Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
The 73 is just under 13% of the total number of ballots that were turned in last year.

So we're only seeing a tiny percentage. I wouldn't get excited. The ballots we're seeing are from the newer generation of writers that use Twitter and such, and those aren't the ones to be worried about. It's the old guys that aren't going to vote for him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
So we're only seeing a tiny percentage. I wouldn't get excited. The ballots we're seeing are from the newer generation of writers that use Twitter and such, and those aren't the ones to be worried about. It's the old guys that aren't going to vote for him.

True, but it also becomes more and more significant as you get a larger number of ballots tallied.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)

Good point. It's those people that won't even vote for Greg Maddux because of "first ballot, blah blah blah". Any voter who doesn't vote for Maddux should be drug into the street and shot, so that his vote can be taken away from him.

I'm surprised the Hall allows votes to be published before the announcement, and especially before the ballots have be turned in.

Suppose a voter wants to wait until the last minute (today) and make their decision based on percentages already known. That doesn't seem right.

Plus, why take the suspense out of it for announcement day? We're going to know before they open the envelope unless the percentage is right around 75%.

But I do like that Frank is probably getting in this year.

Edited by flavum

Updated: Dec. 31 - 10:55 ~ 82 Full Ballots ~ (14.4% of vote ~ based on last year)

100 - Maddux

98.8 - Glavine

87.8 - F. Thomas

82.9 - Biggio

———————————

74.4 - Piazza

64.6 - Bagwell

62.2 - Morris

56.1 - Raines

46.3 - Bonds

45.1 - Clemens

41.5 - Schilling

34.1 - Mussina

23.2 - L. Smith

23.2 - Trammell

18.3 - E. Martinez

15.9 - McGriff

12.2 - Kent

11.0 - L. Walker

11.0 - McGwire

7.3 - R. Palmeiro

7.3 - S. Sosa

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm surprised the Hall allows votes to be published before the announcement, and especially before the ballots have be turned in.

Suppose a voter wants to wait until the last minute (today) and make their decision based on percentages already known. That doesn't seem right.

Plus, why take the suspense out of it for announcement day? We're going to know before they open the envelope unless the percentage is right around 75%.

But I do like that Frank is probably getting in this year.

The discussion and controversy is excellent for business. The more the HOF can be in the news, the better things are for the HOF. That's why they'll never change to "more objevtive standards" -- they don't really care who gets in, just that there remains interest in the whole process.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
The discussion and controversy is excellent for business. The more the HOF can be in the news, the better things are for the HOF. That's why they'll never change to "more objevtive standards" -- they don't really care who gets in, just that there remains interest in the whole process.

I disagree. They don't gain anything if nobody gets in like last year. Their goal should be to get people to Cooperstown, NY.

I'd really like to see Frank, Maddux, Glavine, Biggio and Piazza all get in this year. Next year can be Pedro and Johnson. In 2016 the only sure fire HOFer is Griffey. That will really help clear the ballot and open the door for the next level guys like Mussina, Bagwell and Rock Raines. I think it is absolutely a joke that Rock Raines is not yet in the HOF.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
I'd really like to see Frank, Maddux, Glavine, Biggio and Piazza all get in this year. Next year can be Pedro and Johnson. In 2016 the only sure fire HOFer is Griffey. That will really help clear the ballot and open the door for the next level guys like Mussina, Bagwell and Rock Raines. I think it is absolutely a joke that Rock Raines is not yet in the HOF.

When is Rock's last year?