Ozzie wants a new #2 hitter

beck72

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Name dropper...and I once was friends with a girl, who slept with Chris Crawford, from the Marquette Men's basketball team, who looks a lot like Paul Konerko.  True story.

I think mentioning my past with Belle is way past name dropping at this point. :lol:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Lugo... defensive downgrade from Uribe, plays 2B, SS.  Hit .295 last year with 39 sbs.  His name has recently popped up in a couple rumors (non Sox-related).

Lugo, wife beater, no thanks.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Was this ever actually proven?  I'd love to have him on the team regardless.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0501/1547624.html

Charges were later dropped.

And no, someone who puts themself in a position like this I don't want on our team.

Let him rot in Tampa.

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I think a good cheap option to fill in some speed is Kenny Lofton. Left Handed, high OBP(.395), good speed (22SB/3CS), tons of experience.  He is at a stage in his career where he only expects 250-350 AB's, he would be a great replacement for Timo.

I know this isn't exactly what Ozzie wanted, he's probably looking for a full-time player to bat #2, and I have a sneaky feeling we will see both Anderson and Borchard on this team, which would make getting another OF out of the question. 

But if one of those guys get's moved, Lofton would be a great addition, and if Pods got banged up like he did in the 2nd half this year, Lofton is a proven lead-off hitter who could slip right in there without us losing too much.

I know that this isn't a likely signing at this point, too crowded in the outfield at the moment, but Lofton has always been a great player, seems to end up on winning teams a lot, has tons of experience, is left-handed, fits the mold of what this team is about, and should come fairly cheap.

Why would any White Sox fan want Kenny Lofton? I don't know if those rumors about him being a Cub fan is the reason why he played horrible here, but I do remember him here. I thought the reason KW traded him was because he was a selfish player. I remember the play where he was asked to sacrifice bunt a guy over. Instead of just getting the bunt down he was trying to bunt for a base hit. He bunted foul on a third strike and was out without moving the runner over. That is selfish. Instead of just getting it down and giving himself up for the team he was trying to get one down for a hit, EVEN ON A 2 STRIKE COUNT!!

Steff you dated Albert Belle? I heard he is very smart. Is it true that he is an Eagle Scout? Was he angry a lot?

Is there any way you think he may be talking about Owens? I mean, slap hitter, OBP, high avg speed, cheap. I dont see why he couldnt be a possible option to try out the spot in spring training. Frankly I dont see why everyone thinks we are going to buy a free agent or trade a starter just to aquire a possible replacement for a #2 hitter who performed well. If they cant fill it from within, you dont fix what is not broken.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Joe did an amazing job.. I'm not taking anything away from him at all. But I'd be a lot more hesitant to let him go if A. he was more consistant, and B. Boras wasn't his agent. No doubt they had a great time... but memories don't pay the bills.  :unsure:

I agree, Steff.

I never thought about dealing Crede this offseason. I was pretty sure it would be Rowand. But Crede is an interesting option. Given the post season he had, his value has never been higher. You could get a lot of quailty for him if you packaged him in a trade with someone like Marte.

They are grooming Fields for 3B, and Uribe can play the position until he is ready. In this scenario, and in combination with Ozzies comments, I could see the Sox get in the Furcal game.

Also, IMHO Furcal would never accept playing out of position to play with the Yankees. He would be asking to be skewered by the NY press the minute he makes a critical outfield error while being payed a hefty contract from King George. It's the Cubs and the Mets right now. And if the above were the case, potentially the White Sox.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
Did you guys go trick-or-treating together?

Did he let you drive?

I'm SORRY.....I had to......I just HAD to......

:lol:

Yeah did he let you drive? That was a good question. Did he let you play with the radio?

But trick or treating? Come on, he must have been in his late 20s. He is not trick or treating. That is a bad question.

