2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
Wasn't Tallon still the GM when Campbell and Hossa signed? Wasn't the rumor back then that it actually was Mc Cub who signed Campbell?

Yes. The "organization mishandling" of the Hossa deal was the excuse the Blackhawks needed to fire Dale Tallon and put in Stan Bowman (good move). The Campbell contract was early on in McDonough's tenure and everyone knew it was a bad deal. That being said, the Campbell contract was honestly better than the Bickell one is for the Hawks now.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
Yes. The "organization mishandling" of the Hossa deal was the excuse the Blackhawks needed to fire Dale Tallon and put in Stan Bowman (good move). The Campbell contract was early on in McDonough's tenure and everyone knew it was a bad deal.

Yes my bad. Campbell was in 2008, Bowman became GM in 2009. My bad

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 04:10 AM)
Yes. The "organization mishandling" of the Hossa deal was the excuse the Blackhawks needed to fire Dale Tallon and put in Stan Bowman (good move). The Campbell contract was early on in McDonough's tenure and everyone knew it was a bad deal. That being said, the Campbell contract was honestly better than the Bickell one is for the Hawks now.

you bring up a great point. but let me try to make a point and explain that point. now remember this is my opinion.

a group of friends were talking at the time of the hossa deal. the hawks had no credibility with anyone, at the time they were not even selling out the games.

the only way to change that, imo was to get a elite fa, a player who is a game changer. but who will want to come to chi???

so they were forced to over pay, to really over pay and dangle the money.... and he signed. not, he also started to recruit other fa to try to come to chi. this was the little stuff that may or may not have been mention.

today, many see the 3 SC some great hockey players, stars in the nhl, but think back to 2 yr before all that good things happen. how was it then, how was the media then....

now, well to some and me too, he may be over paid, but he did do a lot of good for the chi blackhawks, should that be taken into consideration???

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
No worries. I often try to forget the Campbell contract.

The thing is Campbell was a solid player. He was just being paid double what he should have.. At the time though, it was the only way to get established talent to Chicago.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)

What was the mishandling of the Hossa deal?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah, I don't see it as a bad deal at all, YET.

When it was signed, the key was always if he retires after the 2016-2017 season. As many know, in the final 4 years of the deal, Hossa is scheduled to make one million each season, but obviously the cap hit stays at 5.275.

I still think it's sort of trending that way, that he hangs them up after that season is over. If that happens, the deal was an absolute home run. If he hangs around when he is 38, 39, ect, they have a huge problem.

So if he retires after 2016-17, do the Hawks pay him $1 million per year still, but have zero cap hit?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)
I believe if you file retirement papers, the team is no longer obligated to pay any committed money.

Now that is where it gets a little tricky because you would assume the Hawks probably worked something out with Hossa when the deal was signed. Once he is retired and no longer a member of the organization, is there anything stopping them from paying Hossa 4 million dollars in one lump sum for a random autograph signing? I know it's crazy, but teams do a bunch of crazy stuff to circumvent the cap.

It's why those types of deals are no longer allowed in the NHL.

This is why I like baseball contracts. :lol: If a guy signs a 5 yr/$100 million deal, he's going to get $100 million, even if cut. Simple.

last yr, sb made 2 trades, toward the end of the season, one of those trade help with the winning of the SC.... now this is my opinion.

so in order to look at how the team is and what is or will be needed, which position will be address??

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 05:19 AM)
I believe if you file retirement papers, the team is no longer obligated to pay any committed money.

Now that is where it gets a little tricky because you would assume the Hawks probably worked something out with Hossa when the deal was signed. Once he is retired and no longer a member of the organization, is there anything stopping them from paying Hossa 4 million dollars in one lump sum for a random autograph signing? I know it's crazy, but teams do a bunch of crazy stuff to circumvent the cap.

