7/7 at Rays

flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Good lord is our post-game show bad

If you're referring to Rongey, yes.

On the trade possibilities, yeah we get it. Some trades might happen this month. Some might be in August. Some might be in November and December. Or next July.

I'll be patient because this team is irrelevant in 2013 and 2014.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Sox 4 BBs in their last 6 contests.

17 runs in their last 8 games.

35 runs in their last 11 games, 18 of which came in the DH against Cleveland. Sad state of affairs

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
If you're referring to Rongey, yes.

On the trade possibilities, yeah we get it. Some trades might happen this month. Some might be in August. Some might be in November and December. Or next July.

I'll be patient because this team is irrelevant in 2013 and 2014.

I'm referring to Garfein/Melton. Rongey's postgame show is like a MENSA meeting compared to the CSN postgame show.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
What was worse, 2007 or this?

We're four games worse now, have no star offensive players, and haven't played the Tigers yet.

This team is going to lose 95 minimum, and may knock on the door of 100 losses.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
We're four games worse now, have no star offensive players, and haven't played the Tigers yet.

This team is going to lose 95 minimum, and may knock on the door of 100 losses.

They need to come up with a plan to limit the innings/pitches the rest of the way for Sale/Quintana/Santiago. No more of this 120 pitch nonsense.

I think we had higher expectations in 2007, so probably that. I think 2007 and 2011 are the worst recent seasons. This one will be redeemed by the fact that everyone knew this was a distinct possibility and there will definitely be a change of direction.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
They need to come up with a plan to limit the innings/pitches the rest of the way for Sale/Quintana/Santiago. No more of this 120 pitch nonsense.

I agree, and depending on what happens the rest of the month, a 6-man rotation shouldn't be out of the question.

My level of apathy is the same, but in 07 we were 2 years removed from a World Series, so i would say that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
I agree, and depending on what happens the rest of the month, a 6-man rotation shouldn't be out of the question.

I think that's a terrible idea.

Outside of Sale, these guys need innings. Sale does to a lesser extent.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
I think we had higher expectations in 2007, so probably that. I think 2007 and 2011 are the worst recent seasons. This one will be redeemed by the fact that everyone knew this was a distinct possibility and there will definitely be a change of direction.

People knew this year had a distinct possibility of being bad? Sure didn't seem that way heading into the season, in my opinion. I remember balta ripping on me for my 77-85 prediction :)

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Good lord is our post-game show bad

The game is over so I'll say this, because it's annoying.

After the first game (Friday night) of the White Sox/Rays series, Rongey said the score was 8-1 TWICE.

Surely he couldn't have just totally blown off the 8th inning and the near comeback rally....but he did.

Some nights now, there's not even anyone calling into the post-game show to b****/moan/irritate Rongey or call him a kiss ass (like Lawrence Holmes, who never wants to offend anyone in the NBA, specifically those affiliated with the Bulls) or corporate lackey, lol.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
People knew this year had a distinct possibility of being bad? Sure didn't seem that way heading into the season, in my opinion. I remember balta ripping on me for my 77-85 prediction :)

I thought we might be good, but I think we all knew the jig was up if things went south

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
I think that's a terrible idea.

Outside of Sale, these guys need innings. Sale does to a lesser extent.

They haven't announced a makeup date with the Blue Jays yet. Once they do, the Sox have 4 off days after the break.

If people are going to complain about Sox television/radio, I thought it was funny hearing Farmer say today that this Sox team never quits. Really Ed? The same team that's 1 and 38 I believe when trailing after 8 innings?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
They haven't announced a makeup date with the Blue Jays yet. Once they do, the Sox have 4 off days after the break.

Santiago has already spent 1/3 of the season in the bullpen. He needs innings if you want him to start next year. Danks desperately needs innings to get back in shape. Quintana clearly struggled with endurance at the start of the year. Peavy has missed a month and if the Sox keep him he'll need innings as well. Axelrod, well I'm the only one who hasn't written him off because of a lack of stuff, but he's still basically a rookie and he could benefit from innings as well.

Sale is going to need to get 200 innings this year if we want him to start getting 200 innings/year.

I get not throwing Sale 120 pitches. Fine. But every single other person in that rotation needs innings, as does Sale.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Santiago has already spent 1/3 of the season in the bullpen. He needs innings if you want him to start next year. Danks desperately needs innings to get back in shape. Quintana clearly struggled with endurance at the start of the year. Peavy has missed a month and if the Sox keep him he'll need innings as well. Axelrod, well I'm the only one who hasn't written him off because of a lack of stuff, but he's still basically a rookie and he could benefit from innings as well.

Sale is going to need to get 200 innings this year if we want him to start getting 200 innings/year.

I get not throwing Sale 120 pitches. Fine. But every single other person in that rotation needs innings, as does Sale.

Hopefully someone will take Danks' contract and they can keep Peavy.

That would be the dream scenario.

Danks did get a few fastballs to 91. He's getting there, slowly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Hopefully someone will take Danks' contract and they can keep Peavy.

That would be the dream scenario.

I'd like to see them both be moved. That brings back talent in the Peavy trade, clears a ton of money, opens rotation spots for several rookies who have basically earned them, and solves the "4 lefties in the rotation" problem.

I don't like dumping Danks and Peavy unless Danks brings a lot more talent than I think he gets. I don't like dumping salary for s***s and giggles, though I would dump Danks if it made Peavy more likely to stay. We can then fix the imaginary "problem" of left-handedness by letting E. Johnson eventually slide into the 5th spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
I'd like to see them both be moved. That brings back talent in the Peavy trade, clears a ton of money, opens rotation spots for several rookies who have basically earned them, and solves the "4 lefties in the rotation" problem.

I think keeping Peavy, they still have arguably a 25% chance to compete (that's gone with Johnson starting, probably) in 2014 and they can probably get a better return if they are out of it....well, they'll have 3 chances to trade him, now, the off-season and July 2014.

If Phegley can just be a decent catcher, that solves one huge offseason problem.

That said, Josh has a LOT of proving to do, even though the results these first 2 games are better than anyone could have expected or predicted. He just barely missed another homer in his first AB.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
I don't like dumping Danks and Peavy unless Danks brings a lot more talent than I think he gets. I don't like dumping salary for s***s and giggles, though I would dump Danks if it made Peavy more likely to stay. We can then fix the imaginary "problem" of left-handedness by letting E. Johnson eventually slide into the 5th spot.

If both Rienzo and Johnson are ready to take rotation spots, and they're acting like they are, they are exactly the kind of guys we want to give a shot in the rotation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)

I would gladly give him away for ALMOST nothing...payroll flexibility is more important than quibbling over getting a Tier B vs. Tier C prospect and holding out for too much.

If you get a team interested in Danks and isn't making you pay for half of his salary, then I have no problem giving him away for a mediocre package. I just don't think Danks will pitch well enough to justify that contract the next few years.

Rienzo is still a pretty big question mark. He's a guy you'd like to give a shot, yes, but not someone that I am moving heaven and earth to give a chance. Johnson is a guy that has made the case to get some starts at another player's expense. Not Rienzo, not yet. Big question marks about Rienzo's stuff being capable of being a decent starting pitcher.