2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)

Nice addition. He has big time control issues. I wonder if they see something in his delivery. Does anyone know if he has had a problem repeating his delivery? The White Sox are good at fixing that particular issue.

Matt Eddy Matt Eddy ‏@eddymk

#WhiteSox sign RHP Andrew Brackman to minor lge deal. He joins LHPs Trevor Reckling, Daniel Moskos & David Purcey as reclamation projects.

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

Don Cooper excels at reclamation. @eddymk: #WhiteSox sign Brackman to minor lg deal. Joins Reckling, Moskos & Purcey as reclamation projects

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
larry southsidesox ‏@SouthSidelarry

Regarding Brackman, he attended Archbishop Moeller in OH. Among others, White Sox VP Buddy Bell's HS (and his sons).

As did HOF'er Barry Larkin, future HOF'er Ken Griffey Jr., and Bears receiver and ESPN-Chicago radio host Tom Waddle (who played baseball in high school as well) -- Larkin and Waddle were senior leaders of the team when young pup KGJ entered the scene as a freshman.

I know Waddle a bit personally and heard him tell the following story:

Waddle evidently held (and I believe still holds) the stolen base record at Moeller High. During Griff's later days as a pro, Waddle visited the field at Wrigley and trashed-talked jokingly in Griff's presence about holding this record. Apparently, Griff looked at Waddle with disdain and said, "Pretty tough to steal bases when you're too busy trotting around them." Zing. Score. Gotta love ribbing between teammates. And by all accounts, KGJ is a great guy.

As for Brackman ...

why the heck not see if Coop (and the Sox minor league instructors) can get something out of this reclamation project. An arm like that, with a ball delivered from a 6'10" frame, is an extreme rarity. You don't want signings like this to be the focal point of your development program, but I'm all for 3-4 of these signings each and every year (particularly with pitchers). Many newly humbled big-time former prospects will go out and do everything once given a new chance. They might never get past the "issues" that made them fail the first time around, but, you might truly have something if you can harness all of that potential.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Meghan Montemurro ‏@M_Montemurro

Hahn said at this point, OF Jared Mitchell will start season at Triple-A Charlotte. Sox want him to play everyday and get more at-bats.

Is that indicating like there was someone thinking he was going to make the MLB team out of camp? That was never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
Is that indicating like there was someone thinking he was going to make the MLB team out of camp? That was never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

*barring injuries to, say, two outfielders ahead of him (out of the starting 3 plus Wise and Danks).

Did anyone hear Nick Capra on White Sox Weekly over the weekend? He mentioned a pitcher that would have been in the rotation at Winston-Salem, and he retired on Saturday. I wasn't paying attention, so I missed the name. I went back to listen on the podcast, and it sounds like they purposely edited out that part of the interview.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
Did anyone hear Nick Capra on White Sox Weekly over the weekend? He mentioned a pitcher that would have been in the rotation at Winston-Salem, and he retired on Saturday. I wasn't paying attention, so I missed the name. I went back to listen on the podcast, and it sounds like they purposely edited out that part of the interview.

Not sure, could be a number of people. Here are the guys I'd say could at least MAYBE have been in W-S rotation this year (leaving out the guys who are known to be in camp therefore not retiring, i.e. Johnson and Snodgress,or guys I've seen tweeting from camp)...

Justin Collop

Stephen McCray

Spencer Arroyo (but again, doubt it)

Jake Petricka (but he's more likely in AA)

Ryan Buch

Jarrett Casey

Myles Jaye (I highly doubt this one as well)

Chris Hanna

Among those names, only Petricka, Arroyo, Buch and Jaye are guys I'd consider prospects. The others are org guys.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)

I'm fairly certain he said Thomas Royse. He didn't play at Winston-Salem, but he does have an extensive injury history, so I could be wrong.