2016 Summer Olympics preparations 'worst' seen

I know one thing...I am sure it will be an impressive winter olympics (and one marred with social related scandals that will come up) but the last olympics in China and the world expos their, were both massive successes in terms of the actual presentation (I am sure they were not economic booms or anything like that though).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
I know one thing...I am sure it will be an impressive winter olympics (and one marred with social related scandals that will come up) but the last olympics in China and the world expos their, were both massive successes in terms of the actual presentation (I am sure they were not economic booms or anything like that though).

Many of the buildings, including the Bird's Nest stadium, are now ghost towns.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)

Like I said...the presentation will be awesome. I have no doubt that the actual benefits will not be awesome. That said, China has all kinds of ghost towns anyway...helps keep their economy propped.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Like I said...the presentation will be awesome. I have no doubt that the actual benefits will not be awesome. That said, China has all kinds of ghost towns anyway...helps keep their economy propped.

Well until the last couple of weeks. The bubble might be bursting there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Well until the last couple of weeks. The bubble might be bursting there.

They'll just build more ghost towns. Stabilized a bit though. Their whole economy is a relative sham based upon government mechanisms.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)

They're planning to reuse those facilities for the Opening/Closing ceremonies, Athletes' Village, etc.

From what I've seen online, it's mostly things like beach volleyball and kayaking/canoeing courses.

Not any different from Athens, Sydney or some of the former host cities. The weirdest site (like Chernobyl) is the bobsled/luge run at Sarajevo from 1984.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
They'll just build more ghost towns. Stabilized a bit though. Their whole economy is a relative sham based upon government mechanisms.

That's a bit of hyperbole, but yeah, it's hard to know the real numbers (realistically the GDP growth is probably closer to 4-6% than 7%).

With the stock market, it's not a situation like in the US where 65-70% have a stake...it's a much smaller percentage, and it doesn't reflect nearly as large a chunk of the GDP either because there are many SME's, state-owned hybrids (banks/insurance/construction) and simply private companies that haven't done IPO's or are waiting on economic conditions to shift to more favorable.

It's more the psychology of the stock market, and how it will affect consumer sentiment/buying (especially luxury goods) behavior.

From living here now for almost 5 years (off and on since 2007), I'd be more worried about the real estate bubble/ghost towns/shadow banking and margin lending side of things than the stock market bubbles, per se.

Edited by caulfield12