Hey not many people know that Albert Belle is extremely smart. He received scholarship offers to go to both Notre Dame and LSU ACADEMICALLY. I believe he has an accounting degree from LSU, but I am not sure about that.

QUOTE(Clarkdog @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I agree, Steff.

I never thought about dealing Crede this offseason. I was pretty sure it would be Rowand. But Crede is an interesting option. Given the post season he had, his value has never been higher. You could get a lot of quailty for him if you packaged him in a trade with someone like Marte.

They are grooming Fields for 3B, and Uribe can play the position until he is ready. In this scenario, and in combination with Ozzies comments, I could see the Sox get in the Furcal game.

Also, IMHO Furcal would never accept playing out of position to play with the Yankees. He would be asking to be skewered by the NY press the minute he makes a critical outfield error while being payed a hefty contract from King George. It's the Cubs and the Mets right now. And if the above were the case, potentially the White Sox.

soooo.....Move probably the AL's gold glove (realistically) SS to 3B to make room for an expensive FA that we dont really need? Then Trade away a possible GG 3B who was a HUGE part of our defense and playoffs last year because we want somewhere to stick our GG SS? Seems like alot of tinkering of a team just because we MAY want to try someone else at the #2 spot.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Yeah did he let you drive? That was a good question. Did he let you play with the radio?

But trick or treating? Come on, he must have been in his late 20s. He is not trick or treating. That is a bad question.

Hey not many people know that Albert Belle is extremely smart. He received scholarship offers to go to both Notre Dame and LSU ACADEMICALLY. I believe he has an accounting degree from LSU, but I am not sure about that.

Apparently this story has faded with time....and I'm not passing any kind of judgment on Belle, I was just poking a little fun at Steff is all.... :cheers to Steff:

Albert Belle after nearly running over a trick-or-treating teenager who had egged the slugger's home in Cleveland on Halloween: "As soon as I caught up with him, I slammed on the brakes . . . The truck kind of skidded, and it slid and bumped him. He fell down . . . [then] he jumped back up and started running . . . It's a shame when people target athletes. If they had done the same thing to my next-door neighbor and he had chased them, they wouldn't have filed a report."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
soooo.....Move probably the AL's gold glove (realistically) SS to 3B to make room for an expensive FA that we dont really need?  Then Trade away a possible GG 3B who was a HUGE part of our defense and playoffs last year because we want somewhere to stick our GG SS?  Seems like alot of tinkering of a team just because we MAY want to try someone else at the #2 spot.

C'mon what's not to like?! It's fantasy baseball GM time

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Apparently this story has faded with time....and I'm not passing any kind of judgment on Belle, I was just poking a little fun at Steff is all.... :cheers to Steff:

It's all good. It's more comical then anything else. :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
soooo.....Move probably the AL's gold glove (realistically) SS to 3B to make room for an expensive FA that we dont really need?  Then Trade away a possible GG 3B who was a HUGE part of our defense and playoffs last year because we want somewhere to stick our GG SS?  Seems like alot of tinkering of a team just because we MAY want to try someone else at the #2 spot.

great points, RR. would anyone else in the league but Uribe been able to make that last play of game 4 of the WS?

i also think you are right about maybe not moving Iguchi from the #2 spot. in the first half Pods and Gooch could have been the best 1-2 combo in baseball, they did everything right for their roles.

I always liked Albert. I didn't care what the media said about him. I seriously always thought he was just a guy with a ton of talent, but didn't want the fame, and he always seemed like a pretty shy guy. Sometimes shyness can be mistaken for arrogance. I know this from a personal stand. I'm VERY shy and don't react in crowds well at all, or with the "spotlight" (unless I am on stage with my guitar strapped on). So I tend to run from people and situations, and for years in the bands people thought I had a bad ego problem. I saw that same thing in Belle, I always thought.

And we better not get rid of Crede until we see if he did find the correction in his swing that would improve his game, as he claims to have done during his time off, and as we have seen since his return.

Edited by Kid Gleason