It's why those types of deals are no longer allowed in the NHL.

that is interesting and really thinking outside the box. but wouldn't the lawyers have thought of that in the cba???

just asking.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 07:10 AM)
Probably, to be honest. I was throwing out a wild and a fairly outlandish idea, but again in theory it's possible.

At the end of 2016-2017, Hossa would have made a little over 90 million in his career. 4 million is 4 million, I would never think less of someone for wanting every cent of it, but my money is Hossa walking away from that 4 million that is owed to him over the last 4 years.

a million dollars is still a lot of money. i really don't know about that... i can see it, to me, it will depend on his pride. would he like to be known for the player he was before or would he want a million dollars a yr. i don't know. this is a hard guess.

but the hawks are stuck, they really need a line 1 or line 3 winger who has talent. this salary cap is a hard cap and that is screwing up many teams.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah, I don't see it as a bad deal at all, YET.

When it was signed, the key was always if he retires after the 2016-2017 season. As many know, in the final 4 years of the deal, Hossa is scheduled to make one million each season, but obviously the cap hit stays at 5.275.

I still think it's sort of trending that way, that he hangs them up after that season is over. If that happens, the deal was an absolute home run. If he hangs around when he is 38, 39, ect, they have a huge problem.

That's not true anymore though. Those old deals were not grandfathered into the post-lockout CBA. If Hossa retires early, the Hawks will face cap penalties for those extra years to "recapture" the cap savings from the earlier years of the contract. Not franchise-crippling penalties, but they could be a couple million. I would have to look up the exact numbers later (RIP CapGeek). I know that if Roberto Luongo retires early, the Canucks will face cap penalties even though he is now a Florida Panther.

That being said, the deal was signed under the old CBA, looked like a great deal and was key to winning 3 Cups, so I'm still confused as to what "mishandling" the previous posts were referring to with Hossa.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
That's not true anymore though. Those old deals were not grandfathered into the post-lockout CBA. If Hossa retires early, the Hawks will face cap penalties for those extra years to "recapture" the cap savings from the earlier years of the contract. Not franchise-crippling penalties, but they could be a couple million. I would have to look up the exact numbers later (RIP CapGeek). I know that if Roberto Luongo retires early, the Canucks will face cap penalties even though he is now a Florida Panther.

That being said, the deal was signed under the old CBA, looked like a great deal and was key to winning 3 Cups, so I'm still confused as to what "mishandling" the previous posts were referring to with Hossa.

i would be wrong in trying to post for him, since i really didn't know his mindset on making the org post.

but i took it as the contract when sign was a long one and the salary for that length of the contract. now, with the cba in place and all the penalties and such, finding ways around the cba, i think many may not know how it will affect the hawks salary cap. again that is how i took it and again, i may be really screwed up in that.

but since you appear to know a lot of the cba, can you pls answer this, hossa contract calls for something like 1 mil for the next 4 yrs after this one, correct??

yet the hawks salary cap hit will still be in the 5.5+ mil a yr all the way thru to the end of the contract, how is that???

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
What was the mishandling of the Hossa deal?

Edit: sorry not Hossa. All the other FAs that summer.

I had almost forgotten about this,but the link below explains this better than I ever could. It wasn't the deal itself but a potentially costly misstep the Blackhawks leveraged to fire Tallon. This was all despite the obvious sentiment that Bowman was groomed as his replacement all along.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,174746

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)

I had almost forgotten about this,but the link below explains this better than I ever could. It wasn't the deal itself but a potentially costly misstep the Blackhawks leveraged to fire Tallon. This was all despite the obvious sentiment that Bowman was groomed as his replacement all along.

i was totally way wrong in what i thought you were referring to.

on what you posted, i forgot about that clerical mistake..... i still, imo think something else might have happen, but no gossip, rumors or anything on those events. then again maybe it was a screw up as it was said.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)

Yeah, the qualifying offer mishap definitely got Tallon out the door quicker. Pretty convenient timing for the Hawks if you do believe Bowman was getting the job one way or another.