2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

I see Olacio on Bristol's roster. Probably a good idea to put him at a more age appropriate level. To be honest, he surpassed my expectations of him as an 18 year old in Kanny for his US debut. Sure he walked a ton of people, but the K rate remained and he held his own to some extent. Now let's see if he can dominate in a league that's closer to his age/experience level.

Also, I just finished going through the rookie ball rosters and finding out who all has been released over the last year. The one name unaccounted for is Cody Winiarski. He put up dominant numbers last year for Great Falls' bullpen. Is he hurt or something?

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm extremely interested in how Conor Jackson is playing defense at 3B. He has a reputation as a terrible defender at both first and OF, if he's somehow improved and can play a viable 3B that could make him immensely valuable to us. The guy has swung the bat pretty well in the MLB before. Not great for a 1B, but certainly okay for a 3B

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Kannapolis Intimidators

ROSTER MOVE: Blair Walters has been promoted to Winston-Salem Dash! Official Press Release >>

Spencer Arroyo to AA as well. The Barons needed a starter, though I'm not sure Arroyo will do well in AA.

http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2012/06/22/an...le-a-promotion/

Another Day, Another Double-A Promotion

Jake Oester is heading to Double-A for the second time in as many years (Steve Orcutt/W-S Dash).

One day after “Transaction Thursday,” during which the Dash had six roster moves, Winston-Salem lost another player to Double-A Birmingham Friday afternoon. Infielder Jake Oester is heading to the Southern League for the second time in his career.

Oester is hitting .252 with a homer and 13 RBI in 34 games with the Dash. He is primarily a third baseman but can also play at second.

A year ago, Oester played in 49 games with the Barons, hitting at a .216 clip with 14 RBI and 11 runs scored. A free agent signing prior to the 2010 season, Oester comes from a baseball background. His father Ron played with the Cincinnati Reds for 13 seasons (1978-90).

Winston-Salem’s roster currently sits at 24 players, and the club has five infielders. The Dash continue their three-game series at Potomac tonight at 7:05. Pre-game coverage kicks off at 6:50 here.

Jon Gaston got released so Oester took his spot. A lot of odd shuffling going on in the minors. Walters to Winston-Salem and Rienzo to AA were notable promotions, but I think there are a few more in the works soon. The rosters don't look all that settled to me.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
Jon Gaston got released so Oester took his spot. A lot of odd shuffling going on in the minors. Walters to Winston-Salem and Rienzo to AA were notable promotions, but I think there are a few more in the works soon. The rosters don't look all that settled to me.

I'd imagine we'll see an outfield parade soon, with JorDanks looking permanent in Chicago and Fuku gone. Mitchell might move up, but we'll see. Earley or Shoemaker then goes up to B-Ham, Haddow to W-S, and that opens up a spot in Kanny for someone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Mitchell might move up, but we'll see. Earley or Shoemaker then goes up to B-Ham, Haddow to W-S, and that opens up a spot in Kanny for someone.

I'd rather not see Mitchell move up. He's only hitting .269. He's got nice numbers, but given what he's gone through emotionally and physically with that injury let him have success instead of promoting him to the point of (temporary) incompetence. Let him enjoy some success. He can be in AAA next year or have a shot at the big league club out of spring training next year.

Corey Smith got released from Birmingham. Pedro Hernandez is listed as the starter for Monday's Barons game, I imagine he'll be activated by then. Charlotte is at 24 active, Birmingham has 23 active and W-S has 24.

Link

Edited by JPN366

I gotta laugh at the inept Top Ten Prospect list on the Sox Web site. Three of the top ten have been on the Sox roster since late last year (Reed, Escobar, Flowers), one has been injured all year (Short), a couple others have struggled this year. Maybe they'll update it at mid season. This is not an indictment of the ten players listed, but rather it is so out of date. Looking forward the FutureSox list soon (I hope).

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
I hope they move up Sanchez, who has to be one of our top prospects.

I really don't see any reason to. He'll be 20 at the start of next season. Let him start next year at AA and he'll still be amongst the youngest in the league. I'm more than fine with that being the plan. Nothing wrong with him spending a full year at A+, especially when he hasn't shown much power yet.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
I gotta laugh at the inept Top Ten Prospect list on the Sox Web site. Three of the top ten have been on the Sox roster since late last year (Reed, Escobar, Flowers), one has been injured all year (Short), a couple others have struggled this year. Maybe they'll update it at mid season. This is not an indictment of the ten players listed, but rather it is so out of date. Looking forward the FutureSox list soon (I hope).

