2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been banging this Legowelt early 90s rap mix for the last few days and love it. A bunch of obscure stuff from Memphis.

Here's his description:

Summer is coming so I made a little mix with my favorite 90s Memphis rap trax - one of

the greatest music genres in history especially during its golden days circa 1993-1994 -

Think over the top OMINOUS John Carpenter basslines, more tape smudge

and obscurity then all minimal wave records in history, enchanting inspiring melodies and

pure unadulterated poetry. More then 50 minutes of the most obscure best Memphis Rap songs

all mixed to perfection to play LOUD in your car -> cruising in your neighborhood while u laugh and

smirf at all the pedestrian jock bro mediocrity moving past you

Can be found on his homepage by scrolling down a bit.

Watching a stream of Red Hot Chili Peppers @ Bonnaroo- Apart from Foo Fighters, I don't think there is another band that I like and dislike to this extent at the same time. It's weird.

Also, the loss of John Frusciante (again) is really, really bad for the relevance of this band going forward, so make him an offer he can't refuse to bring him back or something. When you look past the era of EV Halen/Joe Perry/Slash, he's one of the better modern guitarists. The dude hired to replace him- notsomuch. It's like Ozzy replacing Zakk Wylde with Joe Holmes as a touring guitarist.

There's nothing worse than when a guitarist replaces another one who wasa big part of the band for a long long time and plays parts that the departed guitarist crafted and wrote himself. Gun 'N Roses and Slash is a good example of this. Slash's replacement plays a lot of Slash's material better than Slash does from a technical standpoint. It sounds cold and has no feel- I would rather imagine Slash's playing than hearing someone plagiarize it.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Radiohead was good.

Im not their biggest fan, but they did play both songs that I wanted to hear (Karma Police and Reckoner), they played a lot from In Rainbows which I was a fan of.

Something new from their setlist:

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
I think I'm the only person in the world that has Pablo Honey > The rest of their catalog.

Haha probably. I don't hate on Pablo Honey as much as most people, but The Bends is definitely my favorite album. It's an absolutely fantastic record.

Today, I bought "Tim"* on vinyl at the record store the Replacements hung out at and their manager owned. Awesome.

*They were out of Let it Be or else I would have gotten that. Tim's my second favorite though. It's their first major label album, and I think the commercial reception was only lukewarm. It's got some great songs on it -- Waitress in the Sky, Swingin Party, Bastards of Young, Left of the Dial, Here Comes a Regular.

Also, the Justin Pierre (Motion City Soundtrack) cover of Here Comes a Regular is pretty decent.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Haha probably. I don't hate on Pablo Honey as much as most people, but The Bends is definitely my favorite album. It's an absolutely fantastic record.

Agreed on the Bends. One of the best albums of the 90's.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I usually steer clear of outdoor music festivals cause of my hated or people, crowds of people, crowds of smelly people and the heat, but this line-up is RIDICULOUS (to me)

http://fyffest.com/

And a HELL of a great price for weekend passes.... I will be there

Dionsaur Jr., nice. And Against Me! is there, so you can see what the show is like with Laura Jane Grace at the helm. She did her first show last month and it apparently went really well.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Dionsaur Jr., nice. And Against Me! is there, so you can see what the show is like with Laura Jane Grace at the helm. She did her first show last month and it apparently went really well.

Yeah I'm curious to see how it all works out with her. The LA crowd should give a pretty warm reception i'd imagine.

There are at least seven bands I want to see. That is such a high number (at least for me) to be on a festival line-up. Last years FYF Fest had literally zero bands I listened to.

Also the LA Comedy scene is amazing so I imagine when the comedy line up is announced it'll be pretty stellar.