2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
For some reason, Jeremy Dowdy is being promoted to Winston-Salem.

Could be because he is hitting .412 ! :notworthy Sure hate to see him leave so soon! We are stringing together some wins right now!

Edited by floridafan

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
ah, OK, so it is an age eligibility thing. That makes some sense, thanks.

Ha that answer seemed so obvious to me that I didn't just say that. I guess that explains why none of the answers seem to clue you in on what you were confused about.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Ha that answer seemed so obvious to me that I didn't just say that. I guess that explains why none of the answers seem to clue you in on what you were confused about.

Yeah, apparently I somehow missed the key element when I read about the new rules. Or I forgot. Either way, my bad. Sorry fathom, for being a little obnoxious.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
For some reason, Jeremy Dowdy is being promoted to Winston-Salem.

Saw his stats at Rookie League. 21 years old, don't know where we got him? Anyone know?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Saw his stats at Rookie League. 21 years old, don't know where we got him? Anyone know?

NDFA out of Appalachian State.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/Sports/sto...ation-id-008136

Dowdy signs with White Sox organization

Former Appalachian State catcher Jeremy Dowdy signed a free-agent contract with the Chicago White Sox and will likely begin his professional career in nearby Bristol, Va. with the rookie-level Bristol White Sox of the Appalachian League.

Dowdy is one of only three players in Appalachian State history to play in 200 games as a Mountaineer. The 6-3, 215-pounder finished his collegiate career ranked among the program's all-time top 10 with 203 games played, 198 starts, 732 at-bats, 43 doubles, 127 RBI and 86 walks and signed with the White Sox shortly after last week's 40-round Major League Baseball Draft.

Edited by scenario

Heidenreich promoted to Birmingham, Buch to Winston-Salem, J.R. Ballinger to Charlotte. B'ham was at 24 active, but Charlotte needs to make a corresponding move. Crain goes on the DL, Heath gets promoted to Chicago.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
Heidenreich becomes the youngest Baron by a year and a half. The lack of strikeouts make me doubt he's a big prospect, but age vs. level will flatter him if he holds his own.

That average age is dropping. Hahaha

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Scott Olsen was released. Didn't realize that 5 innings was enough to evaluate the long term.

Either that or being a complete asshole to your teammates when you aren't that good.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Scott Olsen was released. Didn't realize that 5 innings was enough to evaluate the long term.

It's possible they decided he was fully healthy and his fastball wasn't hitting high enough or something. It's very likely his stuff hasn't recovered from his injury and the Sox reasoned that it wouldn't.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
It's possible they decided he was fully healthy and his fastball wasn't hitting high enough or something. It's very likely his stuff hasn't recovered from his injury and the Sox reasoned that it wouldn't.

Wasn't it Tommy John? Anyway, I'd have given him a few weeks, 4 innings at AAA just doesn't seem enough to me unless he had been throwing a lot before he was activated from the DL. Especially since he had been on the DL the entire season. That's just me though.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
4 innings at AAA just doesn't seem enough to me unless he had been throwing a lot before he was activated from the DL.

I'd bet he did though. They probably knew what they had since they were following his progress through most of the recovery.

Just finished watching the Future Games: Carlos Sanchez made an impression. Hit a double off Jameson Tailion and made 2 nice plays at 3b. His natural position is 2b, but shows nice flexibility to play multiple positions in the infield. Has a really nice level swing. Definitely will be moving up the rankings for the White Sox.

QUOTE (BriSox28 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
He left the team to take care of his kid

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
Ugh. There can't be many things worse than that.

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully his kid gets better, whatever it is that might be wrong with him/her.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/0...ks-in-2011.html

White Sox’s top 3 picks in 2011 don’t expect easy path

Intimidators players know they have to earn promotions

By Joe Habina

Speedy outfielder Keenyn Walker overcame a slow start this season to put together a 10-game string in May and June during which he batted .333 and stole 10 bases in 11 attempts. Then an injury sidelined him until June 28.

Keenyn Walker, Erik Johnson and Jeff Soptic have a lot going for them when it comes to professional baseball. But none of the three Kannapolis Intimidators players can say the 2012 season has gone entirely as planned.

Walker recently returned to action after a two-week stint on the disabled list because of a freak injury. Soptic overcame a rough spring training, in which he was having difficulty controlling his pitches. Like Soptic, Johnson spent a couple of months in extended spring training before being assigned to Kannapolis in June.

The Chicago White Sox have a lot invested in these three farmhands: Walker, Johnson and Soptic were the team’s top three selections in the 2011 First Year Player Draft. But they know they have to earn promotions up the organizational ladder, just like anybody else.

Walker, a junior college all-American at Central Arizona, was the 47th player selected overall when the White Sox made him a “sandwich pick” between the first and second rounds of last year’s draft. He spent three-fourths of his 2011 season in Kannapolis, Chicago’s Class A affiliate in the South Atlantic League.

A speedy outfielder who has been deemed the White Sox’s sixth-best minor league prospect by Baseball America, Walker batted .257 between Kannapolis and rookie-level Great Falls(Mont.) in 2011.

He overcame his slow start this season to put together a 10-game string in May and June in which he batted .333 and stole 10 bases in 11 attempts. Then a chance meeting with a Hagerstown Suns first baseman June 8 led to a partially torn meniscus and a bone bruise in his right leg.

“It was a freak accident,” Walker said. “I wasn’t expecting it at all. I felt good and healthy, and that happened and put me out a couple weeks. As soon as I planted on the base, me and the first baseman hit shoulder to shoulder. My leg was already planted, and my body rotated.”

Walker spent two weeks resting his leg, passing the time during games in the Intimidators bullpen, chatting with the team’s relief pitchers. He returned to action June 28.

One of the relievers sharing some bullpen chatter with Walker was Soptic, a third-round pick out of Johnson County (Kan.) Community College. A 6-foot-6, 210-pound flamethrower, Soptic earlier had been picked deep in the 2009 draft out of high school by the Kansas City Royals, his hometown team.

“I had a lot of developing to do,” Soptic said. “It being the 43rd round, I figured I could work my way up to a lower round. I figured a junior college would be the best choice to be drafted the next year or after my sophomore year.”

Capable of throwing more than 100 mph, Soptic spent part of spring training gaining control of his slider and changeup. Before a disastrous outing June 29 against Rome (Ga.), he had allowed only five hits in 11 innings over eight appearances.

Except for a rough outing at Hagerstown on June 7, fellow pitcher Johnson has been almost unhittable. Starting with his Intimidators debut June 2, Johnson has pitched shutout ball in three of his other four starts.

Only a year ago, he helped pitch California to its first College World Series appearance since 1992. In the same month, the White Sox picked him in the second round.

The three high draft picks are resigned that their past achievements and their draft status will mean nothing if they don’t produce.

“We were the top three picks, but we’re really unique in our own stature,” Johnson said. “It’s nice to play with these guys and the other talent. You can’t just look at the top three picks. We have a whole clubhouse of guys who come out ready to play every day.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/0...l#storylink=cpy