Whoever makes their lists has no concept of prospect rankings. The FS one is in the works.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
I really don't see any reason to. He'll be 20 at the start of next season. Let him start next year at AA and he'll still be amongst the youngest in the league. I'm more than fine with that being the plan. Nothing wrong with him spending a full year at A+, especially when he hasn't shown much power yet.

Right out of the Mike Trout/Bryce Harper School of Player Development......Yes, they have much more power, I admit, but for all I know Sanchez will never be a power guy, so that shouldn't be part of the equation. It's not like we are loaded with middle infield prospects in the high minors. If we are lucky to get a really special young player, we should push him along. Of course, now that I have gone out on the limb, he'll prob go into a tailspin, but so far he has accomplished everything asked of him. We can all scout him in the Futures All Star Game next month.

http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2012/06/26/da...ne-promote-two/

Dash Add One, Promote Two

The White Sox made three roster moves affecting the Dash Tuesday. Nick McCully was promoted to Double-A Birmingham, Kyle Shelton was sent back to Triple-A Charlotte, and Kannapolis infielder David Herbek moved up to the Dash. Both McCully and Herbek advance to a new level in minor league baseball for the first time, while Shelton is back with Charlotte after spending a brief stint with the Dash for the second time this season.

Nick McCully earned his first promotion to the Double-A level (Steve Orcutt/W-S Dash).

McCully’s departure continues the exodus of talented arms from the Dash bullpen as he joins fellow relievers Leroy Hunt and Kyle Bellamy in Birmingham. McCully made 24 relief appearances for Winston-Salem and compiled a 4-3 record with a 2.89 ERA. He also converted five of his seven save opportunities.

This is McCully’s second year in the White Sox organization after being signed before the 2011 season. The St. Louis Cardinals drafted McCully in the ninth round of the 2009 draft and used him as a starting pitcher, but he was released after the 2010 season. Chicago’s idea to turn McCully into a reliever seems to have paid off.

Shelton played in one game for the Dash in his second stint with the team. He started at third on June 22 against Potomac and finished the night 1-for-3. The versatile Shelton, who can play almost every position in the field, took a few reps behind the plate as a catcher before batting practice on Monday.

Herbek joins the Dash after playing 43 games with Kannapolis this season. He batted .214 with 31 hits, nine RBI and 28 runs. Herbek was drafted in the 15th round of the 2011 MLB Draft out of James Madison University and spent last season playing for rookie-level Great Falls. Herbek hit .262 in 70 games and led the team in runs scored (52) and doubles (19). Baseball America also ranked him as the best defensive player in the White Sox 2011 draft class.

The Dash continue to lose pieces from their first-half Southern Division title, but such is the double-edged sword of minor league teams: good teams are going to lose their good players. With young talent in Kannapolis and the 2012 draft picks beginning their journey through the minors, Winston-Salem should be fine moving forward as the second half progresses.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
The Herbek promotion is a little strange. He's a middle infielder, and Sanchez and Semien are at those positions in W-S. Plus Herbek just wasn't hitting well at all.

The only thing that made sense to me, is maybe someone has a tweek and needs a couple of days off.

Nestor Molina has been placed on the Barons' DL. Stephen McCray moved up from Winston-Salem.

Without any other corresponding moves the Dash have just 11 pitchers and Kannapolis has just 11 position players after Herbek's promotion. Bill Rice was recently activated for Kannapolis, but I assume they'll add an infielder shortly. My guess would be that sometime soon DeMichele gets moved up, but that's a total guess.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Nestor Molina has been placed on the Barons' DL. Stephen McCray moved up from Winston-Salem.

Without any other corresponding moves the Dash have just 11 pitchers and Kannapolis has just 11 position players after Herbek's promotion. Bill Rice was recently activated for Kannapolis, but I assume they'll add an infielder shortly. My guess would be that sometime soon DeMichele gets moved up, but that's a total guess.

Any idea what for? I'd be curious if this is something something that has been nagging him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)

This is good news, in a way. I'm going to drink the kool-aid and assume his injury has everything to do with the horrid BAA. :drink