2012 NFL Draft Thread

Less than 24 hours away from the MOST EXCITING EVENT IN ALL OF SPORTS.

I joke.

I was all super excited for the Bills to pick, because they have a ton of great options at 10, and then I see a report that they may be thinking of moving up to take Kalil. And, even though I do love Kalil, that's just stupid.

To me, there are atleast 4 players who they are/should be looking at:

Kalil

Floyd

Barron

Keuchly

And you can throw Kirkpatrick or Gilmore on there too, because CB is a huge need as well. Add to it that Gailey does love his athletic QBs and Tannehill can't be ruled out either if he makes it past the Dolphins.

And they want to trade up? Jesus, any of those players (aside from Tannehill) improve the team a great deal this year. I really like the idea of Barron and using him in nickel packages to cover tight ends, which was an area where the Bills were torched last year. It never dawned on me that really is a natural fit. I like Keuchly too, but a big, strong safety seems perfect.

I'd like Floyd too but there are plenty of players they can go after at WR. They really just need a guy to consistently stretch the field. You can find that in round 2 or 3.

I'm very excited. This genuinely is one of my favorite times of the year.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Never say those words Zen, a GM can always disappoint.

lol, we'll see.

maybe the Bucs will trade down. Either way, I think it's going to be interesting to see how this thing plays out after once the Rams get on the clock.

For the Bears I really hope they go BPA, which is why at 19 its hard to predict. If I had to guess Id say:

1. Brockers. When Ive seen him play he seems explosive, got double teamed a lot but he could be a big time dT.

2. Zietler or Konz. I am seeing more drafts with one of these guys available at the Bears pick. Id love to have 2 Badgers on the O-Line and I know Tice is a fan.

3. Hopefully a DB falls here, otherwise open to WR although Id be more likely to go that route in 4th as I think there are a few receivers (McNutt, Jenkins, Toon) that all could potentially be solid.

Who knows what the Bears will do.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
lol, we'll see.

maybe the Bucs will trade down. Either way, I think it's going to be interesting to see how this thing plays out after once the Rams get on the clock.

I think a trade down is very possible, especially if the Bucs are willing to have a relatively low asking price. There are enough teams who love Fletcher Cox that jumping in front of St. Louis to ensure that pick would be well worth it. If Philly is willing to give up their 2nd with that 1st as well as maybe a 4th or a 5th, that seems like it could honestly be enough to make it worthwhile for Tampa to move down simply because they can get more value for their picks.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
Packers have 12 picks so they will probably get a little of everything, but I hope they get a pass rusher in the first couple of rounds.

With their roster, they ought to be packaging that many picks and trying to move up. Couldn't they use some DT depth behind Raji?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
With their roster, they ought to be packaging that many picks and trying to move up. Couldn't they use some DT depth behind Raji?

Raji was unbelievably bad last year. Maybe all those snaps two years ago had something to do with it, but yeah, getting some depth might help.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
If Emery can pull off something the following dream scenario:

-Trade Matt Forte for a 1st

-In the 1st, draft a DE and WR or OT

-In the 2nd, draft a RB

I might consider changing my sexual orientation.

He won't get a 1st for Forte, but a 2nd or 3rd would be ok by me.

Coby Fleener out of Joliet Catholic, though not a priority need, is going to be a beast Tight End, so if the Bears took him I would not complain. Added benefit of co-worker being best buds with him which would mean tickets!

It'd also be neat to see Fleener land in Indy with his QB Luck at the top of the 2nd round, but I'd be surprised to see him past the 1st round.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)

Yeah, they could use a DL too. Probably like a pass rushing 3-4 DE. I've seen Devon Still falling into the late first round.

You never know with the Packers though. Ted Thompson takes the best player available. So that could be Colby Fleener for all we know.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
The Bears have zero leverage in a trade negotiation.

Then there's no reason to trade him. As noted, he may hold out, but missing the season is not going to be an option for him, and the franchise tag is still more money in 1 season than he's made his entire career.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)

Exactly. With the new slotted draft, picks are f***ing expensive relative to the past. Not to mention Forte is looking for assloads of money. I can't see a team who is willing to give up decent really cheap players, plus a massive contract, for Forte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Then there's no reason to trade him. As noted, he may hold out, but missing the season is not going to be an option for him, and the franchise tag is still more money in 1 season than he's made his entire career.

Yeah, but if you can get a 3rd rounder this year for Forte, draft a guy who can be your back 1b at that spot, and let some other team pay Forte, you do it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Yeah, but if you can get a 3rd rounder this year for Forte, draft a guy who can be your back 1b at that spot, and let some other team pay Forte, you do it.

After seeing the value of RGIII in this draft, versus what it has taken to move up for a top QB in the past, things have really changed when it comes to how a draft pick is valued.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
After seeing the value of RGIII in this draft, versus what it has taken to move up for a top QB in the past, things have really changed when it comes to how a draft pick is valued.

Exactly, the chances of a holdout have gone to zero because "f*** you, this is what you get".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)

But Forte has very little leverage with the Bears. If he sits out the year, there goes $7.7 million and he gets a year older. They might be able to franchise him again too even if he sits out. I just don't see the big urge to trade him.