2012 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
Well I guess they believe their bs about the line magically getting better on it's own. Cutler is going to die this year with our line. A team run by an accountant where the coach has more power than the GM tells me another all defensive draft with overdrafts.

im ok with them not taking an O lineman - its possible they view Reiff as a RT and not a LT (probably accurately as well)...and frankly Carimi is pretty locked in there now. DeCastro would have been an OK pick, but some teams just won't take a guard that high.

It was clear they wanted a DE, but i can't help but feel like we got one that would have been there 10 picks later, with a couple better DEs still on the board

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
Anything on the offensive line makes sense.

No it doesnt. The Bears have plenty of capable guards. Sure it would be nice to upgrade but they NEEDED other positions filled before they upgrade at a position they have good depth in. If were talking OT's thats different, we certainly could use a LT. But as far as OG goes the Bears have Williams, Spencer, Louis and signed Chilo Rachal. It would make zero sense to draft a guard over a DE, WR, CB, DT, S, OT etc

No it doesnt. The Bears have plenty of capable guards. Sure it would be nice to upgrade but they NEEDED other positions filled before they upgrade at a position they have good depth in. If were talking OT's thats different, we certainly could use a LT. But as far as OG goes the Bears have Williams, Spencer, Louis and signed Chilo Rachal. It would make zero sense to draft a guard over a DE, WR, CB, DT, S, OT etc

I think insurance for our very injury prone OL, with definite future potential as a good starter, far outweighs the Bears desire to have a strong 3 DE rotation.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
I think insurance for our very injury prone OL, with definite future potential as a good starter, far outweighs the Bears desire to have a strong 3 DE rotation.

The Bears didn't have 2 good ends last year. They definitely need an end opposite peppers. I'd have preferred Whitney but what do I know. Marinelli is a very good coach on the line and hoepfully he knows talent.

The Bears didn't have 2 good ends last year. They definitely need an end opposite peppers. I'd have preferred Whitney but what do I know. Marinelli is a very good coach on the line and hoepfully he knows talent.

We didn't have two good guards, or two good tackles, or two good WR's. Izzy and Peppers can both play, we know this much, this team had bigger problems.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)

You have also said the Bears DL outside of Peppers is fine. I listed 5 guards the Bears have, how many do you think theyre going to carry? Im not defending the pick either necessarily, I dont know enough about the kid to say it was the right move but to go after a DE (whoever it may be) isnt a bad idea. When Williams and Louis were the guards last season they looked very good. Spencer is also fine and they already brought in a FA in Rachal, it would be ridiculous to draft a guard there. Id have preferred Wright, Reiff or Jones.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Two words: Dan Bazuin. This guy we drafted will barely play at all.

Clay Matthews hurts the Bears even in the offseason.

Also Michael Haynes 2.0.................................NE has moved up twice now shows how much talent was overdrafted!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
I dont mind the player, just would have preferred to have moved down a few picks to get him. I still scratch my head at people clamoring for DeCastro, that makes no sense.

To move Chris Williams out to LT where he was drafted to play.. despite what everyone thinks hes been good at LT when he had the chance to play there

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
To move Chris Williams out to LT where he was drafted to play.. despite what everyone thinks hes been good at LT when he had the chance to play there

If Chris Williams was capable of playing LT he would be playing LT period. You dont move a good LT to guard in favor of JaMarcus Webb. They dont even need DeCastro if they wanted to move Chris Williams back to LT, they could easily plug Spencer in at LG. Just because you think he can play LT doesnt mean the Bears have any intention on letting him try anymore. I havent heard ANYTHING from any Bears sources about them wanting to move Williams. But I guess you know more than Mike Tice.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
Also Michael Haynes 2.0.................................NE has moved up twice now shows how much talent was overdrafted!

The pats have drafted terribly the past few years, using that as your way of saying bears overdrafted doesnt fit.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
The pats have drafted terribly the past few years, using that as your way of saying bears overdrafted doesnt fit.

Uh I trust NE brass a hell of alot more than Chicago and until tonight, NE has drafted pretty much last 4 picks in first round for years crapshot postion.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Uh I trust NE brass a hell of alot more than Chicago and until tonight NE has drafted pretty much last 4 picks in first round for years crapshot postion.

The first round of the nfl no matter where isn't a crapshoot, if you don't draft a solid contributor to your team it's a 100% fail.