

Unless he is for sure going to be playing 60 minutes a match, why even go to the Scottish league?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
Going to Celtic right now is going to stunt his development.

When are young American players going to realize its not in their best interest to jump to a major club right away. Playing time is much more important than riding the bench and being on a well known club.

Unless he is for sure going to be playing 60 minutes a match, why even go to the Scottish league?

Difference there is that Celtic can integrate him during SPL matches since the only other decent club at the moment without Rangers is Hibernian (Aberdeen and Hearts are alright). Celtic wouldn't play him in European comps but he'd get time in domestic league and cup play. Agudelo moving to the EPL/DEL/La Lgia etc at this point would be foolish, but this could be a decent situation.

• 2 weeks later...

(Thanks for the feedback about Juan Agudelo above. Didn't mean to be an ignorant b@st@rd by not ackowledging it)

A fantastic week - qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League. Absolutely over the moon. To think, if we'd hung on for a few seconds longer in the Camp Nou, we could've topped a group with Barcelona in it! It's been a roller-coaster. No-one gave us a chance, including me to be honest, of achieving what we have. Very proud of the Club and the team.

Good win today back in SPL action away to Kilmarnock.

Fantastic bus trip for the game on Wednesday too - hardcore!! Only back to normal from it today! :D

Just praying the fixtures for the next CL round fall favourably for me - wife due on 28th January. The later in February they're fixed, the better. :pray

Good for Juan. It's probably the kind of move only Celtic can make. They can give him minutes during SPL matches and hope he develops enough so they can use him as a sub in the Champs. League. My expectations are minimal for him until he matures mentally.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 06:16 AM)
Celtic got Juventus in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Tough enough draw but, at this stage, whoever we got was going to be a big challenge.

Some cracking match-ups in this round, actually.

Yeah, Milan-Barca, Man U - Madrid and Valencia-PSG should be fun

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Yeah, Milan-Barca, Man U - Madrid and Valencia-PSG should be fun

Yes. Really looking forward to some good games.

Actually, I don't think there's a single bad fixture in there:

Round of 16 Matches

1. Galatasaray A.S. (TUR) - FC Schalke 04 (GER)

2. Celtic FC (SCO) - Juventus (ITA)

3. Arsenal FC (ENG) - FC Bayern München (GER)

4. FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) - Borussia Dortmund (GER)

5. AC Milan (ITA) - FC Barcelona (ESP)

6. Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Manchester United FC (ENG)

7. Valencia CF (ESP) - Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

8. FC Porto (POR) - Málaga CF (ESP)

Galatasaray - Schalke should be tasty enough, I reckon.

We had discussed Seattle/Portland as WCQ hosts:

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl 1dUS Soccer now willing to stage WCQs on temporary grass. Seattle & Portland could host June games, but concert/UW graduation may prevent it.

Best temporary grass fields need time to take root, hence concerns over concert/graduation at Seattle's C-Link Field before June Hex date.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
I know the US qualifying group is easy talent-wise, but how many other countries have to deal with this?

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl US State Department considers San Pedro Sula (host of Honduras-USA WCQ) "world's most violent city." Can't wait.

Not many which what makes CONCACAF so difficult to get a result while on the road.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
I know the US qualifying group is easy talent-wise, but how many other countries have to deal with this?

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl US State Department considers San Pedro Sula (host of Honduras-USA WCQ) "world's most violent city." Can't wait.

Yup. Passed Juarez for most murders/100,000 people. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpo...BGpvP_blog.html

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

Yeah, the Euro snobs don't get just how difficult it is for a non-latin country to go in to Central America and get a result.

However, going to places in certain African/Middle East/SE Asia countries, as well as the Balkans and Caucauses, are probably just as daunting/unnerving for visiting nations

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
He and Gonzalez both should be cap tied in this game I would think.

I would be surprised to see Gonzalez get a cap on Wednesday. I assume the starting pairing is still Cameron-Boca in the center. Experimenting with Cameron-Gonzalez or Gonzalez-Boca in Honduras would be... an aggressive way to start qualifying. Now that Gonzalez is getting called in, I don't think there is much risk of Mexico stealing him (knock on wood). Chandler will certainly get the start without Cherundolo healthy though.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
I would be surprised to see Gonzalez get a cap on Wednesday. I assume the starting pairing is still Cameron-Boca in the center. Experimenting with Cameron-Gonzalez or Gonzalez-Boca in Honduras would be... an aggressive way to start qualifying. Now that Gonzalez is getting called in, I don't think there is much risk of Mexico stealing him (knock on wood). Chandler will certainly get the start without Cherundolo healthy though.

If Boca isn't 100% I could see him not playing the whole game. I'm sure Gonzalez won't be starting