Masters

Texsox

I'm in. Finally decided for English and against Psychology. (BA in both). I'm trying to decide between Comp and Rhetoric (better for what is left of my career) or Literature, where my interests push me. I am also trying to decide between thesis and not.

One of my professors thinks it should be a slam dunk for me, thesis and comp, follow what I am good at and where I could carve our a 15-20 year career. (If I want to work that much longer).

Another said lit for about the same reasons. Believing I could rise high enough in a more crowded field to build a career.

I am also concerned about the course load and working lots of hours. Just how much harder are grad classes compared to undergrad?

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm in. Finally decided for English and against Psychology. (BA in both). I'm trying to decide between Comp and Rhetoric (better for what is left of my career) or Literature, where my interests push me. I am also trying to decide between thesis and not.

One of my professors thinks it should be a slam dunk for me, thesis and comp, follow what I am good at and where I could carve our a 15-20 year career. (If I want to work that much longer).

Another said lit for about the same reasons. Believing I could rise high enough in a more crowded field to build a career.

I am also concerned about the course load and working lots of hours. Just how much harder are grad classes compared to undergrad?

Thoughts?

You'll do just fine.

How much is it going to cost you?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
You'll do just fine.

How much is it going to cost you?

I haven't calculated it yet. UTPA is a heavily supported state university with low in-state tuition and three miles from my house. My guess is around $16k. This isn't an investment I expect a material reward from. I love being in a classroom both as a teacher and a student.

A bit late to the party, the Masters were last weekend, Bubba Watson won in a playoff.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Good luck!

That was exactly the reason I clicked on the thread was because I thought it was about golf. My degrees are in math, so I'm about the last person to give Tex advice on how to pursue an English degree.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
That was exactly the reason I clicked on the thread was because I thought it was about golf. My degrees are in math, so I'm about the last person to give Tex advice on how to pursue an English degree.

Actually as I calculate wether I can handle nine hours or six I've been asking how they found the coursework during grad school compared to their undergrad. If it is only a slight to moderate bump, nine hours should be a piece of cake. If it required much more work, in the neighborhood of 2 or 3x, then I may consider only taking six hours.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)

Thoughts?

I've actually found my grad classes a bit easier than undergrad. I feel like the classes are more focused and concise. On the other hand, I may have just grown up a bit since undergrad and can focus more.

All of my classes have been a different level of work, but they've ranged from 1/2 hour - 3 hours/week of extracurricular work/studying.

(masters of accountancy)

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
I've actually found my grad classes a bit easier than undergrad. I feel like the classes are more focused and concise. On the other hand, I may have just grown up a bit since undergrad and can focus more.

All of my classes have been a different level of work, but they've ranged from 1/2 hour - 3 hours/week of extracurricular work/studying.

(masters of accountancy)

Usually, if a class is done well, both of these should be true. Upper undergrad/grad classes should be more difficult than intro classes, but the difficulty should come from the fact that it's building on material you've already done, not from just having work piled on top of you.

Piling work on top of you is the point of a thesis.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
I am thinking about how to tie a thesis into soxtalk. There has to be a Comp and Rhetoric thesis in here somewhere.

I'm not sure how you'd do it, but the most interesting aspect of Soxtalk for me is how seemingly innocent topics get sideways in a hurry. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56397

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 07:06 AM)
I am thinking about how to tie a thesis into soxtalk. There has to be a Comp and Rhetoric thesis in here somewhere.

The Thank You/introduction section of mine may have wound up including the phrase "2005 Chicago White Sox" somewhere in the family/wife section.

There are several aspects of web rhetoric that is covered in my program. I'm thinking the Martin-Zimmerman thread might be the entire thesis. From Baseball to World Issues: How one on-line community saves the world. 80 pages? Not a problem.